forum

MAXIMUM THE HORMONE - A-L-I-E-N

posted
Total Posts
show more
Sophia
If you need NF to testplay it I don't think you're the one supposed to be testplaying it in the first place. Also...

Monstrata wrote:

I'm not trying to rank a map "for people to laugh at". Please don't toss away my poignant and sensitive explanation as simple meme'ing, because I am speaking from the bottom of my heart. There is a great difference between laughing at someone, and laughing with someone. I hope one day you'll be able to understand.
23:42 Monstrata: like, to a certain extent i want people to play the map and laugh at how ludicrous it is too lol
23:43 Monstrata: so yea in a sense. i'm not really mapping this primarily for top 50 etc... to pass/fc. its more for ppl to have fun and laugh at/with the map.
You clearly said you're ranking it for people to laugh at. Or with. Regardless, for people to laugh for it being stupid.

Mapping is not an art, and your map is not a literature work. This kind of thing does not fit and should not fit inside ranked maps - You, as a BN, should know that better than any of us. I have no qualms with you using your "meem speesh lol *quote from people and music from cristina aguillera kkkkj*", but at least be consistent and thoughtful while doing so.

I hope one day you'll be able to understand ranked maps aren't your playground to place things you want with justifications such as literature. Mainly because comparing your mapping to literature itself or life choices and situations is beyond delusional. I think that's an important quality for our Beatmap Nominators to have. But if you don't want to understand that, then don't belittle others and only answer to what you want to answer with long-winded explanations just to divert attention so you can rank it later. That's not how anyone should behave in the mapping community. Again, you should know that many of your answers in this thread were fairly unacceptable and pretty much bullshit, and that that's not acceptable from any mapper. But alas, this will get ranked and you or nothing will change from me doing this, so eh.

The fact you can't see how ridiculously high-horse and demotivating your answers are really baffles me and it kinda scares me that the only fact this is going forward is because of your popularity gotten from previous maps, and that no other BN found anything wrong with the things you have been saying.

If this is what the ones who should take care of this section act like, I'm both scared and disappointed with everyone in it and wonder how you got there and where is this section going from here onwards.
Silverboxer
If anyone else mapped this it would be laughed at regardless of whether the mapper intended that or not. I'm not going to argue because there is no point but this is obviously not a good map for ranking. It doesn't matter that this was made "for fun" because 99% of other mappers aren't allowed to have this "fun" when going for rank. This is an insult to pretty much anyone that can't get their polished up, proper mapsets ranked because everyone is in favor of shit like this.

Disappointing to see from someone like you monstrata.
Nakano Itsuki
I just love it when ppl say mapping isnt art l o l
How come it isnt? Its a form of creativity after all XD
Sophia

StarrStyx wrote:

I just love it when ppl say mapping isnt art l o l
How come it isnt? Its a form of creativity after all XD
If I smear you with elephant feces and cover you in duck feathers while singing the lyrics to Pensamento Tipico de Esquerda Caviar wearing a watermelon around my neck in front of a cheering crowd that would be an incredibly creative way of publicly humiliating you and making myself look like a retard and that is in no way art.

But let's amuse yourselves that mapping is "art", even for a bit. Do you think mapping is a form of art which could even one day hope to compare to literature? If you do, then well, good luck. I'll be looking for the day you mapping the next TV Size Anime Opening by LiSA makes an impact in society or any form of culture in the world in a relevant way.
-kevincela-
I haven't been following the situation, but the last post just feels so wrong that i somehow have to reply in a way or another.

Sophia wrote:

If I smear you with elephant feces and cover you in duck feathers while singing the lyrics to Pensamento Tipico de Esquerda Caviar wearing a watermelon around my neck in front of a cheering crowd that would be an incredibly creative way of publicly humiliating you and making myself look like a retard and that is in no way art.
Let's just skip this part, which is nonsensical and also quite embarassing.

Sophia wrote:

But let's amuse yourselves that mapping is "art", even for a bit.
Let's pick a dictionary and search for the word "art". Here is the definition, according to Oxford Dictionaries (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... nglish/art):

The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination
What is a map, if not an expression of somebody's imagination and skill? If we also take the fact that mapping is based on music, which is by some considered as the most direct type of art, then we can say that mapping is also an art. This is based on a DEFINITION, so I don't think there's really much to say about this!

