forum

Toby Fox - Finale [OsuMania]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rextor
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 9:35:49 AM

Artist: Toby Fox
Title: Finale
Source: Undertale
Tags: video game
BPM: 190
Filesize: 5830kb
Play Time: 01:58
Difficulties Available:
  1. ADV - 4Key (3.18 stars, 987 notes)
  2. EZ - 4Key (0.88 stars, 190 notes)
  3. HD - 4Key (2.7 stars, 662 notes)
  4. MX - 4Key (4.06 stars, 1186 notes)
  5. NM - 4Key (1.75 stars, 476 notes)
Download: Toby Fox - Finale
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
WARNING ! Spoilers image, be sure to finish the game before playing this bm. Stay determined ...
Soul Stealer
[MX]

This mod was created from the perspective of a player, a mapper, and a musician, rather than that of a qualifier or a modder.
And yes, I understand this is graveyarded as of now. Whatever.

Ok, some general tips and acknowledgements:

The storyboard is good and mostly original, but consider making the storyboard with the hearts a little more clean..?
Also, it not only spoils stuff in the game (as mentioned and warned), it also melds into backstory bullshit the Undertale fanbase crated on a whim that just makes no sense and is kinda redundant. Just saying.

The timing sounds correct to me, so good job on that.

The Life Drain is a little too low for how it's a 4* map in my opinion, consider raising it a bit.
For how many long notes are in the song, your Overall Difficulty seems OK.

Why is there a random cut to a different part of the song at 00:58:423 ?

Some general mapping tips

00:00:318 to 00:20:529 ; The song's intro was created lighter and softer than the climax of the song, which was the general intention of Toby Fox to make such an intro. Therefore, all the chords are quite unnecessary, and while it'd be fine in heavier songs, it won't work in an introduction of a song like that.

00:20:529 to 00:40:739 ; Each different note in the patterns that make up each measure is different, and is prominent to a mapper to make the song and the map more three-dimensional. Rather than just adding a chord of two notes in constant 8th notes to an LN melody, listen to the sound of each specific note in the pattern, mapping it more to that. The chords, not the LN.

00:40:739 to 00:58:423 ; Mostly the issue mentioned above, but rather with rhythm. As with the rest of each section, with the exception of the melody, each part repeats every measure or so. While the rhythm as mapped doesn't repeat like the song does, which isn't necessarily better than the same rhythm in all occasions, it doesn't have a relevant one, either. Hell, if the rhythm there were as simple as that, I would have a map for that song posted as well by now! Ok, exaggeration. Just listen to the song closely.

00:508:423 to 01:18:634 ; Wait... what's your LN supposed to be to? It sure isn't the melody, and it doesn't seem to quite match the lower parts, either, which would go twice as fast as how you've mapped it. The random triplets don't really help.

01:18:634 to 01:38:845 ; Good interpretation of the wobbly sounding notes, but, BUT, players would appreciate it, since it doesn't happen much in the song, for you to map it the same. By that, I mean are you going to use LN? No? Maybe just use one or the other.

01:38:845 to 01:48:950 ; Ok, some ranked mappers use a 4 note chord in a 4k map, but that's kind of overusing it, or at least use it for the stuff AFTER that part of the song, if you're not going to remove or change them. It puts across the image that you couldn't have made it harder in any other way, but you could have, kind of. Whatever, you choose what you want over that.

01:48:950 to 01:57:792 ; Same issue as the second one mentioned.

Thanks for reading!