forum

Summer 2016 Anime First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
A fun summer filled with a lot of male idol groups is coming up, so let's post our impressions of them and various other series this summer. I recommend using colors to make it easy for people to tell what you think of a series, but feel free to post however you like.

(Google docs will be up later. AX is taking all of my time right now)

List of this season's anime here.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Love Live! Sunshine!!: A solid way to start the successor to what of the biggest anime successes in recent history. It was a solid mix of fun characters, solid animation, and some light drama. However, there are many times where you feel the series is too similar to the original, whether it is the character design or character personalities. I hope it'll break new ground soon, but at worse, I can at least enjoy the songs and animation the show has to offer.

B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious: A male idol show where I couldn't laugh at a single joke. The plot seems to also be some basic female joining as manager and fixing the group's problems. Nothing worth noting imo, unless you want to hope look at the pretty guys.
xxdeathx
Re:Write -Starting Eroge In Another Anime- - Glad to get an anime that actually feels like an eroge adaptation after the travesty that was Aokana and High Spec. Just like Re:Zero, the first episode was double length. First half was the generic eroge introduction, Fk I take that back, this wasn't even an 18+ VN. characters were pretty alright. Second half was downright trippy, not sure what to think of it.

Shokugeki no Souma 2nd season - Same as last season, most of Souma's friends are pretty cringe and only the cooking is interesting.
Navizel
Shokugeki no Souma S2 - Foodgasms are always good. I miss this show. Kinda sad that it's only 13 episodes and the pacing is still fast though.

Love Live! Sunshine - It's blue cause I'm in Idol Hell. Otherwise, it would be red. They don't even have Nozomi smh. Everyone's personality is so vanilla except for Yohane. It's also almost the same story as the first one.
Kyonko Hizara
Bliss is my favourite male idol :^)

Berserk 2016: Guts fucked up some girl in the very first episode so we're off to a good start
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
ReLIFE: Can't see anything amusing about an older person overreacting to life as a younger student. He lived this life before, so it is his fault he wasn't ready for it.

DAYS: Why is main character permanently blushing like a Pikachu? While you have the nice typical male sports mc that is extremely presistent, the anime makes it seems like he can't even see the ball or doesn't understand some of the basic exercises. I have trouble believing such a male mc could even exist. Oh well, didn't get any of the jokes either, and bad animation added on made this an easy drop.
Suisei XYousoro
Love Live! Sunshine

- The series is off to a great start with decent animation and likeable characters
- The songs aren't that bad
- Yoshiko Yohane is pretty unique
- The premise and some of the main characters' personality quirks may turn off those who have watched the first series
Navizel
Orange - Love me some HanaKana. Interesting story, gorgeous art, and nice music. Only one thing, the delivery could've been better.

B-Project - The B stands for Boring. Nothing to see here. I'm not into this kind of idol hell.

Days - The main character is just too pathetic.

Bananya - the fuck
Haruto
Orange : Probably the first Romance Genre Anime of the Year. First Impression was like "the graphics/art seems like Ao Haru Ride's". Nice opening and ending song, kind a bit sad anime to me but i'll never miss any romance genre'ed anime even if its a romance comedy. also, still looking forward from this anime. might watch the live action movie too instead waiting for episodes lol

Love Live! Sunshine!! : Oh yes, another Love Live. i know i haven't watch the first sequel but this one seems much better than the first xD idk. also, i love the songs and the storyline. still looking forward for further episodes of this anime ><.

Shokugeki no Souma S2 : tfw when you are fasting and you seen a lot of delicious scene on the anime. makes you want to eat some of the foods lmao. unique story and nice art. although this is my first time watching this anime which means i haven't watched the first season xD but soon i will haha. still looking forward for further episodes in this anime.

haven't watched anything other than these 3, except the spring leftovers. started to watch re:zero but i jumped to episode 14 instead xd
DakeDekaane
Thanks blissy, for now I just added an Anichart link.

orange: Soothing atmosphere, nice music and an actually interesting premise. Looking forward it.

Taboo Tattoo: Yay, more teenagers with super powers anime -_-

Tales of Zestiria: ufotable strikes again with another videogame adaptation. Nice quality as expected. If I don't overload of this season's anime, I may keep watching this one due the world setting.

Love Live! Sunshine!!: Chuunibyou girl looks cool. This main girl makes me want to slap her really hard. Probably I'm still tied to u's music, but the songs weren't that catchy for me. Looks like CG improved a bit.
Rio-
Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara - Love the First season, already read the manga until the latest chapter and love it too. And Season 2 first episode turns out to be good too...

Love Live Sunshine!! - Oh yes finally! A Show I've been waiting for so long. Love the Songs (not just the OP, but the singles released before the Anime aswell) and the storyline looks better than I thought. "I still like u's and They hold a special place in my heart, but I still have room for Aquors too.~"

Rewrite - Rumor say that they will only use the common route and Kagari route kind of a letdown for me. As far as I liked to play the VN back in 2013 (and stopped after 10 hours cuz' busy irl), the Anime adaption is good i guess. Characters is fine and the Arts looks nice too.
(I probably will make this green if 2nd Episode changes my mind. But for now It's a blue)
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Fukigen na Mononokean: A pretty boring show about a guy's interaction with youkai and an exorcist, except the jokes aren't funny and there is not much else to even pay attention to in the show.

New Game: Another Doga Kobo 4-koma adpatation. Solid background art and fun characters in a very laid back game development studio, something I can almost identify with.
xxdeathx
New Game - Very fun slice of office life with adult lolis =3= (as unrealistic of a setting for game development companies as it is) and super catchy opening song. Definitely looking to be a good pick this season.