Sophia wrote:

Do you think mapping is a form of art which could even one day hope to compare to literature?
Why are you even comparing mapping to literature? It's like comparing engraving to music, they have nothing in common except for the fact they're both art expressions. They have completely different audiences as well as intentions, why the heck would you do this? lol

Sophia wrote:

I'll be looking for the day you mapping the next TV Size Anime Opening by LiSA makes an impact in society or any form of culture in the world in a relevant way.
Even a tv size map can be art, it would probably "low quality" art, but it's an interpretation of a song by somebody nonetheless, thus it is art. Also, do you really think art's purpose is to impact society in any way? Haven't you studied the Aesthetic and Romantic movements, where writers wrote mostly just for themselves, recluding themselves from the outer society? Only some art currents have this purpose of "impacting" someone, it's still mostly something depending from the subject who wants to create that piece of art for his own reasons.

I don't know the context in which this whole discussion has been put into, but whatever conception somebody has on an object can be considered as art, even if we're talking about mapping. Hell, Duchamp went as far as saying that art can be a mere process of selection, instead of creation!

The OT ends here for me, I hope you understood what I meant and have a good day.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Mapping is an art. I understand that the concept might be difficult for you to comprehend. Perhaps you should try mapping before you reject it as a form of expression.

Mapping is not literature, it is philosophy. Literature is what you read, it is simply a medium from which ideas are spread. Other mediums include film, photography, anime, music, poetry, painting, food... The list continues. Fundamentally, every piece of art strives to convey a message, however small it may be. At the elementary level, drawings, sketches, photos, paintings, they try to show us the world, from the eyes of the artist. From a different perspective. With a different focus. At a different angle. Using different juxtapositions. They try to show us beauty, to revel in the magnificence of nature, of flavours, of music in harmony. Art allows for ideas to be filtered through the perspective, the opinions, the mental process of the artist. Art doesn't need to impact society, or any form of culture in the world to be successful. It just needs to get its message across. You may disagree with the artist, but whether you agree or disagree, you still process the artist's idea.

While no TV Size Anime Opening by LiSA did make an impact in my life, another song really moved me to pursue my dreams and ambitions, and to really live life to the fullest. It told me that even if the world was ending, even if the entirety of the world were to melt away, that as long as I had something to live for, something that kept me going, my life would not be a waste. The artist acknowledges how ephemeral life can be. That we are simply a ripple in the ocean of life. However, she sings that no matter how futile we may feel, even if the world were to disappear, that nothing should stop us from making the most of our lives. In a sense, she echoes the works of poet Horace's Odes by urging her audience to seize the day. This concept of "carpe diem" is interwoven even in society today, through the more vernacular "yolo" but the artists' messages from two thousand years ago to today continue to be relevant. This song really taught me to make the most out of my life. To do what I want to do, to not look back, to not waste my time worrying, to fully immerse myself in life's beauty. Life is fleeting, so lets make the most out of it! Please listen to this song, perhaps it will give you a new lease on life as it did mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULHQPm8hmVk
ac8129464363
im done

officially
Spaghetti
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Te Amo
I am touched.
winber1
i love boobs
Kimitakari
Im done...
aesu

Monstrata wrote:

Mapping is an art. I understand that the concept might be difficult for you to comprehend. Perhaps you should try mapping before you reject it as a form of expression.

Mapping is not literature, it is philosophy. Literature is what you read, it is simply a medium from which ideas are spread. Other mediums include film, photography, anime, music, poetry, painting, food... The list continues. Fundamentally, every piece of art strives to convey a message, however small it may be. At the elementary level, drawings, sketches, photos, paintings, they try to show us the world, from the eyes of the artist. From a different perspective. With a different focus. At a different angle. Using different juxtapositions. They try to show us beauty, to revel in the magnificence of nature, of flavours, of music in harmony. Art allows for ideas to be filtered through the perspective, the opinions, the mental process of the artist. Art doesn't need to impact society, or any form of culture in the world to be successful. It just needs to get its message across. You may disagree with the artist, but whether you agree or disagree, you still process the artist's idea.

