forum

Why is it so hard to get a look on your beatmap from BN

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheLeviathan
So it is a month since i've done all the mods, fixed all the stuff on my map (or at least i think so), and since then, i am making BN request every day in #modreq, i've write a personal message to every BN team member asking them to check the map, but still no result. The funny thing is, that no one even replied to say "Sorry i am busy i can't do that, ask someone else" or anything, it's just silence, like you are ignored.
Map was submitted >6 months ago, more then a month ago i finished working on it, applied all mods and i think it can be ranked already. A lot of maps that were submitted way more later then mine, are already ranked.
I feel like, BN team doesn't give a fck about new mappers, it feels like when you ask them to check the map, they look into your profile -> "This dude doesn't have any ranked maps before, so fck him, not gona bother checking his stuff, will be shit anyways"
Or you need to be "friends" with nominator so he can spent a 50 minutes of his time to take a look on your map.
That sux! I don't believe that from whole BN team, there wasn't a single person that couldn't accept my request, or at least answer to god damn message! Even that is too hard for people to reply and type that two letters - NO, so i will know to not expect anything from that nominator.
Only BN team member who i didn't ask was Sahuang , but only because he have a guest diff in my map set, so he can't approve or rank the map.

I don't want to spend hours in #modhelp and spam shit in chat for couple of weeks, so my name will be "visible" for some nominators, so when i will ask for a request they will go like "Oh that's that guy from chat, let me see his map".

BTW map itself https://osu.ppy.sh/s/427437
Bara-
We are busy
We get like 10 requests a day, ofcourse we won't accept it all, let alone reply to all
University has started for me, so I can do 1-2 mods per week at most now. Don't expect me to accept new requests in the following 2 months
And School/College/University has started for more people, including most BN
Kibbleru
sometimes we forget to reply because there are 20 other tabs in the chat asking about the same thing, apologize for that.

otherwise maybe the attitude u were asking from?
its alot easier to approach them with 'can you give me suggestions for my map' than 'hi can you mod my map' as the latter one makes it very clear you are only after the bubble.
Electoz
i've write a personal message to every BN team member asking them to check the map, but still no result.
Requesting a mod from BN requires right place and time, it's unlikely that one of the BNs will give you a mod becuase you're not the only one who's doing it this way.

I feel like, BN team doesn't give a fck about new mappers
Helping new mappers is not our main priority, our priority is to nominate maps, for me I don't mind who you are as long as your map has enough quality, I don't know about other BNs though, note that it will be extremely difficult to help new mappers considering that we are overloaded with mod requests.
Topic Starter
TheLeviathan

Electoz wrote:

Helping new mappers is not our main priority, our priority is to nominate maps, for me I don't mind who you are as long as your map has enough quality, I don't know about other BNs though, note that it will be extremely difficult to help new mappers considering that we are overloaded with mod requests.
I don't ask for help, i don't need help, i'm talking about that BN members prioritise people that already have ranked maps when they accept any requests, so for people who do not have any maps ranked before, it is extremely hard to have attention for their first map that going to be ranked
Electoz
Rip, some BNs actually prioritize that backwards though.
Izzywing
As a loser with no ranked maps, I've been able to get BNs to look at my maps just by being patient. Wait for queues, check userpages often to see if they're taking requests, etc. You're not going to get a BN to check your map as fast you'd like most of the time, so just be patient. It took me like 3 weeks before I got a BN to take a look at my mapset and bubble it, and that was WITH me super actively stalking queues and userpages.
Yoges
Getting a BN to look at your map just requires luck (or having VERY VERY good friends). If you think that BNs discriminate against newer mappers in favor of experienced mappers then I can tell you that's just not true. I'm a fairly experienced mapper I have 3 ranked maps and it takes forever for me to get BNs to look at my maps aswell. If you don't belive me then have a look at the last map I got ranked. Took me somewhere in the region of a whole months since I finished modding to get the first BN to look at it and icon it and then another 3 months before I could get another 2 BNs to look at it. Heck it's not just mappers that have a hard time getting BNs to look at their maps. BNs themselves also have a hard time getting other BNs to look at their maps so stop crying.

