forum

Christopher Tin - Baba Yetu (feat. Soweto Gospel Choir)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TehTotalPwnage
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 11:34:40 PM

Artist: Christopher Tin
Title: Baba Yetu (feat. Soweto Gospel Choir)
Source: Civilization IV
Tags: civilization 4 iv game soundtrack christopher tin orchestral soweto gospel choir
BPM: 92
Filesize: 24539kb
Play Time: 03:24
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.2 stars, 133 notes)
  2. Normal (1.91 stars, 209 notes)
Download: Christopher Tin - Baba Yetu (feat. Soweto Gospel Choir)
Download: Christopher Tin - Baba Yetu (feat. Soweto Gospel Choir) (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
First attempt at making a beatmap. No experience with this, so any feedback is welcome. Guest difficulties are also very welcome.
Update 3/20/2016
- Minor changes on Normal
- Custom hitsounds added

Update 3/18/2016
- Added menu colors reflecting Civilization IV main menu
- Removed beginning notes at inaudible section of song
- Fixed overlaps on Easy.
- Added more curved and hard line sliders for both difficulties
- Fixed spacing and distance issues (somewhat?)
- Fixed a few miscellanous notes.
* Thanks to Yahuri for the mod!

Update 3/17/2016
- Updated Easy and Normal difficulties

HOTFIX 3/17/2016 (AKA sorry for uploading twice in one day):
- Fixed volume on Easy and Normal difficulties
- Changed Easy settings to differentiate from Normal
- Added 1/4 beat circles to Normal difficulty for further differentiation
- Added Kiai section
* Thanks to A d r i a n for the mod!

Update 3/15/2016
- Added WIP Easy difficulty
- Improved timing for Normal difficulty
- Changed general beatmap settings for Normal difficulty
- Broke apart some lengthy sliders for Normal difficulty
A d r i a n
hey! o/
here is my mod
[General settings]
  1. use tags to find more easy your map owo, for example zun, izayoi sakuya, touhou proyect etc..
  2. you need to change the combo more constantly, the easiest way to do it is just new combo on every big white ticks
  3. 100% of
[Easy]
  1. 01:20:210 (2) - this slider sound weird, generally the sliders dont end on a large white tick i suggest this
  2. 00:42:551 - put a note here
  3. 00:49:725 - suggestion
  4. 00:58:203 - how about a kiai time here? owo
  5. 01:00:159 - suggestion
  6. 01:13:203 - suggestion
  7. 01:19:072 - end of kiai time :B
  8. i think thats all on this diff.
[Normal]
  1. i see this difficult is very similar to the easy xD try to move the objects or reshapes the sliders, or reduce break times
  2. even to reduce the resemblance increase the approach rate and HP drain rate (5 and 4 respectively would be fine)
i think thats all, good luck! and sorry for my bad english xD
Topic Starter
TehTotalPwnage

A d r i a n wrote:

hey! o/
here is my mod
[General settings]
  1. change combo colors, as a suggest: use variations of blue, green and white, but not so bright. WIP, gonna find colors that match the Civ IV theme!
  2. use tags to find more easy your map owo Fixed!
  3. you need to change the combo more constantly, the easiest way to do it is just new combo on every big white ticksCombos are now more broken apart on Easy. Some Normal combos are broken apart.
  4. Use timming points to increase or decrease volume example: 00:11:246 - low volume here, perhaps 40% 00:58:203 - and here high volume maybe 70%
Cool. I'll take note of that for future reference.
[Easy]
  1. 00:27:877 - finish a slider on blue ticks sounds weird, on this part i suggest this rythm or this or similar idea. Am I misunderstanding here? My sliders here end on whole notes (white ticks).
  2. 00:42:551 - put a note here Slider ends at this time.
  3. 00:49:725 - suggestion Not understanding, sliders already laid out like that.
  4. 00:58:203 - how about a kiai time here? owo Overlooked this epic part of the song! Whoops!
  5. 01:00:159 - suggestion Saving for normal map.
  6. 01:13:203 - suggestion Added.
  7. 01:19:072 - end of kiai time :BDone.
  8. i think thats all on this diff.
[Normal]
  1. i see this difficult is very similar to the easy xD try to move the objects or reshapes the sliders, or reduce break times Same break times, but adding more notes and combos.
  2. even to reduce the resemblance increase the approach rate and HP drain rate (5 and 4 respectively would be fine)Changing settings on easy map to compensate.
i think thats all, good luck! and sorry for my bad english xD
Your English was fair enough to understand. Thanks for the mod!
Yahuri
From my queue!

General
-Add custom combo colors. The defaults are super saturated and they don't fit with the video. Suggestions: day sky blue 00:50:866, grass/tree green 01:25:756, purplish pink 02:54:440 (whatever looks nice with the beatmap)
-Find some custom hitsounds, instead of using the Normal set. It doesn't sound natural. Maybe some sort of tribal drums?