While no TV Size Anime Opening by LiSA did make an impact in my life, another song really moved me to pursue my dreams and ambitions, and to really live life to the fullest. It told me that even if the world was ending, even if the entirety of the world were to melt away, that as long as I had something to live for, something that kept me going, my life would not be a waste. The artist acknowledges how ephemeral life can be. That we are simply a ripple in the ocean of life. However, she sings that no matter how futile we may feel, even if the world were to disappear, that nothing should stop us from making the most of our lives. In a sense, she echoes the works of poet Horace's Odes by urging her audience to seize the day. This concept of "carpe diem" is interwoven even in society today, through the more vernacular "yolo" but the artists' messages from two thousand years ago to today continue to be relevant. This song really taught me to make the most out of my life. To do what I want to do, to not look back, to not waste my time worrying, to fully immerse myself in life's beauty. Life is fleeting, so lets make the most out of it! Please listen to this song, perhaps it will give you a new lease on life as it did mine.

amen
melloe
stone-faced, inscrutable, the greatest memer of our time
a method actor who betrays nothing, he does not break character because he is character

although i like that the sliders are messy, I don't like that they seem completely random and distended in dissimilar ways. the song itself is not THAT unorganized, it's a bit heavy and unkempt but it still does maintain a level of structure and discipline. would you consider keeping some of the sliders messy but making them messy in the same way if they're expressing related sounds? for example
02:10:385 (1) -
02:11:311 (1) -
02:12:238 (1) -
02:13:164 (1) -
02:14:100 (1) -
02:15:026 (1) -
02:15:953 (1) -
02:16:880 (1) -

these sliders are all expressing the exact same sound but it seems like you went out of your way to make some of them as different as possible. i appreciate the concept and i think it works well to an extent, but some of these sliders are so jagged and threatening and others are smooth and have no corners at all. the map is more messy than the song and a good way to trim it just a little bit would be to at least make some of the messy sliders messy in the same way, particularly the long ambitious ones that emphasize heavy beats

some more examples:
01:42:186 (1) -
01:42:836 (1) -
01:43:942 (1) -
01:45:025 (1) -
01:45:670 (1) -
01:46:531 (1) -
01:47:183 (1) -
01:48:241 (3) -
etc

00:31:475 (1,2,3,4) - these sliders, though short, are so fundamentally different that just looking at them is far more jarring than the song itself. especially 00:33:832 (4) - when considering the previous three sliders, it's just so painful.

i absolutely love this 01:38:058 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5) - though, think it fits perfectly, his voice is seriously going wild at that point

didnt comment on flow or playability or anything because im not top 100 rank, but aesthetically i like it for the most part
idke
where did your pp maps go
why did you make art not pp

why
-M4x
well spoken monstrata!
OzzyOzrock
yawn
Alyseka
2 Philosophical 4 me

I still think AR10 is the best option for this map. The note density on the current AR is a bit high. Hell, i would say even with AR10 some of the parts are still hard to read.
And considering the players who would actually play this map, the slow part doesn't even factor into this.

ppy please implement AR11 in the map editor
/s
Side
even if :^)
Shiirn
i would like to shitpost as well

:poop:
emilia
call it art, call it philosophy

but if no one circlejerks it will have no value

this is why "modern" art is considered one of the largest, most successful circlejerk ever to plague our planet lol
Noobish
monstrata was the first mapper to break away from realism and nonpresentational abstract 'art,' the kind that any 3 year old with an editor could reproduce. Are we better off?
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Forlornly wrote:

stone-faced, inscrutable, the greatest memer of our time
a method actor who betrays nothing, he does not break character because he is character

although i like that the sliders are messy, I don't like that they seem completely random and distended in dissimilar ways. the song itself is not THAT unorganized, it's a bit heavy and unkempt but it still does maintain a level of structure and discipline. would you consider keeping some of the sliders messy but making them messy in the same way if they're expressing related sounds? for example
02:10:385 (1) -
02:11:311 (1) -
02:12:238 (1) -
02:13:164 (1) -
02:14:100 (1) -
02:15:026 (1) -
02:15:953 (1) -
02:16:880 (1) -

these sliders are all expressing the exact same sound but it seems like you went out of your way to make some of them as different as possible. i appreciate the concept and i think it works well to an extent, but some of these sliders are so jagged and threatening and others are smooth and have no corners at all. the map is more messy than the song and a good way to trim it just a little bit would be to at least make some of the messy sliders messy in the same way, particularly the long ambitious ones that emphasize heavy beats

some more examples:
01:42:186 (1) -
01:42:836 (1) -
01:43:942 (1) -
01:45:025 (1) -
01:45:670 (1) -
01:46:531 (1) -
01:47:183 (1) -
01:48:241 (3) -
etc

