forum

First Οfficial Storyboarding Contest! Deadline August 31

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Update: Deadline extended to August 31st.

Hey all. Sorry for the delay in announcing this, but there were a lot of details to iron out. But now we're finally ready to announce the first osu! Storyboarding Contest! The rules are a little bit complicated so I'll try to keep this post as straightforward as possible.

1. Storyboarders may participate in teams of up to 5 users. You may enter alone as a "team of one" if you prefer. Each individual user may join only one team, and each team can enter only one storyboard.
  2. All storyboard entries will be judged together, but you have three maps to choose from. You must leave the map itself unchanged, although you may choose custom combo colors to match your storyboard. The mapsets you're working with are the three winning entries from the Official Beatmapping Contest 3. The choices are:
    1. Licnect's winning map for Wind Climbing ~ Kaze ni Asobarete
      Download here
    2. Behonkiss's winning map for Black Sheep
      Download here
    3. Lilac's winning map for Ernst
      Download here
    Follow those links to download the base osz's and the map files. Again, all entries will be judged together, so whichever map you choose, you will be competing against all other storyboards for all three songs.

3. Judges will be rating your map based on these major categories:
    1. Concept - the cleverness or creativity of the storyboard idea, including the plot (if it has one) or other gimmicks
    2. Relevance - the way the storyboard relates to the map in an effective way, including correlation to both the song itself and the mapping of each difficulty
    3. Technical Execution - The quality of the images (including reasonable filesizes and proper cropping), the quality of the code, and the performance of the SB
    4. Judges Impression - This is where they can swing their score slightly based on their personal opinion
  4. I shouldn't have to say this, but any kind of nsfw material that wouldn't be allowed in normal maps or on the forums will not be allowed here either. In fact, I would encourage you to err on the safe side and keep it extra clean. I also discourage you from using any flashes or strobes that would require an epilepsy warning; these storyboards should be safe for everyone to view.
  5. All three of these songs are tied to various bits of pop culture (Mahoujin Guru Guru, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, and Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, respectively). You are welcome to use, recreate, or parody elements of these series if you choose, but it is not a requirement... if you have a different idea, by all means run with it. That said, outright plagiarism is not allowed, so please make a note of who creates each piece of artwork, and give proper credit to any that come from outside sources.
  6. Finished entries should be saved as an .osz file and should include the mp3 and the three maps of the mapset. Unlike the mapping contest, entries here aren't anonymous, so feel free to discuss ideas and WIP's as you see fit. The submission process itself isn't finalized yet, but entries will be due before midnight on August 31st, 2011 (GMT/UTC). A countdown clock can be viewed here. You have a little less than two months, as of this posting.
  7. The prizes this time around are kind of fun: Each member of the winning team will receive a signed "photo" of osu!'s mascot, Pippi, also autographed by peppy, the game's creator. Each of the winners will also get a year of supporter status, a forum profile badge, and a custom title.
I think that covers the big stuff. I apologize that I can't yet confirm which BATs will be judging, but so much time has passed since the initial set of volunteers that some availability has changed. I'll let you know when we know who's judging, but there'll be three judges altogether and one of them will be me, so there you go.

Judges will be LuigiHann, Card N'FoRcE, and jericho2442.

Anyway, please post if you have any questions, as it's quite possible that I've overlooked something. Otherwise, go ahead and start forming teams, start brainstorming, and get to work! :D

- - - -
Q&A:

Is skinning allowed? Yes. But not custom hitsounds. See this post for my thoughts on this issue
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Check out the Storyboarding subforum, and especially the Storyboarding by Scripting thread and the Storyboard Editor Guide/Tips thread, if you're new to this. I would also suggest that experienced storyboard coders team up with people who are good at drawing, for maximum Voltron-like awesomeness, but you're welcome to go in a different direction.
lepidopodus
Must be interesting. Yeah there are lots of nice SB makers so they will make some fancy SB for this contest, so I'm really interested.
Zelos
I hope to enter.
Ayeen_old
No love for the people who got pending slots full :(
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Ayeen wrote:

No love for the people who got pending slots full :(
Submission process isn't finalized yet, but it will not involve uploading them through the BSS. It will likely involve puush or mediafire.

Plus you can work in teams
Xgor
Are you allowed to only submit one Storyboard for all three of them or are you allowed to make one SB for every map? (And if it is so, can you be in different teams for each SB)
Astom

Xgor wrote:

Are you allowed to only submit one Storyboard for all three of them or are you allowed to make one SB for every map? (And if it is so, can you be in different teams for each SB)
I wanted ask that too
Sinistro

Xgor wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

Each individual user may join only one team, and each team can enter only one storyboard.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Yeah, that's one total. There's only one contest, not three sub-contests like we did for the mapping contest.
Astom
Oh something pop in my mind, can be added custom skin? or it's only SB

~
Azure_Kite
Sounds interesting. I'll see if I can round up a group of people and make something incredible.
Gabi
I hope you guys get enough participants to make this interesting :o
narakucrimson
Oh this sounds like fun~
RandomJibberish
I'll give this a go if I have a good idea...
Krisom
Let's see if I can squeeze my creativity for this.
awp
uh oh clock's ticking now
Ijah_old
Well this is interesting, perhaps I'll give it a shot?
oljk
o
X-Ray_old_1
It's Larto time!
show more