forum

Summer 2016 Anime First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
Navizel
Shokugeki no Souma S2 - Foodgasms are always good. I miss this show. Kinda sad that it's only 13 episodes and the pacing is still fast though.

Love Live! Sunshine - It's blue cause I'm in Idol Hell. Otherwise, it would be red. They don't even have Nozomi smh. Everyone's personality is so vanilla except for Yohane. It's also almost the same story as the first one.
Kyonko Hizara
Bliss is my favourite male idol :^)

Berserk 2016: Guts fucked up some girl in the very first episode so we're off to a good start
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
ReLIFE: Can't see anything amusing about an older person overreacting to life as a younger student. He lived this life before, so it is his fault he wasn't ready for it.

DAYS: Why is main character permanently blushing like a Pikachu? While you have the nice typical male sports mc that is extremely presistent, the anime makes it seems like he can't even see the ball or doesn't understand some of the basic exercises. I have trouble believing such a male mc could even exist. Oh well, didn't get any of the jokes either, and bad animation added on made this an easy drop.
Suisei XYousoro
Love Live! Sunshine

- The series is off to a great start with decent animation and likeable characters
- The songs aren't that bad
- Yoshiko Yohane is pretty unique
- The premise and some of the main characters' personality quirks may turn off those who have watched the first series
Navizel
Orange - Love me some HanaKana. Interesting story, gorgeous art, and nice music. Only one thing, the delivery could've been better.

B-Project - The B stands for Boring. Nothing to see here. I'm not into this kind of idol hell.

Days - The main character is just too pathetic.

Bananya - the fuck
Haruto
Orange : Probably the first Romance Genre Anime of the Year. First Impression was like "the graphics/art seems like Ao Haru Ride's". Nice opening and ending song, kind a bit sad anime to me but i'll never miss any romance genre'ed anime even if its a romance comedy. also, still looking forward from this anime. might watch the live action movie too instead waiting for episodes lol

Love Live! Sunshine!! : Oh yes, another Love Live. i know i haven't watch the first sequel but this one seems much better than the first xD idk. also, i love the songs and the storyline. still looking forward for further episodes of this anime ><.

Shokugeki no Souma S2 : tfw when you are fasting and you seen a lot of delicious scene on the anime. makes you want to eat some of the foods lmao. unique story and nice art. although this is my first time watching this anime which means i haven't watched the first season xD but soon i will haha. still looking forward for further episodes in this anime.

haven't watched anything other than these 3, except the spring leftovers. started to watch re:zero but i jumped to episode 14 instead xd
DakeDekaane
Thanks blissy, for now I just added an Anichart link.

orange: Soothing atmosphere, nice music and an actually interesting premise. Looking forward it.

Taboo Tattoo: Yay, more teenagers with super powers anime -_-

Tales of Zestiria: ufotable strikes again with another videogame adaptation. Nice quality as expected. If I don't overload of this season's anime, I may keep watching this one due the world setting.

Love Live! Sunshine!!: Chuunibyou girl looks cool. This main girl makes me want to slap her really hard. Probably I'm still tied to u's music, but the songs weren't that catchy for me. Looks like CG improved a bit.
Rio-
Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara - Love the First season, already read the manga until the latest chapter and love it too. And Season 2 first episode turns out to be good too...

Love Live Sunshine!! - Oh yes finally! A Show I've been waiting for so long. Love the Songs (not just the OP, but the singles released before the Anime aswell) and the storyline looks better than I thought. "I still like u's and They hold a special place in my heart, but I still have room for Aquors too.~"

Rewrite - Rumor say that they will only use the common route and Kagari route kind of a letdown for me. As far as I liked to play the VN back in 2013 (and stopped after 10 hours cuz' busy irl), the Anime adaption is good i guess. Characters is fine and the Arts looks nice too.
(I probably will make this green if 2nd Episode changes my mind. But for now It's a blue)
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Fukigen na Mononokean: A pretty boring show about a guy's interaction with youkai and an exorcist, except the jokes aren't funny and there is not much else to even pay attention to in the show.

New Game: Another Doga Kobo 4-koma adpatation. Solid background art and fun characters in a very laid back game development studio, something I can almost identify with.
xxdeathx
New Game - Very fun slice of office life with adult lolis =3= (as unrealistic of a setting for game development companies as it is) and super catchy opening song. Definitely looking to be a good pick this season.

Taboo Tattoo - Seems like this season's Kiznaiver, couldn't make it through half the episode
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Masou Gakuen HxH: It was basically as bad as I expected after reading the ln. Lots of fanservice and censoring with not much of anything else. Strangely the backgrounds and CG were actually not bad, but obviously a lot more money went to the fanservice.

Puzzle & Dragons Cross: A fairly decent looking anime with decent anime about the popular mobile game PAD, except the pacing is a bit weird and the plotline is incredibly confusing for me, who is unacquainted with the series.

Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu: Well, I'm not into BL. It's not amusing for me to watch a guy being so afraid of being judged in a comedy series, and well animation is lackluster (but well expected for a short).

Show By Rock!! Short!!: Didn't expect such a perverted and boring short from this series.

Berserk: That was some awful CG, with inconsistent drawing styles and a few normally drawn scenes added to the mix for an even more awful experience. To make matters worse, there are a few frame drops and almost teleporting like items going across the screen. It is pretty hard on the eyes to watch this show for an extended period of time.

Bananya Umm, the entire ep was bananya hatching from a banana and exploring the house without doing much of anything. Not sure what is appealing about the show except maybe ppl who like this kind of moe....

Amaama to Inazuma: While decently animated and realistic, I doubt I'll see the joys pf parenthood anyday soon. If I could go through the series in a faster way like a manga, I might be interested, but for the anime, I don't think I can take this slow and realistic speed with the plot so heavily focused on parenthood.

Taboo Tatoo: I did not expect this show to be the one that broke my dropping streak, but the first action scene was amazing. Taking a lot of cues from Street Fighter with black stuff coming out after hits and making sure attacks have proper ghosting, the fights are definitely a great watch. I did enjoy a few of the jokes, but as you might expect everything else is very standard shonen fare. However, I read the manga already, so I'm ready for that as long as the fight scenes are as impressive as what I saw in ep 1. (I admit I also ignored the awful CG used in part of the ep, since the action scene is really all I paid attention to)

Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara: Not sure why I tried this after dropping the first season, but while the animation has improved a bit from my memory, the amount of looped scenes has stayed the same. To make matters worse, the pacing for the first ep feels pretty forced with the cooking section nearly completely skimmed over while the ending is incredibly explanation heavy. While that is like the manga, the anime made the pacing change far more apparent and annoying.

Scared Rider Xechs: Super low budget male Symphogear with a Power Rangers twist..... yeah, no.

Arslan Senki: Fuujin Ranbu: Ugly CG + a confusing storyline that I can't remotely follow because I skipped season 1 = something I can't really enjoy watching.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!: It's Fate/Illya's 4th season with all of the yuri humor and at least a little of the action of the action you expect from the series. Besides some of the scenes looking a bit burry, it fixed the storyline change that ended the last season and going rback to following the manga. Besides that, no real changes, so let's watch the build up to Fate/ Magical Shirou.
Kyonko Hizara
Tales of Zesteria the X: Note first that I haven't played the game at all. Initially what made me want to watch this is because ufotable, and the studio did a good job with its Fate/Stay Night adaptation. The setting of the universe seems interesting to me so I am hoping to see good use made of it. I'm excited to see an anime adaptation of a Tales of series game getting more than just an OVA.

NEW GAME!: The characters in this seem really likable and that's mainly what is keeping me wanting to watch it. The setting is interesting but unrealistic but this show isn't going for something that looks realistic.

amaama to inazuma: It seems like a show that would be fun to watch but maybe I am not getting as much enjoyment out of it as I should since I'll never have this sort of experience (aka I never want children). This looks like it will be a slice of life that will get boring with not being able to relate to the situation. Also as I continue to watch this I'm worried that the characters may start to become less likable and more annoying.

Rewrite: I've played very little of the VN. The animation is alright for the most part. However since this is a long VN there will most likely be only the main route done so that's kind of whatever.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!: Illya has really been going on this long?
Yohanes
I only watched 3 4 shows so far, but more to come

Taboo Tattoo Beautiful Animation! Really. Story is typical, and action scene is pretty mediocre. We'll see what happen next as the story progress

Love Live! Sunshine!! So cringey to watch for some reason lol. But since I like the original love live! I'll keep watching this. Oh, and the characters are quite unique too

New Game! I always liked this kind of show, and this one is no exception. Very Fun show to watch although it has nothing special going into it.

ReLife can we really say First Impression about this show? I finished it already lol. Long story short, I really like this anime. It generally focused on character development throughout 13 episode, and they done it really well. The story kinda ends with a cliffhanger, and I definetly want to see Season 2 of this show, but I won't hold my breath for it, since this show is just recently finished airing. also, Hishiro is really cute
Navizel
New Game - Seasonal dose of slice of life.

ReLife - Same with Yohanes. I already finished it. Catching up with the manga too. Not sure about season 2 considering how much they covered with only one season lol.

Taboo Tattoo - Not sure what to feel about this yet. It looks so random. It's not that bad but it's not that great either.

Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu - No. Just no.
Kyonko Hizara
Bananya: Uneventful banana cat. Bananya is kinda cute tho.

Show By Rock!! Short!!: I hate Show By Rock already but I'd frick some of the girls but this makes me hate it even more.
Navizel
Kono Bujitsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - It's one of those anime, isn't it? Someone just tell me otherwise in the closing thoughts cause I'm dropping this show.

