forum

We need more locked threads

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
Hear me out.

When there were more threads locked, we had to make new threads to be able to post something. The content was boiling, OT was lively. With Uni rarely locking, I have noticed the forum started to slow down. A lot. Stupid threads popped up that were never locked, causing stale content. This eventually causes a feedback loop where the forum cools down enough that memes and inside jokes die down too, which causes even more stale and unrelated content. We need to raise the heat again!
Lyawi
I assume because you all moved to Discord?
ColdTooth

abraker wrote:

Hear me out.

When there were more threads locked, we had to make new threads to be able to post something. The content was boiling, OT was lively. With Uni rarely locking, I have noticed the forum started to slow down. A lot. Stupid threads popped up that were never locked, causing stale content. This eventually causes a feedback loop where the forum cools down enough that memes and inside jokes die down too, which causes even more stale and unrelated content. We need to raise the heat again!
there are more locked threads, it's called they get wastelanded
johnmedina999

Lyawi wrote:

Yes, this is it. That discord server was a mistake. It changed OT by making its content more meta. Before, we never had any means to easily communicate with each other, and that brought on things like metaposting (e.g. this thread), coordinated spamming, and inside jokes which only someone from the server could possibly hope to understand. I knew this was going to happen one week after the server was created, but couldn't do anything to stop it. Oh well, I guess.
Uni

abraker wrote:

Hear me out.

I'm sorry b0ss I'll work it on :(
Zekks
look what you fucking did abraker, you made it do the thing again
kai99
i like it tho we dont have obligations to keep ot alive
yes it's a stale place and it's on life support but yakno it's not dying yet
Tae
You do realise new people will come along either way?
Just because you're not flooding the forum with threads doesn't mean it's dead. Just look at the other sections, for example.
Topic Starter
abraker

Lyawi wrote:

I barely see this as main reason why there are no new threads. Some discussion, like Railey's car death debate, could be stuck or almost stuck in just discord, but there are not plenty topics and discussion in discord that would have, historically, made a great thread in OT. Historically, original content is what thrives, which is something that discord server has none of. So I am not worried at all that the discord server made less of those as they would have been shit anyway.

johnmedina999 wrote:

It changed OT by making its content more meta. Before, we never had any means to easily communicate with each other, and that brought on things like metaposting (e.g. this thread), coordinated spamming, and inside jokes which only someone from the server could possibly hope to understand.
It changed content, but did not affect the quantity of it. The easier means to communicate should have affected the ITT thread at most. Communication in OT easily spirals off track, and is and always was ineffective.

kai99 wrote:

i like it tho we dont have obligations to keep ot alive
yes it's a stale place and it's on life support but yakno it's not dying yet
I think I subconsciously made it my obligation :\

Tae wrote:

You do realise new people will come along either way?
Just because you're not flooding the forum with threads doesn't mean it's dead. Just look at the other sections, for example.
I am not worried about OT in the future, it always accelerates back up, however I am talking about my observations thus far. There being an authoritarian mod to lock threads might have been a good thing to keep things flowing and dynamic.
Endaris

abraker wrote:

Lyawi wrote:

I barely see this as main reason why there are no new threads. Some discussion, like Railey's car death debate, could be stuck or almost stuck in just discord, but there are not plenty topics and discussion in discord that would have, historically, made a great thread in OT. Historically, original content is what thrives, which is something that discord server has none of. So I am not worried at all that the discord server made less of those as they would have been shit anyway.
You, sir, live behind the moon.
I know, it is for science and everything but I'd recommend frequent communication with the mothership.
Topic Starter
abraker

Starlog 143

It's the year 30XX and I have yet to hear word from the other side of the OT galaxy. It's been long since I left the fellow denizens in search for a greater meme in the cosmos. Each passing galactic year I plug in the holodisk into the gigacomputer with a 2017 copy of the entire internet to remember the great times we had. I wonder how they are now. I bet B1rd has converted a few star systems to capitalism by now. John is likely running an intersolar news network. Blitzfrog is... actually, I have no idea what he does without me around. Kai is being kai. Railey I believe went out like me to find something more wild and edgy. Endaris, he is ...

[ INCOMING TRANSMISSION ]

...oh speak of the devil.
Argh this signal sucks. I hope I can make out what he is saying.

• You, sį̕͜͞r̴̨,̡̧̀ ̨͘͝live b-beh̴̢͢͡i͟͟͡͡n̸҉͜d the mò̸͠o҉̢͝n̢̢̛.
    I̡̧͝ ̶̴̧҉k̴҉̸͠now, it is for̵̨̨͟͡ ͠҉̸͢͞ş̨̕c̵̡͘i̛͡e̢͘͢n̨̢ć̕͜e҉̨́̕ ̸̀͟҉a̴̕ņ̷d̶̶͘͢͢ ̶̀͏ę̢͘͟͠v͘͢͜erything but ̶̶̵́I̡҉́'̵̧́̀d reco̧̢͏̶͜m̴͘m̧͠ȩ̵͘̕n̸͡҉d̴̡͟͢ ̡͘͡͠f̸̡̀r̀҉̧̢͠e͏̛q̶̧͜͟ù̸ent comḿú͘҉nicatio̸̵̡̧͠n with̷̡ ̡̛́͟͜t҉̢̀͟h̴͏́e͞͞ ̡̕͠m̵̡̢̛̀ǫt͏̸͠͡h̶̶͢͡e̷͝rship.
[ END OF TRANSMISSION ]

