forum

Osu! on Steam.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Skraps_old
Steam just released quite a few "free to play" games on their network and i was thinking that if Osu! were availabe through steam it would gain quite a bit of exposure. Only a suggestion and I'm not too savvy on the inner-workings of steam's criteria requirements for the games they offer. What do you guys think?
Kira_old2
I'm already fine with the way it is right now. To be perfectly honest, I just can't envision osu! and Steam coming together.

Plus, if this were to happen, peppy would have to deal with substantially many more things than he is already. In my opinion, this seems rather improbable.
dNextGen
maybe no
KRZY
Yeah, osu doesn't need any more public exposure for now
Cheer-no
osu! runs perfectly fine through Steam if you select it as a non-Steam game. I don't see anything better than that coming from making it a Steam-native game - the online features that Steam offers are already covered quite nicely.
wager67
I use steam a fair bit and i often look at their news/homepage to check for the freebies, this isnt s BAD idea but its also not entirely NECESSARY
Zetta
peppy has said before that he doesn't need the exposure that steam would bring.

Personally I'd love it because it would get a lot more people playing osu.
billy96
nice way to boost some popularity, but i don't use Steam, so i don't really know this is necessary or not...
Kuudere-Senpai
I get enough people asking me what osu is when they see it popup on their screen just from running the game through it anyway.

I don't think a lot of people that use Steam are the type to play Rhythm games too much though, to be honest.
Haseo_old
osu! really needs to get exposed publicly, but not with Steam.
jjrocks
There other ways for osu to be exposed other than steam and even though it's hard to randomly come across other osu players using steam really isn't the best way to go around things. Plus the maturity of osu would die down even more.
Corin

jjrocks wrote:

There other ways for osu to be exposed other than steam and even though it's hard to randomly come across other osu players using steam really isn't the best way to go around things. Plus the maturity of osu would die down even more.
This community has maturity? My dear lord; where???!?

Also no, Valve monopolises everything they get there hands on.
Ephemeral
osu! receives enough publicity via word of mouth. we don't particularly want any more exposure.
marshallracer
also, don't forget about the servers
If too many people start playing Osu! at once, Bancho would suffer because of the suddenly high traffic ... but then again, i don't know, of what the servers are capable of for now ...

But seriously, No.
Sakura
xfire is good enough, i dont think osu! needs to be publicly exposed more than it is, MMOHut has already covered it as well.
Avedas

Blaze-Senpai wrote:

I don't think a lot of people that use Steam are the type to play Rhythm games too much though, to be honest.
Not really a rhythm game but Beat Hazard is on there. Either way I agree osu doesn't really need to be there at all. I can't imagine the legal troubles if this game got too popular.
Zetta

Avedas wrote:

Blaze-Senpai wrote:

Not really a rhythm game but Beat Hazard is on there. Either way I agree osu doesn't really need to be there at all. I can't imagine the legal troubles if this game got too popular.

I'm fairly sure it says somewhere in the osu TOS that any and all responsibility is on the user and not peppy.
Hika
inb4 Public exposure & the leading on of trolls.
I don't think we need any of that either.
Natteke
I don't approve osu being on steam
Ijah_old

Hika wrote:

inb4 Public exposure & the leading on of trolls.
I don't think we need any of that either.

Natteke wrote:

I don't approve osu being on steam
Avedas

Zetta wrote:

I'm fairly sure it says somewhere in the osu TOS that any and all responsibility is on the user and not peppy.
If you're uploading copyrighted material, yes, the responsibility is on you but a site wouldn't be allowed to provide the material without proper licenses anyway. A site can't just make a TOS placing ownership on the users then continue to provide services that they realize may not be legal. That is the reason movieforum.com lost their ability to direct users to sites where they could stream movies even though they claimed to not actually host any copyrighted material. Of course laws may differ from region to region but it's not exactly something to ignore.
roleykatsu
Steam is way too popular and all of the freebie-oriented users (that's a LOT of them really) will pretty much download any F2P game you throw in the Free to Play genre. So osu! would get extremely popular very quickly which may lead to issues both server-side and copyright-based (elaborated below).

And as many others mentioned, since all of the beatmaps are free to download and plug in to osu!, peppy (and/or anyone else involved with the game, including the mappers, really) can be exposed to lawsuits lawlsuits for having songs by artists like Lady Gaga available for free.