Fukigen na Mononokean - Let's just say I'm not a big fan of Kaji Yuki and the always mad characters he's voicing.
DakeDekaane
New Game!: Cute and actually fun. Every character is just lovely (and cute).

ReLIFE: I didn't expect much from the synopsis. After the first episode, this could become one of my favourite shows. Looking forward some tasty character development.
xxdeathx
Planetarium - Who knew that robot girl could be more annoying than Flora...I don't doubt this show is gonna have a really cool story since it's adapted from some Key VN, but the first episode I could only hope she'd shut up.

Kono Bitutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! | This Art Club has a Problem! - Wow. For another school club anime, this show was surprisingly sweet and the main girl Usami is adorable. Her interactions with the guy who draws anime girls are really fun. Definitely my favorite so far this season.
Raiken-
New Game! - Cute and your casual pretty anime girls are here! If you're a lolis (nope) more like cute character lovers this anime is just right for you, I guess. I kinda taking an interest on this one, might collect the episodes until the lastest one. Nice stuff.

Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara - You should atleast just download the first episode and watch it. It's already a climax from the start! It's just good, I watched it in the last day of fasting. It's kinda turned me on (in hunger) though, it's just good as it is.

Love Live! Sunshine!! - If you're Idol Trash, you should've known this shit, well it's pretty weird at first since the main character is kind of too hyped to her stuff (The Idol thingy), Fyi you'll find your waifus in here. Lot of cuties here. Ayy.

I'm planning to watch more, already downloaded some like Tales of Zestiria X, Taboo Tatto, etc.

FIXED.
Navizel
Red means dislike by the way. Green is the opposite. Blue is neutral.
Jindujun93
Berserk: Kill it, burn the remains with flames from hell itself, and scatter the ashes across the sea so that it doesn't spawn any offspring. This might just have been one of the worst castrations of a source material I loved that I've seen (we're not including any videogame adaptions by Kishi here, because those are a special kind of bad). Huge disappointment, really - awful CGI, cutting some of my favorite material of the manga like the Lost Children arc, etc etc. I will stick to this all the same because I don't drop stuff I started, not to mention that it's animated Berserk, but this will be torture. Nobody should sit through this, and Lidenfilms can burn in hell for all I care.

Arslan Senki - Fuujin Ranbu: Aaaaand we've got yet another case of Lidenfilms being Lidenfilms, because the bloodlines are strong here as well. Part of Arslan's faults probably come by the fact that they are leaning closer to Arakawa's manga rather than the original novels, even now when they've already passed the manga, but at least it's only 8 episodes this time, so I figured I could sit through it again. Not impressed so far, though. Not at all.

Days: Might go to red or green later depending on how it goes. So far it's not impressive but not too terrible either, the main draw for me besides it being a soccer anime was that it's by the director of Ginga e Kickoff, which I really enjoyed. MC seems to be too much of an Ippo clone for me so far, so I'll wait and see where this goes with this, but I want to keep a neutral mindset of it for now at least.
Adder
Kono Bitutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!: reading the manga now, this will be my best fav anime, tsukkomi-boke shows are awesome

Taboo Tattoo is interesting too

Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara: exaggerating as hell

NEW GAME!: reminds me of Shirobako
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Servamp: For how styled some parts of the show are, the action was a complete letdown. Didn't laugh at any of the jokes either. I will say that at least the background art and normal sprite movements was fine, but that is not going to make me watch this.

Ozmafia!! While not terrible, you can definitely feel how cliche some aspects are and how it is definitely catered toward a female audience. Also, it is still a 4 min short, so don't expect anything amazing animation wise from it (admittedly it was actually okay to look at)
Rhonin
Relife: The only summer anime that caught my eye, it's pretty interesting and I got a few good laughs, but I hate how they throw all the details at my face by explaining everything rather than letting me figure it out myself, I'm only halfway there so we'll see how it goes.

Edit: Got boring real fast, dropped
DakeDekaane
Momokuri: Stalker Girl, the animation. This is only fun if you're identified with the MC or watching it with someone who identifies with the MC, else it can be really cringe worthy.

91 Days: After the bad experience Gangsta left, I'm hoping this is a good mafia story.

Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin: Besides the cocky MC and character design, it's beautiful.
xxdeathx
Alderamin - Kinda boring until the shipwreck, not very absorbing later on, and character designs weren't any good, but still had my attention long enough to finish. Came here for Rize Taneda, KK and the A. Rockets, Kano, and Madhouse hype, so I'll give it another episode or two to see how it goes.

