forum

First Οfficial Storyboarding Contest! Deadline August 31

posted
Total Posts
show more
florianu
Ok ok but nobody say stop submit, the submit thread is still open, is so quiet, i hope everything will end soon.
yeahyeahyeahhh
I think the mistake was forcing those songs lol
Rukario

yeahyeahyeahhh wrote:

awp

yeahyeahyeahhh wrote:

I don't know about Ernst (that was the VG music one, right?) but the Japanese and American songs were excellent candidates for storyboarding. I think the real problem is most people don't realize that a good storyboard requires far more time and effort than making a good beatmap.

If you weren't expecting to spend at least 40 hours on it you probably weren't gauging it properly (or just planning to rip everything from somewhere).

I personally knew the effort required, I just wasn't sure whether or not I'd run out of motivation before asset development was complete (I did).
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Locked the submission thread up, but I know I personally won't have time to look at the entries until sometime next week. I'm a bit saddened by the overall lack of interest. I do think that next time we do an SB contest, it'll have to be more of an "iron chef" style contest, where there's some specific object or theme that you have to work into your SB, but you can choose whatever song you want. Seems like that would give people enough freedom without making it too easy to submit random existing storyboards.
eee
I've completed my storyboard, but I'll keep the incomplete one as my submission.

http://www.mediafire.com/?l1bs1o0dympwb32

If any of the judges would kindly mod this new one, then please do so; I'm not enforcing any mod of this one, my intentions are for anyone that is wondering how it concludes...
Lilac

Derekku wrote:

Lilac wrote:

I feel bad because there was no SB submission for Ernst.
That's what team Kirbeuchi was planning on doing. ):!
I could have helped them. Though I'm wondering what they actually did.

Considering I copied both of their mapping into Ernst...ololol.
Sinistro

Lilac wrote:

FWIW, I did have an idea about an Ernst storyboard.

SPOILER
Dr. Kawashima's floating head from Brain Age is revealed to be the head to which Master Hand and Crazy Hand of the Super Smash Bros games belong to (as inspired from this). He summons eight old-school video game characters that didn't make it into Super Smash Bros. Brawl and makes them participate in a Grudge Tournament, with the winner to be included in the next Smash Bros. game as a playable character. The storyboard has no pass or fail scenes, it's just a "music video" of the fights.

The tournament seeds are:
1. Mega Man
2. Richter Belmont
3. Ryu from Ninja Gaiden
4. Crono from Chrono Trigger
5. The Prince of Persia
6. Ryu from Street Fighter
7. Earthworm Jim
8. Player 1 from Contra

The song intro has all the characters enter the screen, while a backdrop from one of their games scrolls behind them. An info window also displays their name and abilities.

Once the main theme kicks in, we start with the quarterfinals.

1st match: The Prince of Persia vs Crono. They clash swords for a moment, then Crono retreats and, knowing magic, defeats the Prince with Lightning from afar.

2nd match: Mega Man vs Player 1. This is sort of a joke, since the Contra dude can only take one hit. Mega Man dodges for a while before hitting him once and he's gone. Should've used Konami Code.

3rd match: Earthworm Jim vs Richter Belmont. Both have whips, but the problem for Jim is that his whip is his own body. Richter's whip catches Jim and slams him to the floor (no idea how that would be animated, though).

4th match: Ryu vs Ryu. Ninja Ryu asks Street Fighter Ryu to stop the match, since not only are they both heroes, but they also share the same name. SF!Ryu agrees, but it's all a trap set by Ninja!Ryu. Having dropped his guard, SF!Ryu is stabbed through the abdomen. Guess they have at least one difference; Ninja Ryu is more cunning.

By this point, we're about halfway and we move to the semifinals, which take more time to show.

5th match: Ninja Ryu vs Richter Belmont. It's a tough fight the details of which I haven't completely thought out, but Richter prevails.

6th match: Crono vs Mega Man. Again, this is somehow a drawn out match, with Mega Man coming on top.

Finals: Richter Belmont vs Mega Man. Those two have plenty of powers, so their battle can be pretty varied. At some point, Mega Man uses his "enter-a-stage" teleporter thingy to move around the battlefield. Mega Man ends up the victor. When the music changes near the end, there's a sequence of closeups between the two combatants as the exhauster Richter waits for Mega Man to deliver the coup de grace.

With the sprite art readily available, image collection would probably be easy, but I didn't do it since awp was making a storyboard. Ah, why did you lose motivation, dude :(
florianu

Lilac wrote:

Well here is one sb for Ernst http://puu.sh/55nw
Dai
so how's it going?
the undead
This was the osu biggest shit ever
Natteke

the undead wrote:

This was the osu biggest shit ever
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
I just want to apologize personally for the way that I handled the judging period of this contest. I was just so distressed by the lack of entries and the lack of enthusiasm so I just kind of dropped the ball. Because there were too few entries to get a proper contest going, we're just going to give participation prizes of 3-month supporter tags to every member of the teams who submitted entries (with the exception of florianu, who got banned in the meantime. Awkwaaaard). Sorry that nobody gets the grand prize, but I figure we'll save that stuff for a more competitive contest.

If and when we do another SB contest, it'll be a lot more open-ended, since a lot of people were unhappy with the limitations placed on this one. I'm thinking rather than specific songs, there'll just be an Iron Chef style "theme" and people will have to make SB's using certain "ingredients." Could be fun. But definitely putting that on the back burner for a while longer.
Mara

LuigiHann wrote:

there'll just be an Iron Chef style "theme" and people will have to make SB's using certain "ingredients."
If that contest will ever come, I'm in.
Astom
Well finally, nothing much for say about lol.

I just hope than next contest will be more fun and not in 2 year more hahaha xD
the undead
Finally an answer from mr LuigiHann. Better later than never. By the way I am florianu, my new user (peppy please don't ban me this year, only this year). One things is certainly, I will not going to another sb contest. Mr peppy can you put to florianu's avatar a Christmas hat?. Marry Christmas to all :)
YGOkid8
soo... if you were banned, why do you have another account?
the undead
I like to play osu, the ban can't stop me! very interesting your question, lol 8-)
YGOkid8
multi-accounting + ban evade = ban + ip block, iirc.

you're pretty lucky you're still here actually. :(
Cheer-no
Don't worry, though! Even if you're banned, you can still play osu, just... not online :P
Sinistro
Please find better things to do with your time.