forum

Highway Saints - Something for You

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AFlyingRhino
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on den 2 oktober 2016 at 13:13:20

Artist: Highway Saints
Title: Something for You
BPM: 168
Filesize: 8061kb
Play Time: 03:31
Difficulties Available:
  1. Ascension (5,42 stars, 834 notes)
  2. Mackapear's Insane (4,8 stars, 693 notes)
Download: Highway Saints - Something for You
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Found this amazing song and couldn't help but map it :P . Feel free to mod, but be aware, this is probably cluttered by noobie mistakes.

Normal: Not started
Hard: Not started
Mackapear's Insane: Ready for modding
Ascension: Ready for modding
Monarch
Quick thing about the timing of the map, generally maps are at a whole bpm so it is very likely that the bpm of this map is 168 instead of 168.01

As far as your general mapping goes, you've chosen to use a 3.00 initial slider velocity but then have chosen to also use a lower than 1.0x multiplier for pretty much the whole of the song bar a few ten second segments, it would be best to reduce the velocity and just move from there (As far as velocity is concerned 1.9 is a very common number)

Adding further to your mapping, you choice of slider shapes is interesting as is normally the first thing people will notice in a map so it's good to get this right! As a general example you have chosen to use two sliders like this...
00:13:923 (10,1,2) - is the place in the editor

Analysing the sliders solely, you can see the first slider doesn't look very appealing to begin with, then combined with the fact that the second slider randomly runs underneath gives the impression of a low quality section. [Granted it is not this evident in game because I have chosen to lower the AR to emphasise my point, but in slower sections and on various AR's that you will be experimenting with this will be very obvious.]

Done quickly with the editor I made an alternative As you can see the first slider, although is just a simple curve, looks much more appealing than what you had before. Combined with the fact that this then flows straight into the next circle makes it seem much better, the following slider, although just a simply bent slider, is then manipulated around the first slider. [ Even given that my part could be made slightly better in terms of flow by flipping the second slider you get the idea.] By placing sliders in positions that are relative to previous sliders makes the map look nice aesthetically (This include doing things like blanketing sliders as shown in my picture ((t/208596 check this post out for more help on that)))

This technique gives a sense of flow to the pattern in the map which is what is lacking throughout your map. This, although just one example, is a big thing that can be improved throughout your whole map

00:46:957 (3) - to reiterate on my point this slider looks much better than something like this 00:52:135 (1) -

00:31:422 (2,3,4,5,6) - Forgive me if I'm wrong but a lot of streams like this seem as though they should not in fact be streams 00:38:565 (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13) - is another example

As for the death stream, well, just going in circles isn't that appealing and you would benefit from making the whole stream much less spaced with certain areas that increase in spacing (think something like this although this is more for streams that are around either 4 beats long (ie you will do a curve or an increase at something like beat 2 if that fits with the song) or 8 beats long, your stream which is 16+ beats long, due to how straining it is, would more than likely requite notes that are virtually ontop of each other.

Its worth mentioning there are multiple things you can do with streams ( I've given a fuew examples in that one stream [For shorter streams] but you can do other things like having the first short part of the stream be stacked and then snake off) and it's worth just experimenting

Overall, your mapping style is very antique esk and as you look at other maps it will probably improve, especially since this seems to be your first map.

If you need help with any other maps I'd be glad to give input on them but thats really all I can do, the only thing I can recommend from here on out though is that you just make a new map if you want to get into mapping and incorporate what I've talked about.
Topic Starter
AFlyingRhino
Thank you so much for the very high quality mod! Kudosu for you! I didn't expect to get it so quickly. I'll make sure to let you know if more work comes up! :)

Sliders
I've revamped pretty much every slider in the beatmap with what you said in mind, I actually did the first version without even knowing that you can set curve section on sliders, and with your tips, the maps overall look is a lot more visually pleasing compared to before. As for the timing, I have chosen to stay with the current velocity, because if I were to change it now, the timing would be messed up pretty much everywhere unless I change all the velocity changing points. But I will definately think about it more on my future maps.

Streams
00:31:422 (2,3,4,5,6) - Forgive me if I'm wrong but a lot of streams like this seem as though they should not in fact be streams 00:38:565 (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13) - is another example
I mapped those streams to strongly indicate that the song had reached it's chorus since they keep the pace up by a lot. For me it just felt natural, but I could be wrong. I have also added Kiai mode to those parts as of now.

As for the deathstreeam, I revamped it to make it more clear that the stream is accelerating, as you commented about. Now it looks like this. The stream stops multiple times, each time increasing the spacing until a very spaced finish.