Amanchu - Boring and unlikable like Flying Bitch. I gave up 3/4 of the way in. Nothing funny, intense, cute, or interesting at all. Characters look stupid and act stupid. Waste of 20 min.
Paxas_old
Kono Bitutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!: really gives the Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! impression to me
Collette = Dekomori
the Prez = Kumin (always sleeping)

the MC is so violent lmao
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Planetarian: Wow, the intro action scene look nice, but the story seems so bland and just filled with uneventful talking. I doubt there is much action later, so probably not worth a shot.

Ange Vierge: Nothing amazing, but nothing too wrong with the show besides the generic plot. It is a fun all female setting with passable action scenes. I'll give it another shot.

Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin: From what I remember, it matches the manga version I read before really well, but the intro is pretty boring, so I'll just wait for actual military strategies come into play.
Kyonko Hizara
Kono Bijutsu-bu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!: Uchimaki speaks to me on a spiritual level. My liking for this anime is probably kind of bias because I too like to partake in the drawing of waifus and do a lot of art things (」*´∇`)」

ReLIFE: I almost passed up this one because the description seemed relatively boring but I feel like this will be one of if not my favourite series this season. Hopefully there will be more insight to more of the characters because the ones introduced seem like they could get interesting.

Amanchu!: Flying Witch but with a scuba diver instead of a witch. Is Kohinata being a scuba diver going to actually be important? Feels like it might just end up being an afterthought.
Navizel
Handa-kun - It's like a spin-off of Barakamon but with everything good removed.

91 Days - Another "breath of fresh air" anime. Just, don't be like Joker Game please. Or maybe Gangsta. They didn't really do the trick for me. Hopefully this one will.
xxdeathx
Both of these I watched today I hyped up too much because of their animation studios :(

Qualidea Code - I kinda expected more from an A-1 show with Lisa and Claris songs but this was rather generic..

Ange Vierge - Far too unoriginal and boring when they spend half an episode talking about random shit in the bath. I saw that the entire cast was full of big name voice actors and it was from Silver Link so I was really hoping for it to be more fun.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! LOVE!: Why did I bother? I was so bored by the initial 5min of dialogue, that I just had to drop it.

91 Days: Definitely not a bad series,. The story is interesting, but the storytelling is a bit slow. On top of that, animation quality is subpar.
Rio-
New Game! - "Shirobako but with Game". That's my first impression and I love Shirobako... Cute Characters (Aoba and "Hoshii Miki Mk.II" especially) and the Animation designs are cute too but not so cute (Doga Kobo always did a great job with Slice of Life anime)... If I can I'm kinda interested to read the manga too but idk.

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - "Usami is a besto" and "Uchimaki might be me, minus the drawing talent". As for the series, this might be my favourite so far. The Episode has a nice comedy and pretty sweet in the end.

Masou Gakuen HxH - Why did I watch this again? I'm dropping this because I don't see some "Hard Ecchi" Anime as a decent anime but I might watch some Episodes when I have the mood for the "Plot" (tbh).
ACDF
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!:

Surprise Colette

Orange: Hoping for a good time travel one

Handa-kun: pretty good too
Meah
Qualidea Code - I can sense that in the near future, lots of people will take Hii-chan as their waifu (Airhead grill best grill eg. Kongou). And for some unexplainable reasons it feels like it's a combination of Rail Wars and Madoka Magica. Plus ClariS is in it too.

Masou Gakuen HxH - Soft porn?

Ange Vierge - I kinda like to see on how this series progress.

Shokugeki no Soma S2 - Shouldn't have read the manga, there's no excitement anymore.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Handa-kun: I have to agree with Navizel here. It is like Barakamon, but the drama feels so amazingly stupid that I can't stand to watch it.
Meah
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - Romance Comedy, favorite genre but in this series I think it's missing something and the story revolves on the club too much. Still I like it.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Thunderbolt Fantasy I wanted to watch another one of these action figure action series for a while now, and well at least I got it. It has a fairly basic plot and well the action scenes are pretty hard to follow. If you enjoy watching action figures walking around, it isn't bad, but it is probably not a show for most.
DakeDekaane
Time Travel Shoujo: I'm not really sure what this show is trying to achieve, science history lessons, time travel drama? MC is really goofy. Still going to watch it because time travel.

QUALIDEA CODE: I'm already tired of high school kids getting ridiculously overpowered magic powers combined with the overused character tropes (the overconfident hero wannabe, the clumsy genki girl, etc) and forced comedy so I'm going to skip this one. I liked this red-hair girl, but not going to bother more with this. Character design and ending song are good tho.

Hitori no Shita: the outcast: Uh, what?

Active Raid 2nd: Thanks for getting another singer for the opening. Still as ridiculous as first season, I'm ready for more.
Pawsu
Orange: Read the manga, loved it. Hoping for a good anime.

New Game: Seriously been hyped for this anime for a while. The style is so cute, and even though it's a slice of life, it's still SUPER enjoyable for me.
show more