Oh OT. It never changes. I don't know what I expected, but the silence was nice while it lasted.
Serraionga
kai99
omg this is gold wherever this thread is going
Meah
baby shark doo doo doo doo doo doo
Jun Maeda
Meah doo doo
Blitzfrog

abraker wrote:

Starlog 143

It's the year 30XX and I have yet to hear word from the other side of the OT galaxy. It's been long since I left the fellow denizens in search for a greater meme in the cosmos. Each passing galactic year I plug in the holodisk into the gigacomputer with a 2017 copy of the entire internet to remember the great times we had. I wonder how they are now. I bet B1rd has converted a few star systems to capitalism by now. John is likely running an intersolar news network. Blitzfrog is... actually, I have no idea what he does without me around. Kai is being kai. Railey I believe went out like me to find something more wild and edgy. Endaris, he is ...

[ INCOMING TRANSMISSION ]

...oh speak of the devil.
Argh this signal sucks. I hope I can make out what he is saying.

• You, sį̕͜͞r̴̨,̡̧̀ ̨͘͝live b-beh̴̢͢͡i͟͟͡͡n̸҉͜d the mò̸͠o҉̢͝n̢̢̛.
    I̡̧͝ ̶̴̧҉k̴҉̸͠now, it is for̵̨̨͟͡ ͠҉̸͢͞ş̨̕c̵̡͘i̛͡e̢͘͢n̨̢ć̕͜e҉̨́̕ ̸̀͟҉a̴̕ņ̷d̶̶͘͢͢ ̶̀͏ę̢͘͟͠v͘͢͜erything but ̶̶̵́I̡҉́'̵̧́̀d reco̧̢͏̶͜m̴͘m̧͠ȩ̵͘̕n̸͡҉d̴̡͟͢ ̡͘͡͠f̸̡̀r̀҉̧̢͠e͏̛q̶̧͜͟ù̸ent comḿú͘҉nicatio̸̵̡̧͠n with̷̡ ̡̛́͟͜t҉̢̀͟h̴͏́e͞͞ ̡̕͠m̵̡̢̛̀ǫt͏̸͠͡h̶̶͢͡e̷͝rship.
[ END OF TRANSMISSION ]

Oh OT. It never changes. I don't know what I expected, but the silence was nice while it lasted.

Diary #978

5th March 2978:

We have been attacked by aliens. We are all going to die. Everyone is being infested and coming back to life as another individual. They're faster, stronger, more ferocious and lewd. Each day, thousands of people are being converted and it is only happening faster. Government has been corrupted and the free market is established since there are no policies anymore. John still hasn't returned from his mission. I presume he has found elsewhere to live. Railey and Endaris has been converted, the last time I saw them, they were trying to stab me. Luckily I was in a truck and ran them over - But they're still alive and hunting. It's been decades since I have heard Dad. He has sailed off, with kai sneaking into the plane without his notice. They're both far away. I hope someone finds this someday.
Topic Starter
abraker

Starlog 144

I have analyzed the signal recieved a few galactic picoseconds prior. After clearing the corruption caused by the intergalactic medium, I finally heard Endaris's not so amusing voice. I could have almost missed it, but there was an encoded message within the message- from a royal scientist. Turns out this messages has a signature, a signiture from none other than that cancerous toad I used to know. The contents of the message itself is very perplexing. Something went terribly wrong. Looks like the ET hunters have failed even with the 2,000 parallel fire technology and top koren fighters they should have had. Railey is back on Earth? John went on some kind of interstellar mission, and kai went- WHAT? Turns out I fucking killed kai seven centuries back when I took off. I thought that was just a bump. Looking at the date- it was sent about an Earth Century ago. This is plain impossible. I am on the other side of the galaxy. That's about 100,000 light years away. No information can make its own warp drive. How did this arrive within a century? And why did that toad say he hasn't heard from me for some decades when it's centuries? This is very unsettling.

I hit the engines and make way for my home, Earth. Long time no see, old friend.
ColdTooth
stop you two are not funny
kai99
am i ded
Zekks

ColdTooth wrote:

stop you two are not funny
Serraionga

Blitzfrog wrote:

Diary #978

5th March 2978:

We have been attacked by aliens. We are all going to die. Everyone is being infested and coming back to life as another individual. They're faster, stronger, more ferocious and lewd. Each day, thousands of people are being converted and it is only happening faster. Government has been corrupted and the free market is established since there are no policies anymore. John still hasn't returned from his mission. I presume he has found elsewhere to live. Railey and Endaris has been converted, the last time I saw them, they were trying to stab me. Luckily I was in a truck and ran them over - But they're still alive and hunting. It's been decades since I have heard Dad. He has sailed off, with kai sneaking into the plane without his notice. They're both far away. I hope someone finds this someday.
Is this...?

Topic Starter
abraker

abraker wrote:

Hear me out.

This might be more relevant now than ever
DJ Enetro
Let me get something straight...

Are you saying that the presence of a mod that constantly locks is required to produce quality content?
Topic Starter
abraker

DJ Enetro wrote:

Let me get something straight...

Are you saying that the presence of a mod that constantly locks is required to produce quality content?
No, not at all

There are 2 things to take away from this:
  • We do need locked threads to produce more threads
    Lack of locked threads leaves an overwhelming amount of shit threads present
Both are independent on the matter whether the next thread will be a shit thread or not
show more