forum

Daily/Monthly/Seasonal pp

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +22
Topic Starter
abraker
So currently you have the list of plays and the sum of plays weighted which gives your all time pp. My suggestion is to add the same for daily/monthly/seasonal pp. The idea is to have players look at their performance and try to beat their previous best over a previous time period.

Some players take a break from gamemodes or otherwise have demolished skill and can't beat their all-time pp. This will should encourage them by having their beat their previous instead of getting into the top 100 of their all-time best.
Endaris
I don't think it is peppy's job to keep players motivated when they ran themselves into a dead end.
Aside from that, what kind of motivation is it supposed to be if you can't beat your alltime-pp but can't beat your previous "daily pp" either?
Topic Starter
abraker

Endaris wrote:

I don't think it is peppy's job to keep players motivated when they ran themselves into a dead end.
It's not peppy's job. Nothing I wrote says it is. The daily pp can be used to keep yourself motivated. It's a daily achievement metric if anything else.

Endaris wrote:

Aside from that, what kind of motivation is it supposed to be if you can't beat your alltime-pp but can't beat your previous "daily pp" either?
Come on, you know that you dont top your best every time. It's a means to aim higher based on your current skills and not your all-time.
Seijiro
Since I don't play anymore it is a bit depressing to see 0pp all the time :')
Endaris

abraker wrote:

Endaris wrote:

It's not peppy's job. Nothing I wrote says it is. The daily pp can be used to keep yourself motivated. It's a daily achievement metric if anything else.
If it's not peppy's job then why does it need to be an osu!feature? Could be an abraker-driven userproject called osu!motivator as well.

abraker wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Come on, you know that you dont top your best every time. It's a means to aim higher based on your current skills and not your all-time.
Let me reword it:
If I can't beat my yesterday's daily pp how am I supposed to beat my all-time pp?
Such a metric has the same ratio of motivation and frustration as all-time pp. And it's a meaningless metric as well. Might as well randomly generate a number higher than the number from the last day if that can serve as motivation - as long as the player doesn't know and is dumb enough to have faith.
Topic Starter
abraker

Endaris wrote:

If it's not peppy's job then why does it need to be an osu!feature? Could be an abraker-driven userproject called osu!motivator as well.
Feature requests is not a request forum for peppy's uptaking like it used to be. Anyone can integrate it into the system now that it's open source. Feature request subforum functions just as a place to talk about the request and develop on the idea now.

Endaris wrote:

Let me reword it:
If I can't beat my yesterday's daily pp how am I supposed to beat my all-time pp?
Such a metric has the same ratio of motivation and frustration as all-time pp. And it's a meaningless metric as well. Might as well randomly generate a number higher than the number from the last day if that can serve as motivation - as long as the player doesn't know and is dumb enough to have faith.
Some players would at least want to see their daily performance. It's a summary of your scores for the day, all those individual scores sorted as well as displayed as one value in terms of average performance. It looks like a convenient way to know how well you are doing instead of going by each score you gotten and putting each of those into a pp calculator.
Endaris
Tbh based on the information you gave that number doesn't indicate how well you are doing but is just an arbitrary number that covers how much you played.
Might as well put in the playcount for that day.
Topic Starter
abraker

Endaris wrote:

Tbh based on the information you gave that number doesn't indicate how well you are doing but is just an arbitrary number that covers how much you played.
Might as well put in the playcount for that day.
Wait, in what way does it show how much you played? My first FAQ addresses that.
Endaris

abraker wrote:

pp will get higher the more maps you play with this.
???
Sounds like play more = higher pp
Topic Starter
abraker

Endaris wrote:

abraker wrote:

pp will get higher the more maps you play with this.
???
Sounds like play more = higher pp
I meant that it will increase if you just add up the weighed pp, because it takes around 20 pp scores for it to converge. That's why I propose to average the raw pp you get for the day to get the daily pp instead.
NoodleSoupLover
I think this is a good idea bc I change my play-style quite a lot and I would like to know how I am improving in a particular style.

Also Endaris is just a grump. He doesn't understand how good this system could be. Don't pay much attention to him. This is a fantastic idea.
Endaris

NoodleSoupLover wrote:

Also Endaris is just a grump. He doesn't understand how good this system could be.
Great arguments there fam
Seijiro
get a room, you two. It's not a joke: take it to a PM.
Bara-
This might be a good idea for people (like me) who are not interested into increasing
This gives us an idea as to how we're playing