00:31:475 (1,2,3,4) - these sliders, though short, are so fundamentally different that just looking at them is far more jarring than the song itself. especially 00:33:832 (4) - when considering the previous three sliders, it's just so painful.

i absolutely love this 01:38:058 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5) - though, think it fits perfectly, his voice is seriously going wild at that point

didnt comment on flow or playability or anything because im not top 100 rank, but aesthetically i like it for the most part
I want to keep the sliders uniquely messy. I think there's already enough structure involved, both in the consistency of my rhythm choices, and the flow/movement choices between these patterns. Making the sliders symmetrical, or having their shape reflective of what they "sound like" just causes too much order in the map and defeats my intentions. The sliders are there to show chaos, and you can see the slider shapes and patterns devolving in places like 00:27:409 - (orderly to chaotic) 00:36:647 - as well, going from more ordered to chaotic as the vocals rise and become harsher. 01:33:779 - Etc.. the same idea here.

02:03:140 - Here I do a full section of symmetrical sliders to juxtapose with the later section after 02:10:385 - when you hear the vocal switching.

Every slider, no matter how messy or clean, is done with a specific goal in mind. If you look at it in small sections like above, they will of course look disorganized as similar sound profiles see to be mapped to different shapes. I can assure you though, that these are all part of a bigger thread, and one that I believe, looking through the whole first half of the map, is consistent in its chaos.
melloe

estellia- wrote:

this is why "modern" art is considered one of the largest, most successful circlejerk ever to plague our planet lol
That's how it is for everything, if people like it then it has some sort of value. Just because you don't like or appreciate it and think it's silly doesn't mean it's fraudulent and some dirty "circlejerk." I don't really get why people think this map is so esoteric and highbrow "art." It's very simple: messy sliders to represent a messy song. I personally think the sliders are TOO messy but that's ok, that's just where monstrata and people like me might disagree. Shiirn did the same thing with his Comfort mapset -- uneven flow to represent a silly, playful song. And people disparagingly called it "art" just because the concept seemed so wild and otherworldly, when really it was just a little bit unusual from the norm.
Mazziv
Like my comment if you cry yourself to sleep everyday
Comment this if you think mr.monstrata is dungeonmaster
Bubble this for VINXIS nudes
Rank it for drama
Shiirn

Monstrata wrote:

Every slider, no matter how messy or clean, is done with a specific goal in mind.
This sentence has the highest word:bullshit ratio of this year thus far. Just fess up and admit they're made to move in one general direction but have largely randomly placed nodes. That's the entire point of the sliders being ugly as hell while maintaining play structure. You and I both know you haven't spent that much time looking at every single growl and scream. Unless the goal in mind is "lazily shit out a slider and bullshit away critique instead of give consistency to the chaos", then you've failed your goal.

Monstrata wrote:

If you look at it in small sections like above, they will of course look disorganized as similar sound profiles see to be mapped to different shapes. I can assure you though, that these are all part of a bigger thread, and one that I believe, looking through the whole first half of the map, is consistent in its chaos.
My entire personal issue is that the randomly-placed nodes (And if you want to prove me wrong, have fun bullshitting sliders for a few hours, seriously don't waste your time doing that) just make the map look lazy rather than chaotic or ugly. Random red nodes would be more effective than random grey ones, at least then you'll have actual movement instead of insignificant wiggling.

You've mentioned that you specifically have bad blankets and weird overlaps, and that's fine, but weirdo schizophrenic sliders are not a part of that "OCD-triggering" theme, they're just frickin' lazy. It's like midnight right now and I'm going to bed so I won't link the sliders in particular, but I think you know which ones I'm talking about - they're not in any particular section, they're all over the place.

Also the fact that there's that 10-second section near the middle of the beginning and the post-schizo-slider 9 notes that gives the map a full 1.1* of rating, map would be 7.4* if those were more reasonable, damn
Topic Starter
Monstrata
I think you're misquoting me if you think "specific goal in mind" means every individual node. The specific goal is exactly to make them move in general directions, reflect certain flows I want to use, and be all around chaotic in their appearance, constantly variating, and sometimes even obnoxious.

Idk what exceptionally "weirdo" sliders you are talking about so feel free to link them. However, since each slider is uniquely designed, at least assume I did it on purpose first. You're welcome to disagree and call them weird though :).
Shiirn
I have a bit of a quirky mouse.

