forum

Editor Mode Notes/Annotation

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +60
Topic Starter
FishHook
I've always thought it would be convenient to somehow add little notes at parts of songs in map editor mode to leave the creative spur of the moment ideas you get. I imagine it could be combined with the bookmark feature somehow. Kinda like how in Microsoft Powerpoint you can add little notes in each slide to remind you about what ideas to present. You can see them, the viewers will not, the final presentation will be given better then if the notes you jotted down weren't there. Get where I'm going with this? The end result of mapping, I feel, will have a better presentation / flow / development / end product.

I'm guessing the majority of mappers don't start and finish a map in one sitting unless you're one of those caffeine/heroine osu! addicts. Leaving some notes behind before hitting the sack to remind you of the epic ideas you had that may be forgotten could be saved.

"Oh! That section would be great with 1/1 sliders with gradually increased spacing which leads to etc...." Ctrl+<inset key> insets a bookmark, you add the note, tomorrow you can click on the bookmark via the timescale at the top of the editor screen to see what it said. (The note text showing at the top of the screen where the editor tips appear.)

The next day you may think of something better for the section, or you forgot about it and decide to do something else less epic.

What do y'all think about this?
peppy
I have a vision which takes this one level higher, allowing shared notes for modding etc.

Let's see when that gets implemented :P.
blissfulyoshi
Just to note: this was sort of asked for before viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8527
On a similar note: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16204

(For reference, not sure what else to do with the post)
Topic Starter
FishHook
thanks for the quick responses peppy and blissfulyoshi. I tried searching "map editor notes" and nothing appeared in the search engine. Looking forward to what my become of this. =)
mm201

peppy wrote:

I have a vision which takes this one level higher, allowing shared notes for modding etc.

Let's see when that gets implemented :P.
Subtle hint much? :o
TheVileOne
I think this might be a good idea. I think that some form of dev notes would be beneficial to the modding process. I'm not sure about having it on the timeline though as that would be a lot more difficult to implement than if it were in the song setup area.

It would allow us to include notes about particular features so modders will have a clue on what's mapper style and what's mapper error. It could also be used to clue mappers in on what type of flow the map was going for. Modders could use that to critique parts of the song that don't seem to match up with the mapper's intentions.
TheVileOne
I've found that such an idea would be most beneficial to the teaching process if this were implemented. Also well detailed mapper notes would cut back on modding time, because it allows the mapper to share his vision for the map, thus informing modders on what to mention or suggest. I'm sure every modder has had a time when they've been clearly not on the same page as the mapper when they make a mod. This feature would surely be a worthwhile feature and so it gets a vote from me.

And blissfulyoshi, nice linking to a 3 year old map that you made. :p I'm sure necroing that wouldn't have been the most proper thing to do.
drum drum
I've recently started to get into modding,

For one, my memory is pretty bad. I get side tracked, distracted, and forget things. In the past with other things I've used commenting (like in code) to help remember what does what , or what is going on here or there.

Now, I know that you can leave advice on the submission thread, but it would help to have a bit of in-game organization. It would just help a lot with people who have my kind of problems.
Appearance suggestion
I was thinking of something like a transparent green panel that appears under the timeline bar with your notes and comments:

In the case of multiple comments that are close to each other:
  1. Comments could have a minimize tab that makes the comment box a stub
  2. Minimized tabs automatically open when they are passed by the tracking bar
  3. If users find the comment stubs annoying they can always hide comments
The good parts of this in my opinion and in summary:
  1. People who have attention deficit will be able to edit/mod maps a lot more efficiently. It would also make it easier on them in general.
  2. Mappers could leave comments on their maps, thus improving modder&mapper communication.
  3. Note making, taking, and comment making are pretty much essentials when you are creating or editing something.
  4. Again, it would be a pretty useful feature to have. I see a lot of potential w/ utilization of comments/notes

Some considerations I'm aware of:
  1. If this was made locally, it would require/use more data.
  2. Comments could be managed like how beatmaps have the comments displayed on replays (as a counter to above bullet)

If I missed anything or said something wrong feel free to correct me.
Oinari-sama
It'll make communication a lot easier :)
Takuneru

Oinari-sama wrote:

It'll make communication a lot easier :)
Yes it would. I thought about something very similiar a few days ago while mapping. It could be used in addition to the bookmarks for example, and simplify the modding process and understand easily what the mapper wanted to do if he left something to explain a pattern for example.
peppy even stated he had something in mind that would be even more advanced... Now as this year is a year full of internal changes and such, maybe this could get implemented as well, dunno if peppy still remember that...
But one thing is for sure, it'll be a neat feature to add in mapping. You can have my star and support on this idea !
Renevant
Hopefully this didn't get forgotten. This would be really nice and convenient.
Bobbias
This is definitely one of the more useful suggestions. I'd love to see something like this actually get implemented.
Pituophis
BUMP
Surprised this doesn't get more support. Would be really useful.