forum

[Rule] No mapset can have more than 6 total difficulties

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lunah_old
No mapset can have more than 6 total difficulties. Too many difficulties in a mapset becomes pointless and just makes the set much bigger than it needs to be.
are taiko difficulties included in this rule? it should be specified
Raging Bull
Yeah I believe they are.

Does approval count too anyways?
kanpakyin
I think approval can get a exception of this.
Sakura
Probably not an exception, but a bigger limit, i mean look at Moskau
ziin
6 should be the hard maximum for approval and ranking. If you want more maps on your difficulty, split them into separate beatmaps.
2 is the hard minimum for ranking.

Not only is a 6 difficulty beatmap tedious to mod already, but there's bound to be many mistakes which are likely to be passed over.

having a total playing time of 20 minutes is around the limit for a decent mod.
Mismagius

ziin wrote:

6 should be the hard maximum for approval and ranking. If you want more maps on your difficulty, split them into separate beatmaps.
That's ridiculous for approval maps. Approving two (or even more) maps of the same song just for this is just useless when you can just have one map for it.
OzzyOzrock
Difficulties are usually only a few bytes of size. We could maybe encourage larger taiko spreads tee hee.

GIVE US TAIKO MODDERS SOME MORE WORK
Larto

ziin wrote:

If you want more maps on your difficulty, split them into separate beatmaps.
Impossible as far as I know. If the beatmaps have the same artist and title, they're gonna be recognized as the very same maps by the BSS.
Also, what again was the reasoning for having 6 difficulties at max? I'm not exactly sure what justifies it at this point, except for possibly avoiding clutter...
mm201
I don't see what the problem is with lots of difficulties. As long as the lower difficulties are fairly represented, it should be okay.
Mashley
The one problem for me with having too many diffs is that the player can get confused when the first download the map, and think 'Which diff am I supposed to play?'. Not a big deal, but still.
Shiirn

Larto wrote:

Impossible as far as I know. If the beatmaps have the same artist and title, they're gonna be recognized as the very same maps by the BSS.
Inspector K - Disconnected Hardkore (CanBlaster Remix)

it's possible.

I think having an organized maximum is best used to avoid people spreading tons of one difficulty level compared to others (cough8insanes)
mm201
Then make that the rule: no more than 33% insanes or something like that.
Larto

Shiirn wrote:

it's possible.
"remix)"
"Remix)"

That doesn't count and is silly and can't always be done.
Luna
What about the masterpiece maps?
Those were split and work alright. And unless I'm blind, their titles are identical.

/E: Oh wait, those are from different mappers orz
eldnl
A lot of difficulties is not a good idea, 4 difficulties (Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane) it's perfect, also you can add an "Extra insane difficulty" for pro players and taiko difficulties, but more than that is just crap.
Mismagius

eldnl wrote:

A lot of difficulties is not a good idea, 4 difficulties (Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane) it's perfect, also you can add an "Extra insane difficulty" for pro players and taiko difficulties, but more than that is just crap.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/18315
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/7932
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/5947

Sure, why have lots of fun difficulties when we can have the same boring shit every day? :)
pieguyn
I agree with BD. Why should we prevent having a lot of maps, as long as they're fun to play? It's not "making the set bigger than it needs to be", if there's a quality diff why would including it be worse?

Also, in approval, there should be no problem with having >6 diffs, even if they're all Insanes, since approved maps don't have to follow diff spread rules :? as long as it's fun to play it should be fine...
Cheer-no

pieguy1372 wrote:

I agree with BD. Why should we prevent having a lot of maps, as long as they're fun to play? It's not "making the set bigger than it needs to be", if there's a quality diff why would including it be worse?

Also, in approval, there should be no problem with having >6 diffs, even if they're all Insanes, since approved maps don't have to follow diff spread rules :? as long as it's fun to play it should be fine...
Pretty much this. There still needs to be a limit obviously, otherwise there's just tons of clutter and slight glitching in the beatmap selection menu (Vuvuzela, Helvetica Standard, etc.) but it should definitely be higher than 6 for approval maps.
YGOkid8

Luna wrote:

What about the masterpiece maps?
Those were split and work alright. And unless I'm blind, their titles are identical.

/E: Oh wait, those are from different mappers orz
masterpiece was originally one mapset, but due to the high amount of insanes, it was split into two mapsets. of course they could've just left it and made it for approval, but meh.

in regards to this rule, why would you have more than 6 difficulties in the first place? even i'm not sure why Moskau has that many... (i could possibly read the thread to possibly find out, but internet's a pain atm).

last time i checked, taiko was included in the 6 total difficulties thingo. i have no view on this though.

Larto wrote:

Also, what again was the reasoning for having 6 difficulties at max? I'm not exactly sure what justifies it at this point, except for possibly avoiding clutter...
the way i saw it, it was leeway for six evenly spread difficulties [Beginner - Easy - Normal - Hard - Insane - Expert] then after, it just... became that way in any situation? i dunno but 6 seems like a reasonable number anyway.
Wishy
Only logical reason I've red about this 6 diff maximum is that having for example about 12 diffs would make really likely than some mistakes won't be seen until the map gets ranked. Apparently you can't just go and unrank one diff but have to unrank the whole set which is ridiculous but it works like that, so having 12 maps getting unranked because some mistake slipped out in some diff sucks.

And the limit is actually good enough if you don't allow any kind of guest diff. There are AWESOME mapsets like http://osu.ppy.sh/s/29454 that everyone pretty much gave up in ranking because of this rule. Sometimes you make a map with those 5 standar difficulties like Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane, Lunatic. Someone goes and maybe maps two taiko diffs which is cool and then you get offered 2 guest diffs from nice mappers who happened to like the song, you end up with almost 10 diffs and your mapset can't get ranked because... it has more than 6 diffs and that's all? The limit is clearly not enough I think. Of course making the limit go to 12 or 20 or unlimited would make mapsets to be like: E N H I I I I I I I I I I I. But then again it's either that or the same song getting ranked 2 or 3 times for no real reason.

This rule is also related with the "no more than 3 insanes rules", since I think whenever this 6 limit is broken it's because there are lots of insanes, which is expected since you can be creative and map some fun Insane, but when mapping E or N you can't really do much.
show more