forum

Something Has Gone Awry

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Manfred
Give it to me straight Sensei, just how F U C K I N G bad am I at this game? After having an epiphany while in deep meditation, I've come to realize that maybe my aim is shit because I don't know how to aim. So I came up with a plan, simply edit a map to have a lower AR, and test my capabilities at reading, aiming and so forth.

The normal AR on https://osu.ppy.sh/b/836907&m=0 [Kyshiro's Extra] is 9.3, I turned it down to 8.6. Here is the result of this experiment thus far.

Normal score is N0thingSpecial but I didn't have to turn on nofail to pass it FFS.

I ask you fellow players for guidance. Is doing something like this over a longer period of time, say a week, likely to help with my consistency and aiming skills? Do you know from personal experience if playing with lower AR for an extended period of time then going back up to AR 9 will have any negative impact?

Over the last week I've been trying maps up to 7* and having better accuracy with AR 9.9 then I do on a 5.2* map with AR 8.6 so my problem lies entirely in reading. Now I realize that it doesn't mean shit if I can pass w/e the hell * difficulty, If I can't slow down enough to read simple jump patterns on a map that has the most obvious rhythm structure like Bass Slut, then I should just snap my pen and dick in half and call it quits.

I don't care about rank right now, and I want to play maps I've played before and have scores on to test against. So saying I should play maps that are at AR 8 already won't do me too much good. I'll just go back through my list of played maps and adjust them accordingly.

Is this the right way to go about improving overall? If not, where do I start?
N0thingSpecial
Firstly fuk you

Secondly low AR trains you to control your tapping, making your aim more rhythm base. So ask yourself does your tapping make your aim shit, or is your aim shit regardless of your tapping, if your tapping is making you shit train low AR, if your aim is shit then play more long maps and play more different maps.
Topic Starter
Manfred

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Firstly fuk you
You should be flattered, your name came to mind whilst typing that so it means I have you on my thoughts.

N0thingSpecial wrote:

[list:1337]Secondly low AR trains you to control your tapping, making your aim more rhythm base. So ask yourself does your tapping make your aim shit, or is your aim shit regardless of your tapping, if your tapping is making you shit train low AR, if your aim is shit then play more long maps and play more different maps.
Well my aim is sometimes dependent on my tapping and my tapping sometimes dependent on my aiming. If my aim goes off then my tapping will likely go off, and vice versa. I think I don't keep to the rhythm and then once that happens I speed up and start my wack a mole game. My tapping is on point to what my brain thinks is right, and my aim is mostly on point to getting my cursor to the circle, it's the desync in between that causes me to miss.

So my guess is my problem is my aim primarily. Probably a 70-30 split between aiming being poor and then tapping being out of sync. I'll try both your suggestions anyway, maybe https://osu.ppy.sh/s/449299 down to AR 8-8.5?
Skidayo
when you are editing to lower ar try on maps you can fc without editing it.
for me playing lower ar helped me to play higher ar.
Yolshka
Clearly you have troubles on lower AR.
If you can aim it on high ar but can't on low than it's a reading problem, because obviously you can physically aim the circles.

Manfred wrote:

I ask you fellow players for guidance. Is doing something like this over a longer period of time, say a week, likely to help with my consistency and aiming skills?
No probably nothing is going to change. A week is really short.
If you want your ar8 reading to be on par with your higher ar then you need to spend at least that much time into it. In your case it's probably some months unless you really up your osu hours.

Manfred wrote:

I don't care about rank right now, and I want to play maps I've played before and have scores on to test against. So saying I should play maps that are at AR 8 already won't do me too much good. I'll just go back through my list of played maps and adjust them accordingly.
If you don't care about not being able to read ar8 thats fine, it's useless anyway, but if you'd like to improve on it than playing ar 8 maps is inevitable.

It's just not very wise to edit maps like bass slut to ar 8 which is above 5*, turning it into some very hard shit, when you'd have problems on some ar8 4 stars anyway.

Manfred wrote:

Is this the right way to go about improving overall? If not, where do I start?
If you continue practicing a lot then you'll certainly end up being good at something. But as far as consistency is concerned it's not the right way.
Also i don't believe that there's any overall improvement,you'll have to be very specific in what you want to practice and have clear goals.
You get better at what you practice, there are some side-effects from practicing a mix of maps, but generally very minor, thats what my experience is so far.
Endaris
If you can't slow down enough to read simple jump patterns on a map that has the most obvious rhythm structure like Bass Slut, then you should just play more maps that have a most obvious rhythm structure and simple to read jump patterns.

Reading low AR and getting acc is a mental effort and can be learned at any point of time. If you feel like you can improve at AR10 and 6* maps right now, you shouldn't stop doing so just because you're struggling with some AR7 maps that a 500pp player can play better than you. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to improve on them anyway but physical difficulty (=star rating) will limit you more in the end than low AR and acc will because both of these are not strictly required to move forward.
That being said, it is EASILY possible to boost your low AR and finger control skills by 200% within a week if you're really bad at these.
KupcaH

Endaris wrote:

That being said, it is EASILY possible to boost your low AR and finger control skills by 200% within a week if you're really bad at these.
really
Topic Starter
Manfred

Yolshka wrote:

Manfred wrote:

I don't care about rank right now, and I want to play maps I've played before and have scores on to test against. So saying I should play maps
that are at AR 8 already won't do me too much good. I'll just go back through my list of played maps and adjust them accordingly.
If you don't care about not being able to read ar8 thats fine, it's useless anyway, but if you'd like to improve on it than playing ar 8 maps is inevitable.
I meant maps that are already AR8, I want to learn AR 8 but edit maps that I've completed, and 99% are AR 9 or above that I'd consider a challenge. I don't mean below 4 stars simplified mapping that I could do even if I can't do AR 8 well.

Although it might make something much tougher, editing something I've passed previously gives me a good bit of information on how I am progressing through reading AR 8.

I was trying Bass Slut because it's sort of a standard I use to test my aim.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/298034?m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/914230?m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1013224?m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/44746?m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/536300?m=0

These are maps I've FCed and I feel would be a good starting point to see how I can read AR8.

Endaris wrote:

If you can't slow down enough to read simple jump patterns on a map that has the most obvious rhythm structure like Bass Slut, then you should just play more maps that have a most obvious rhythm structure and simple to read jump patterns.
I can read the map just fine with AR 9.3, which is what it's set to. I could probably even FC if I gave it some time, those simple patterns become much more difficult with lower AR though.
As for practicing higher * rating maps, I feel it doesn't accomplish much. I will never get close to FCing any of them if I lack constancy with simple things. Practicing lower AR seems to help me take in the map better and when difficulty spikes come along, I don't have to see them as impassable obstacles but possibilities.
abraker

KupcaH wrote:

Endaris wrote:

really
It is true, actually. Used to have 12% acc on some AR 3 map, now have 48% acc, which is 200% better. Kappa works!