As to why you're getting ignored that happens to everyone. BNs are busy and sometimes they might miss your message. I might try to chat one up ingame and be like "Hey" and never even get a reply to a greeting. I might try to request through forum PM and write something like "Hey [BN] I see you're taking mod requests atm. Would you be interested in helping me push this forward? [MAP LINK]" and that would get no reply. In most cases if they ignored you they either missed your message or declined your request. Most BNs will ignore requests they've declined since it's easier than replying to hundreds of messages saying "No sorry I don't like xxx about your map". Don't take it personally if your message gets ignored or declined. Just say "Ah ok np" and move on.

Having BN friends doesn't make it any easier either (unless they're VERY VERY good friends). I have numerous BNs as friends but if in the case I ask them for a mod out of desperation in most cases they'll still just decline because they're not taking requests/don't like the song etc. Which they have every right to do. They still treat me like every other mapper despite being friends.

When you do get lucky and do get a BN to look at your map... your map better be good. Since I started mapping my techniques have evolved significantly. I tend to always try to use aesthetics, flow and spacing so that my mapping carries the music in the song well. Sorry if I sound a little arrogant but I generally don't have a hard time impressing BNs and modders with my mapping so the only obstacle I really face when ranking a map is if a BN likes the song or not. I really can't say the same thing about your map. In all honesty it's some of the most bland shit I've ever seen. The song is well... umm... just... soo... repetitive. Nothing about it is fun to listen to. Could be a matter of musical taste but I'd like you to know that I always love some exotic instrumental stuff. As for your mapping it kind of goes the same way as the song. Just bland. Nothing about it looks like it had any love put in when you were making it. And sadly there's no taste argument here. Your patterns are random and uncreative. You just place objects where you think will be safe so that mods can't complain about. You're not trying to carry the music or trying to use any interesting mapping techniques. It's just bland. So think about all that. What about this map would make a BN want to push if forward if you do luckily get one to look at it? Take a look in the grave yard for some gems. There're numerous maps there that are far better than yours and far better than mine so if they're not ranked what makes you think your maps will get ranked?

PS your attitude sucks.
Kibbleru
yep, essay kun summed up about everything :d
Makeli
only 6 months in pending? Sorry you don't get to complain
Gaia
I'm pretty sure 90% of the mapping community has had the same experience as you... It's true that the majority of the time you'll get turned down but eventually you'll find someone who will be willing to look at your map. (i still remember the joy of seeing a red name on my thread for the first time, it's pretty exciting) Even if it's not a full mod, I'm pretty sure that most BN's would be willing to give you a quick glance and some tips at the very least.

My best advice is to stay positive and be patient. Visit mod queues frequently and eventually you'll see a BN who'll open their queues. Don't expect to get a normal mod, most BN's are mappers too, and they'll most likely be more willing to accept your map if they get something in return as well.

and hey, even though i can't rank your maps i'm still an ex-bn. If you want my opinions I'm always free for a quick look, and that applies to everyone out there reading this. feel free to hmu if u see me online!
Koiyuki
tbh most BN dont look #modreqs at all(me too) because #modreqs is time limited, so reqs there are hard to catch modders' eyes, even BN's.

it's better to look for BN's queue or userpage to get their status "busy" or not, then send your req.

although it need some luck, you'd better to meet the fav kind of song of the BN you want to find, that will be more chance.(for example, eroge songs have much higher priority than heavy metal songs from my side)
VINXIS
lying isnt gud for ur public image

Celsius was never contacted

edit: wot do urEAlly mean by contact cuz going to the bns profile and seeing their userpage isnt cont ac t
Metaku
Well... This is something I've thought about myself as well so... BNs and more experienced mappers: What is a good way to get a BN's attention?

I rarely see a BN queue open and most of the time they get sniped and closed within 30 minutes and most BNs state they aren't accepting requests in their profiles...

So, how should a new mapper try to contact a BN? Do you just need to stay on the forum constantly and wish for the best?
Endaris
A new mapper should try to improve his map to the point where it will get noticed.
An advice I got from Mao was frequently asking people for testplays. A testplay holds no big responsibilities for BNs either and the effort people have to spent on them is rather low while still bringing your map forward. Testplay+short feedback for only one diff usually doesn't take longer than 15min and is a lot more comfortable to do among other stuff. Actual BN checks with a bubble in mind take a whole lot more effort as they have to recheck about everything to really make sure there is nothing wrong with the set.
So uh. Stay patient, active and show will to improve and you will probably get noticed faster than by clinging to people and screaming "NOTICE ME SENPAI"