Taboo Tattoo - Seems like this season's Kiznaiver, couldn't make it through half the episode
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Masou Gakuen HxH: It was basically as bad as I expected after reading the ln. Lots of fanservice and censoring with not much of anything else. Strangely the backgrounds and CG were actually not bad, but obviously a lot more money went to the fanservice.

Puzzle & Dragons Cross: A fairly decent looking anime with decent anime about the popular mobile game PAD, except the pacing is a bit weird and the plotline is incredibly confusing for me, who is unacquainted with the series.

Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu: Well, I'm not into BL. It's not amusing for me to watch a guy being so afraid of being judged in a comedy series, and well animation is lackluster (but well expected for a short).

Show By Rock!! Short!!: Didn't expect such a perverted and boring short from this series.

Berserk: That was some awful CG, with inconsistent drawing styles and a few normally drawn scenes added to the mix for an even more awful experience. To make matters worse, there are a few frame drops and almost teleporting like items going across the screen. It is pretty hard on the eyes to watch this show for an extended period of time.

Bananya Umm, the entire ep was bananya hatching from a banana and exploring the house without doing much of anything. Not sure what is appealing about the show except maybe ppl who like this kind of moe....

Amaama to Inazuma: While decently animated and realistic, I doubt I'll see the joys pf parenthood anyday soon. If I could go through the series in a faster way like a manga, I might be interested, but for the anime, I don't think I can take this slow and realistic speed with the plot so heavily focused on parenthood.

Taboo Tatoo: I did not expect this show to be the one that broke my dropping streak, but the first action scene was amazing. Taking a lot of cues from Street Fighter with black stuff coming out after hits and making sure attacks have proper ghosting, the fights are definitely a great watch. I did enjoy a few of the jokes, but as you might expect everything else is very standard shonen fare. However, I read the manga already, so I'm ready for that as long as the fight scenes are as impressive as what I saw in ep 1. (I admit I also ignored the awful CG used in part of the ep, since the action scene is really all I paid attention to)

Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara: Not sure why I tried this after dropping the first season, but while the animation has improved a bit from my memory, the amount of looped scenes has stayed the same. To make matters worse, the pacing for the first ep feels pretty forced with the cooking section nearly completely skimmed over while the ending is incredibly explanation heavy. While that is like the manga, the anime made the pacing change far more apparent and annoying.

Scared Rider Xechs: Super low budget male Symphogear with a Power Rangers twist..... yeah, no.

Arslan Senki: Fuujin Ranbu: Ugly CG + a confusing storyline that I can't remotely follow because I skipped season 1 = something I can't really enjoy watching.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!: It's Fate/Illya's 4th season with all of the yuri humor and at least a little of the action of the action you expect from the series. Besides some of the scenes looking a bit burry, it fixed the storyline change that ended the last season and going rback to following the manga. Besides that, no real changes, so let's watch the build up to Fate/ Magical Shirou.
Kyonko Hizara
Tales of Zesteria the X: Note first that I haven't played the game at all. Initially what made me want to watch this is because ufotable, and the studio did a good job with its Fate/Stay Night adaptation. The setting of the universe seems interesting to me so I am hoping to see good use made of it. I'm excited to see an anime adaptation of a Tales of series game getting more than just an OVA.

NEW GAME!: The characters in this seem really likable and that's mainly what is keeping me wanting to watch it. The setting is interesting but unrealistic but this show isn't going for something that looks realistic.

amaama to inazuma: It seems like a show that would be fun to watch but maybe I am not getting as much enjoyment out of it as I should since I'll never have this sort of experience (aka I never want children). This looks like it will be a slice of life that will get boring with not being able to relate to the situation. Also as I continue to watch this I'm worried that the characters may start to become less likable and more annoying.

Rewrite: I've played very little of the VN. The animation is alright for the most part. However since this is a long VN there will most likely be only the main route done so that's kind of whatever.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!: Illya has really been going on this long?
Yohanes
I only watched 3 4 shows so far, but more to come

Taboo Tattoo Beautiful Animation! Really. Story is typical, and action scene is pretty mediocre. We'll see what happen next as the story progress

Love Live! Sunshine!! So cringey to watch for some reason lol. But since I like the original love live! I'll keep watching this. Oh, and the characters are quite unique too

New Game! I always liked this kind of show, and this one is no exception. Very Fun show to watch although it has nothing special going into it.

ReLife can we really say First Impression about this show? I finished it already lol. Long story short, I really like this anime. It generally focused on character development throughout 13 episode, and they done it really well. The story kinda ends with a cliffhanger, and I definetly want to see Season 2 of this show, but I won't hold my breath for it, since this show is just recently finished airing. also, Hishiro is really cute
Navizel
New Game - Seasonal dose of slice of life.

ReLife - Same with Yohanes. I already finished it. Catching up with the manga too. Not sure about season 2 considering how much they covered with only one season lol.

Taboo Tattoo - Not sure what to feel about this yet. It looks so random. It's not that bad but it's not that great either.

Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu - No. Just no.
Kyonko Hizara
Bananya: Uneventful banana cat. Bananya is kinda cute tho.

Show By Rock!! Short!!: I hate Show By Rock already but I'd frick some of the girls but this makes me hate it even more.
Navizel
Kono Bujitsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - It's one of those anime, isn't it? Someone just tell me otherwise in the closing thoughts cause I'm dropping this show.

Fukigen na Mononokean - Let's just say I'm not a big fan of Kaji Yuki and the always mad characters he's voicing.
DakeDekaane
New Game!: Cute and actually fun. Every character is just lovely (and cute).

ReLIFE: I didn't expect much from the synopsis. After the first episode, this could become one of my favourite shows. Looking forward some tasty character development.
show more