It oftentimes doubleclicks whenever I click. It's a common problem that mouses get over time, and I have other mouses, but this mouse is the most comfortable so I'm going to use it until it stops working entirely.

As you'd expect, the doubleclicks can get fairly disconcerting when constructing sliders, sometimes turning what I wanted to be a grey node into a red one, or placing two grey nodes several pixels apart.

If I were to create a slider and randomly click along my intended path, I'd end up with a mess of red nodes and weirdly placed grey ones.

Kind of like this.

Or this?

Or this one, which looks like I had a seizure on that cute little mouse of mine.

They're not unrankable, but they're certainly insulting as they're simply lazy and you'd probably dislike if anyone else were doing it, but because it's you you think you can get away with it.

01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1) - still needs to die in a fire
Battle
does that mean my mouse is dying :/\/\/\/
BlueCrystal004
that sounds like some hanzer level shit right there
Sophia

-kevincela- wrote:

Sophia wrote:

Do you think mapping is a form of art which could even one day hope to compare to literature?
Why are you even comparing mapping to literature?
Because the mapper has, in a form to make other people shut up and to make fun of everyone as to not answer issues regarding his maps, constantly compared this to it.

Anyway, monstrata's clearly growing more and more nonsensical as the thread goes forward and won't answer seriously to any kind of criticism on this map hiding it behind "philosophy" or whatever other deep thing he likes to bullshit that this map has, and it'll eventually get ranked because he's a BN and popular. If this was literally anyone else trying to justify his choices by "philosophy" rather than "the sounds clearly ask for it", they'd probably be bashed down to the ground and laughed at, but here we post "beautiful" and meme around it because "lol circeljerk Xddd rank dis". Worst part? Monstrata could very likely explain why he picked the shapes of most sliders, but he keeps hiding behind a "I have a bigger picture, look for the clean behind the ugly, move forward in life, youtubelink".

I still have no idea how someone like this is allowed to be one of the overseers of this section when he is the one currently shitting the most on the standards of it. Disappointing.
SkullFull_old
oh god monstrata you're creeping me out
emilia

Forlornly wrote:

estellia- wrote:

That's how it is for everything, if people like it then it has some sort of value. Just because you don't like or appreciate it and think it's silly doesn't mean it's fraudulent and some dirty "circlejerk." I don't really get why people think this map is so esoteric and highbrow "art." It's very simple: messy sliders to represent a messy song. I personally think the sliders are TOO messy but that's ok, that's just where monstrata and people like me might disagree. Shiirn did the same thing with his Comfort mapset -- uneven flow to represent a silly, playful song. And people disparagingly called it "art" just because the concept seemed so wild and otherworldly, when really it was just a little bit unusual from the norm.
already missing the point, so many things have been brought up about this map and you're neglecting everything else

people have already time and time again stated the fact that monstrata contradicted himself by saying its a map he made for "lolz" and yet still has serious meaning behind it, and somehow that meaning is some shitty excuse of "philosophy". boi, if it were anyone who prompted the "artsy" argument first it'd be monstrata trying to be edgy and defending himself in the shittiest way possible lol. the fact that people are still defending monstrata is such a joke.

all i'm typing out here is an opinion. as much as i see no value in monstrata's map, perhaps you see no value in my argument. many things to mention about what you said about what i said but i'm seriously too lazy lol. typing out arguments is a pain in the ass, especially when it won't make sense to you anyways
Topic Starter
Monstrata
I don't see how those sliders are "lazy". If anything, it takes longer to set up all the nodes. Red nodes end curves and reduce the number of actual turns a slider can have before running out of length. White nodes on the other hand, can theoretically be used indefinitely since they only affect the slider formula for one curve contained between the sliderhead/rednode/slidertail. You're just interpretting hard jagged zigzagged slider shapes using red nodes as the best way to create chaotic sliders. I simply disagree.
Shiirn
lol.
Yueliang

Monstrata wrote:

what the fuck are you smoking, and where can i get some
_handholding

estellia- wrote:

fun fact: the circlejerk is to hate modern art not appreciate it xdddd
Mint
my 2c on this
I feel really bad if the sliders in this map do not satisfy your usual 3°-tilted and slightly-curved ones, but if it really bothers you to that degree; feel free to play estellia's version or, even if you can't, map it yourself. I know that puffy answer is really lame and overmeme'd, but when I browse through the thread, the main message from some people I get is: I don't like it, I think it's ugly, so it must be ugly to everyone. I think that 'map yourself' is perfectly applicable to this situation in this case.

