forum

The state of Bancho

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
I realise I haven't given much information about the reason for the recent downtimes during peak periods, so here you go. The issues are not hardware related, but rather the bancho implementation is being pushed to extremes. This stems from the sheer amount of data which is exchanged to provide every user with every other users' status, resulting in an exponential increase in server load with more players. I am working on a fix for this, and hope to have it implemented by next weekend. This does assume I can take the week off my day job to complete it (there's a lot to be done).

Until this is completed, you may notice some functionality temporarily disabled in order to keep bancho up and running. Currently this includes status updates (for in-game user panels) and rank letters being displayed on song select beatmap panels. Please understand these are temporary measures.

This graph should give you an idea of exactly how much more data we are sending when the player count increases from 3.2-3.5k up to 4k and beyond:

For those saying things like "peppy needs to upgrade the servers", please understand that I am aware of the capacity of the servers, and it it was resolvable by upgrading hardware I would definitely resort to this first.

Your patience is appreciated.
Dai
thanks for the info. I got many times DC today
we only have to wait
CapnDavid
I guess we have to wait for now.
Hiyorin
Great to know you are working on it
A week off work to fix this is dedication :)
Sakura
Nice to see that you're working on it and i sure have noticed that the ammount of players have increased so i kinda figured that was the reason anyways, good luck with this peppy and thanks
lepidopodus
Ah, so that's why. I was really concerned about recent lag, but well, at least now I know what is the problem briefly, so I feel relieved now.
_Angel
More and more people like osu ))
eddieee
gogogo peppy :D
Hika
Never really noticed much until now.
Thanks for working hard on osu!. c:
PandaCath
It's just proof that osu! is getting extremely popular :)
Verdisphena
Good luck
SoulAlchemist
Sounds like you are going to have your hands full with this peppy. Good luck.
AceproCX
Fight! :)
Backfire
Yay! Glad you're finally working on it ^^
Ever 14
poor bancho

suffering a lot
Topic Starter
peppy

Backfire wrote:

I don't even want to start to explain how wrong this sentence is.
Backfire

peppy wrote:

Backfire wrote:

I don't even want to start to explain how wrong this sentence is.
Oh wait, I see. Sorry D:
OzzyOzrock

Backfire wrote:

What do you mean...?
Finally working on it?
Dragvon
Good luck peppy, this is a sign from what's coming in a nearby future xD!
Let's get prepared for 10k players+ online :D!
Backfire
What I meant to say was glad you're working on bancho, since I was worried that it might go into downtime again, making me lose scores like it did last time. If that also makes no sense, then I apoligize.
show more