Easy
-You absolutely must use distance spacing for Easy. Press Alt and you will see the Distance Spacing multiplier on the top right. Adjust to your preference, and leave the Distance Snap switch on (located on the right side of the screen). You will pretty much need to remap everything.
-You have very few curve sliders, most of them are just straight. Try replacing some straight sliders with curve/hard-angle sliders, especially in the beginning.
-You also have very few circles. Replace a few sliders with these too.
00:16:464 - start mapping here. I don't hear anything before this.
00:16:464 (1,2,3,4) - I don't recommend overlapping anything in Easy.
00:22:659 - there isnt anything here, just follow the basic 1/1 pattern again (if you cant avoid mapping a nonexistent note, map it with a slider end)
00:21:681 (1,2) - overlap
00:24:290 (2,3) - this just isnt very aesthetically pleasing (mainly because short stub on the end of 2, and is not parallel to 3)
01:08:638 (1,2,3,4) - im pretty sure stacking isnt allowed in Easy
00:53:638 (1) - I don't think adding 1/2 in the middle of the difficulty is very good. If you want to use 1/2, interdisperse them throughout the map.
02:41:070 (5) - 1/4 is not recommended for Easy difficulties.
You can apply everything I've pointed out throughout the whole map. You can either completely remap and keep what I've said in mind, or just adjust what you already have.

Normal
-1/4 is extremely rare on Normal maps, so keep that in mind. But this map is quite slow, so you might be able to keep them.
-Pretty much the same comments as Easy. However, the 1/2 notes can overlap with the objects they are in between (timeline-wise)

Apply what I've said to all difficulties. Also, check out recently ranked difficulties and see how they look.
Good luck!
Topic Starter
TehTotalPwnage

Yahuri wrote:

From my queue!

General
-Add custom combo colors. The defaults are super saturated and they don't fit with the video. Suggestions: day sky blue 00:50:866, grass/tree green 01:25:756, purplish pink 02:54:440 (whatever looks nice with the beatmap) I've identified the Civilization IV colors I want to use, so I'll see how those colors fit. They're darker and reflect the Civ IV main menu.
-Find some custom hitsounds, instead of using the Normal set. It doesn't sound natural. Maybe some sort of tribal drums? Will get on it. My system is being picky with my audio software however, so it's going to be a pain in the butt.

Easy
-You absolutely must use distance spacing for Easy. Press Alt and you will see the Distance Spacing multiplier on the top right. Adjust to your preference, and leave the Distance Snap switch on (located on the right side of the screen). You will pretty much need to remap everything. I went back to resnap everything. No clue why it didn't snap despite distance spacing being on while I worked on both difficulties. Oh well.
-You have very few curve sliders, most of them are just straight. Try replacing some straight sliders with curve/hard-angle sliders, especially in the beginning.
-You also have very few circles. Replace a few sliders with these too. Curved more of the sliders and replaced some sliders with circles.
00:16:464 - start mapping here. I don't hear anything before this. There's some drumming before this section, but the MP3 I'm working with is a tad quiet. I'll follow the suggestion about removing that quiet introductory section though.
00:16:464 (1,2,3,4) - I don't recommend overlapping anything in Easy. Wasn't being too strict on overlaps. Whoops.
00:22:659 - there isnt anything here, just follow the basic 1/1 pattern again (if you cant avoid mapping a nonexistent note, map it with a slider end) Changed duration of slider to land on 1/1.
00:21:681 (1,2) - overlap Fixed.
00:24:290 (2,3) - this just isnt very aesthetically pleasing (mainly because short stub on the end of 2, and is not parallel to 3) Now paralleled and has a brief hard angle at the end.
01:08:638 (1,2,3,4) - im pretty sure stacking isnt allowed in Easy Also got rid of stacking.
00:53:638 (1) - I don't think adding 1/2 in the middle of the difficulty is very good. If you want to use 1/2, interdisperse them throughout the map. Gone.
02:41:070 (5) - 1/4 is not recommended for Easy difficulties. The rhythm there makes it feel logical to put a note there. I do admit it feels awkward though, so I'll just keep 1/1 pattern there.
You can apply everything I've pointed out throughout the whole map. You can either completely remap and keep what I've said in mind, or just adjust what you already have.

Normal
-1/4 is extremely rare on Normal maps, so keep that in mind. But this map is quite slow, so you might be able to keep them. For the sake of 92 BPM, I feel like 1/4 works for this map.
-Pretty much the same comments as Easy. However, the 1/2 notes can overlap with the objects they are in between (timeline-wise) Alright, taking note of what I did on Easy and applying it here.

Apply what I've said to all difficulties. Also, check out recently ranked difficulties and see how they look.
Good luck!
This was really helpful in giving me ideas on making my beatmap look more presentable. Thanks for the mod!
This Just In
Great song and pretty good beatmap. My only complaint is the amount of circles stacked on top of each other in normal mode, but that'[s probably just because i'm bad at the game. :)
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.