If this map can make you write essay-lengthed posts where you try to override your own standards and style on someone else's set, then maybe it is just as pathetic as modern art has gotten.

You guys made your point clear; you do not like the map. People do understand that after the first post or two - if you have a big problem with any of these issues, feel free to contact the mapper yourself and talk in private, instead of repeating the same message by spamming this thread with highly-subjective self-centered opinions.

Yes, this ranking process is mostly community-driven, but the ones who gave critique are not the whole community, now are they? If there are a handful of people who can also enjoy this, and this fits the current RC objectively, I don't find this set a problem.

Let's get to the set itself.

[General]
  1. I don't think 100% accurate timing can be achieved with this song, but I assume you already made the final timing changes?
  2. Are you still going to change the HP?
  3. Still my doubts on metadata. マキシマム ザ ホルモン vs. マキシマムザホルモン and Maximum the Hormone vs. MAXIMUM THE HORMONE. I hope you can confirm this.

https://twitter.com/MTH_OFFICIAL
    http://www.55mth.com/pc/index.php
    http://www.55mth.com/pc/discography/
    http://www.maximumthehormone.jp/news.html
[Expert]
  1. 00:28:922 (1,2,3,4) - Feels cramped compared to other patterns in this section.
  2. 00:40:119 (2) - Not sure what you're trying to emphasize with this note. The vocal slip is too vague to me, while the guitar is still 1/3.
  3. 00:41:339 (5,3) - Hmm.. had trouble reading this, perhaps because both the head and end of (3) are covered by (5). Not too problematic, but (3) is already appears when (5) is still active... up to you..
  4. 00:43:260 (5,1) - For both emphasis, flow and readability. I think it's best to separate these two a bit more.`
  5. 00:45:199 (1) - 00:50:493 (2) - 01:40:522 (8) - 01:52:133 (1) - 02:14:447 (2) - 02:15:026 (1) - 02:16:532 (3) - 02:23:625 (1) - 02:30:920 (12) - 02:40:786 (5) - For once, I can agree with Shiirn a bit. The last two red notes are impossible to actually see it's affects on the slider body, but I feel they do affect SV somehow. Considering the rules have remained untouched concerning sliders like these, maybe simplify it a bit. The other slider mentioned, should be considered to be simplified, that's all.
  6. 00:56:971 (4,5) - Small angled jumps like these play quite awkward on lower BPM, so I doubt they play nicely on high. Seeing that the angles of previous patterns were pretty sharp, maybe do that here too.
  7. 01:37:630 (5) - Seeing other jump patterns, kinda expected a larger jump here instead of one straight line to emphasize the guitar.
  8. 01:38:058 (1,2,3,4) - 02:26:362 (1,2,3,4) - Completely up to you, but maybe some readability issues in the kicksliders can be solved with having NC pattern consistent of 4 objects each. (would really help with stuff like 02:26:778 (5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4) - etc.)
  9. 01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1) - lol this on high bpm doesnt look smart tbh (tho if a player CAN fc the rest of the diff, this should be really doable if the player is at that level)
  10. 01:46:197 (3,1) - 01:50:506 (3,1) - etc. Due to this being 300 BPM tapping + red line earlier than red tick, I find that this might be hard to catch. Either closer or slider-based jump instead feels more right to me. Maybe it's just me...
  11. 01:47:749 (3) - left out on purpose right? just asking lol
  12. 01:59:570 (1) - Sounds like it's almost blending in with the cymbal crash itself, would raise volume for this object.
  13. 02:02:564 (2,3,4,5) - Considering the intensity of the sounds, kinda expected larger spacing tbh. Maybe use 1.1x like 02:09:830 (2,3,4,5) - ?
  14. 02:21:427 (4,5) - Feels weird since it's so close to the slider end... up to you.
  15. 02:24:229 (3,4,5,1,2,3) - Sounds off. (especially (4) and (3, next combo))
  16. 02:29:206 (4) - Compared to most other overlaps, this slider is like 75% covered, unlike others which are still -kinda- readable.
  17. 02:43:239 (1,2,1,2,1,2) - Wish you made the custom stack a little larger in spacing (like 02:39:686 (1,1,1) - )nso you can actually see the NCs lel, they are readable on it's own, especially since most skins do not have 300 skinned, but the stack with the previous stream doesn't make this exactly more comfortable.
  18. 04:49:418 (1) - Unsnapped.
Disagree with a lot of things myself as well, but it seems, despite the hate, there are also quite a bit of people who would love to see this ranked. One map cannot satisfy all.

