forum

Someone fill me in on 2009 maps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JOEZCafe
So despite playing Osu! for a fair amount of time (7 months as of this thread), I'm still learning about the meta and jokes surrounding the game's community.
Starting with a nooby shitpost, what's the deal with beatmaps from 2009? I've noticed a lot of people make fun of them and compare some lower quality maps made today to this. Is it based around the limitations of the game at the time? Or how players back then were still getting to grips with mapping? Some explanations would be appreciated, thanks! :)
Yuudachi-kun
2008-2010 maps are fucking amazing and you should love them.
Topic Starter
JOEZCafe

Khelly wrote:

2008-2010 maps are fucking amazing and you should love them.
I have been informed, thank you.
Endaris
Older maps tend to be more conservative regarding their spacing. In contrast they are heavily pattern orientated and often pay more attention to the melody than the background.
Opposed to many newer maps this gives them some characteristic that new maps often times lack.
It's just tendencies though.
People tend to dislike older maps because they rather stress rhythmic accuracy and symmetry above flow and simplicity - mainly because they like moving their cursor more than they like to tap and perhaps because they're incapable of executing the patterns properly.
winber1
#bringdjpopback2016
Yuudachi-kun

winber1 wrote:

#bringdjpopback2016
Holy shit YES

#bringbackjames
chainpullz

Khelly wrote:

#bringbackjames
The man, the mapper, the legend.

HES A STRONG INDEPENDENT BLACK WOMEN WHO DON'T NEED NO MODS!!!
-Makishima S-
Lesjuh come back pls!
DJ Pop come back pls!

Starting with a nooby shitpost, what's the deal with beatmaps from 2009? I've noticed a lot of people make fun of them and compare some lower quality maps made today to this. Is it based around the limitations of the game at the time? Or how players back then were still getting to grips with mapping? Some explanations would be appreciated, thanks! :)
Just random shitting from bads who cannot play old maps properly. Only thing what they can is TV-Size, preferable AR7 3*+DT and nothing else.
Mahogany
Pls get rid of most 2009 maps

(There are a few ok ones)
Yuudachi-kun

Mahogany wrote:

No
bigfeh
guys why can't we have both

I like both 2009 maps and slider art shit
Mismagius

Mahogany wrote:

go away
Mahogany
No pls :(
mad Lou

Khelly wrote:

winber1 wrote:

#bringdjpopback2016
Holy shit YES

#bringbackjames
Also#bringbackm980

and #bringbacklarto
Deva
If someone is saying some map is bad he/she just cant play it.
If the one saying that map is bad is god tier map is legit bad.
silento
Please giff more maps in the style of old maps I love them too. ='(
Lanturn
<3 2009 maps make some of the best rhythms (not all 1/2 spam or cover emphasized jumps for pp) which can make them pretty hard to 100%

They're also where the majority of my favorite FL plays come from.
Mismagius
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... gQ/pubhtml

I always link this to people asking for old maps since I believe it is relevant and helpful for people looking for the ones that stand out :D
chainpullz

Blue Dragon wrote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZNXn40he7JPbaczKYIxNiaAsgLFAz7TJfENgW9gISgQ/pubhtml

I always link this to people asking for old maps since I believe it is relevant and helpful for people looking for the ones that stand out :D
Such a massochist. Me too though.
Mahogany

HK_ wrote:

That's stupid
mad Lou

Mahogany wrote:

HK_ wrote:

That's stupid
But most of the time, that's the case. :P

I love old maps. Where else could you get a map ranked, where even auto mode can't do 100% https://osu.ppy.sh/s/132

or where the map just has an offset of 0.7sec (sadly I deleted that map :( )
Mahogany

mad Lou wrote:

Mahogany wrote:

That's stupid
But most of the time, that's the case. :P
No because the statement is way too general to make any sense whatsoever

Believing this statement is saying that it's impossible for me to dislike a 2* map because I'm able to play it

Even if the 2* map is boring as fuck and uninteresting to play
Deva

Mahogany wrote:

That doesnt make it bad.
Mismagius

Mahogany wrote:

No because the statement is way too general to make any sense whatsoever

Believing this statement is saying that it's impossible for me to dislike a 2* map because I'm able to play it

Just because it's easy doesn't mean it's boring. I understand the train of thought of most of the community that "easy for me = boring and bad" but I really like to make ~2.9-3.5* slow maps and play them afterwards, some people also complimented me because of them saying it was a great way to relax. People should stop having this prejudgement that easy maps are boring and therefore bad ):
Yuudachi-kun
Easy maps are only made interesting with the EZ mod because then I'm not bored to death.
Mahogany

HK_ wrote:

That doesnt make it bad.
If it isn't fun to play then yes it is bad. It's a game and literally the critera is fun=good unfun=bad because games are made to have fun with
That said, in this case someone like myself isn't the target audience for a 2* map, so I cannot properly judge the quality of the map, but at the same time the statement that saying a map is bad means I'm unable to play it is stupid.

Blue Dragon wrote:

Just because it's easy doesn't mean it's boring. I understand the train of thought of most of the community that "easy for me = boring and bad" but I really like to make ~2.9-3.5* slow maps and play them afterwards, some people also complimented me because of them saying it was a great way to relax. People should stop having this prejudgement that easy maps are boring and therefore bad ):
Well as you say a few people dislike maps that aren't difficult for them. I get that some people enjoy slow maps; but it's not for me. I just found HK's statement to be really stupid, and just wanted to use an easy-to-understand example

I didn't mean to imply that *all* 2* maps were boring as fuck and uninteresting to play, just that one particular theoretical map I was using as an example
Yuudachi-kun
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/3990

Incredibly fun 2.98* map right here.
The Gambler
So packs #1-40? I'll take that