Plus, I'd be extremely ticked off if I'd have to open up that crap bloatware (Steam) just to load up osu!. Any game that I have that doesn't use steam takes like 3 seconds to launch at most, including osu!. Any steam-powered games like TF2 or Portal takes 20 seconds, even though I pass their hardware/system/software recommendations greatly.

Short and simple. osu! is better off being stand-alone than joining Steam.I don't want no Gabe Newell om-nom-nomming on the osu! cookie. That's pippi's job.
Neo@lex
osu! being available on steam does not in any way mean that Steam would be the only way to play osu!. The vast majority of Steam games are available standalone or on different distribution networks. osu! just really isn't the kind of game that would do well on Steam.
Downloading beatmaps from the site is too complicated for a central management system like Steam. For it to be worth playing, osu! direct would have to be included.
Of course, you can't really deny the copyright and ethical issues inherited through mp3 distribution either.
Complaining about osu! getting public exposure is stupid. The influx of new subscriptions would dramatically overshadow the server strain, and the userbase is already full of mindless asskissing weeaboos who have made it clear multiple times that they don't care how bad a map is as long as it's from the season's flagship animu or a forced Youtube meme.
Why am I posting this I don't even play it anymore goddamn

Also Steam isn't bloatware you just have a shit PC
Xiao_old
I don't see a need to have osu! on steam. I mean,

Neo@lex wrote:

the userbase is already full of mindless asskissing weeaboos who have made it clear multiple times that they don't care how bad a map is as long as it's from the season's flagship animu or a forced Youtube meme.
I don't know many other rhythm game communities that have such a large otaku fanbase. Hell, I don't think I'd be far off the mark if I said at least 75% of all ranked maps were by Eastern artists. I can't imagine the ensuing culture-shock shitstorm from the F2P Steam community diving into osu!.
Avedas

Xiaounlimited wrote:

I don't see a need to have osu! on steam. I mean,

Neo@lex wrote:

the userbase is already full of mindless asskissing weeaboos who have made it clear multiple times that they don't care how bad a map is as long as it's from the season's flagship animu or a forced Youtube meme.
I don't know many other rhythm game communities that have such a large otaku fanbase. Hell, I don't think I'd be far off the mark if I said at least 75% of all ranked maps were by Eastern artists. I can't imagine the ensuing culture-shock shitstorm from the F2P Steam community diving into osu!.
Agreed and I think it's stupid to be honest. Then again games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band are much the same except they're more oriented around mainstream rock music from previous decades and today. I have some trouble playing some vocaloid songs or generic lolicore touhou remix template #41 because I can't get into them at all.
roleykatsu

Neo@lex wrote:

Also Steam isn't bloatware you just have a shit PC
ok. What I meant when I said 'bloatware' was that I just dislike the entire fact of having to get Steam up and connect to my account. Steam can be awfully slow at times which makes me feel like I'm running it on my old shitty PC that's still running Windows XP.
I don't hate Steam, but still; osu! seems better off without it; plus I believe osu! is getting increasingly popular even without the help of Steam. Wasn't it only about 1~2 years ago when the average amount of users online was around a thousand or something? I can't remember for certain (nor did I bother remembering), but still the amount of osu! users has drastically increased since.

Also, as far as I knew, the games that were on Steam required Steam to be running in the background before playing the actual game, hence why a lot of them are launched from URL commands like steam://rungameid/440. For example, when I bought and installed Civilization V from the supplied disc (which was developed by Firaxis Games and has no relations to Valve whatsoever), it auto-downloaded and installed a copy of Steam for me, and whenever I wanted to launch said game, steam would be required to power it up, which surprised me when playing it at the first time. Well, now I know elsewise. :P
Avedas
Yeah, Steam games require that Steam be running while you play.
Xact
Those companies are partnering with steam in order to gain said exposure to their millions of users. Basically, they're paying steam for the advertising likely via a referral system with compensation on items the users buys via their item malls and premium subscription costs. In other words, steam wouldn't be interested.
J U D G E
Not a good idea, it would never work anyway.
Copter-kun
This will be completely unnecessary
Zhanger_old
no
thefran_old
This game is actively pondering to weaboos which Steam is not full of.
KapengBarako
I could brag my game time so it would be nice.
Oinari-sama
Please don't necro old dead topics.