Let me know if you decide to fix things and I'll see what I can do!
melloe

estellia- wrote:

already missing the point, so many things have been brought up about this map and you're neglecting everything else

people have already time and time again stated the fact that monstrata contradicted himself by saying its a map he made for "lolz" and yet still has serious meaning behind it, and somehow that meaning is some shitty excuse of "philosophy". boi, if it were anyone who prompted the "artsy" argument first it'd be monstrata trying to be edgy and defending himself in the shittiest way possible lol. the fact that people are still defending monstrata is such a joke.

all i'm typing out here is an opinion. as much as i see no value in monstrata's map, perhaps you see no value in my argument. many things to mention about what you said about what i said but i'm seriously too lazy lol. typing out arguments is a pain in the ass, especially when it won't make sense to you anyways
There is value in your argument in that it brings up (and is itself) a kneejerk reaction for many people who encounter something they find unfamiliar or ugly, which is to promptly slap the label "art" on it and declare it pretentious frivolity. Is it a logically sound argument? No, I don't think so.

You also have to understand that when Monstrata waxes poetic in his long posts that he is meming. He's invoking Horace (he literally said "yolo" in his post), he's posting huge walls of quotes from Woody Allen and Confucious, he linked Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful." He actually posted the actual god damn Tatoe song. All these posts are not "Philosophy," they are "Memes." I really don't know how any of you can think he's actually being serious when he says those things.

His map isn't a sternfaced, semantic composition on death and its meaning. That's what he's saying when he wants people to laugh at/with the map. It's kind of a silly map with silly sliders, and the song itself is pretty out there and wild. It's an interesting map for people to say, "haha wow this is kinda weird/cool." That's what he means when he says laugh. He's not hoping that people think it's utter crap and ridicule the living shit out of it.

It's not a complete mess of a map. He's already said that "there's already enough structure involved, both in the consistency of my rhythm choices, and the flow/movement choices between these patterns" and has chosen the sliders to be messy out of everything else. There's method and reasoning that has gone into the mapping, it's not a throwaway joke. Does this mean that the map is above criticism? Of course not. There are things I don't like about it and have brought up that he has seriously responded to, and other criticism that he is still now dealing with where he doesn't even once mention philosophy.

It's okay to criticize the map. But we should begin by viewing the map as what it simply is, which is "messy sliders for a messy song." There's a lot of ways you can go from there. Maybe the sliders are TOO messy, maybe the sliders are messy in the wrong way, maybe they come across as lazy instead of messy. Maybe you disagree with the rhythm choices, the flow, the bad blankets. That's where you should start when you begin to criticize the map, and if Monstrata doesn't respond to your satisfaction then that's fine. But you have to know that if your purpose in criticizing the map is to make it exactly how you want because you don't like so many things about the map and you want him to make the sliders all pretty and the map all neat, then short of him bending over and letting you backseat map for him, you are not going to get what you want.

If you notice the types of criticism he has been responding to and how he has responded to it, you'll notice a pattern. Any stupid, ideological qualms about the map, he has responded with in a way that he feels the response is deserving of: equally ideological, equally vague, equally unspecific. But if you actually get down and talk about, say, red nodes and white nodes, he will respond in the same terms. Same with actual mods.

And "it won't make sense to you anyway?" Seriously? What kind of puerile grade school jab is that? I suppose next you'll be just responding with a short post: "too long didnt read i kno im better then u anyway xd"

In conclusion, can we really all just stop screaming out "ART!! ART!! ART!!" and make some more productive arguments? Because there are more productive arguments to be made. And if Monstrata is uncompromising and doesn't get anywhere with his map, that's on him. But we first have to give the mapper a little room for himself and stop trying to enforce our arbitrary standards on him for every little thing.
DuckNess

Monstrata wrote:

i am fucking sorry but this makes me wanna killmyself
Arusamour

winber1 wrote:

i love boobs
me2
show more