forum

[confirmed] Pasting Information about Timing Sections breaks edit line

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Endaris
When you ctrl+c in the Timing-Tab and then Ctrl+V into the Chat the things you are technically copying and pasting ALL timing sections of the song.
1. Offset: 1.628ms BPM: 154,00
2. Offset: 32.796ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
3. Offset: 57.731ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
4. Offset: 82.666ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
5. Offset: 94.744ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
6. Offset: 120.069ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
7. Offset: 141.887ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
8. Offset: 143.446ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
9. Offset: 145.004ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
10. Offset: 145.199ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
11. Offset: 146.563ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
12. Offset: 148.121ms BPM: Inherited (1x)
However only the first line will be visible AND the tabular formatting breaks(No tabstop between "1. Offset: 1.628ms" and "BPM: 154,00")

As this is a fucking shitload of text it takes A LOT of time to remove it if you accidently pasted it in(frequently happened to me in the last days when I tried to teach people how to time more complicated things) and as the cursor of the edit line keeps jumping in the same place if you try to remove it the user might even get the impression that it is impossible to remove this altogether and if you try to add something in the end it obviously won't show up because you are in a line farther below in the table.
That's also the reason why I wrote that it breaks the edit line in the title cause I just figured out that it IS possible to remove it after holding backspace for 20s or so after I saw how it pastes in a forum-textbox. Before I always felt forced to send it to the person I was communicating with just to get rid of that thing in my edit line - often amidst of a sentence because I just forgot to switch to Compose to get the timestamp that I originally wanted.

In order to communicate about timing sections this is fairly useless imo as the actual information is very sparse(no information about Kiai, Hitsoundvolume, Hitsoundset, Time Signature). If you want to give someone the entire set of timing sections it is more practical to sent them as an additional .osu-difficulty so the other guy doesn't have to add all of them again or even screenshot the timing setup panel. It would also be possible to add an additional copy-option in the timing-tab of the menubar at the top so that people who actually use this(??!?) wouldn't have to miss it.

Suggestion: Change the stuff that gets copied. I would love it if it would only give the information of the uninherited section you are currently in with a timestamp for the offset along with a timestamp of the current position. Like this:

That way it not only provides useful information but it is also easier to remove without deleting your whole line via ctrl+a and backspace. I just found out that you can do this too but eh...suboptimal

As the maps I timed together with the other guys usually were more complicated there were usually more and god, I already grew to hate this so much...

osu! version: 20160127.2cuttingedge

PS: You can also move this to Feature Requests if you think that this isn't a mistake worth a fix. The edit line seemingly not responding anymore is the biggest issue in terms of usability.
Bara-
I think it'd be best to display the whole line, so it also adds kiai/hitsound etc.
Topic Starter
Endaris
For one line or for all lines?
What annoys me the most is that it isn't positionselective on a timeline you can scroll through. If the thing you copy is static regardless of position you can also put it elsewhere and make the copy-function on the timeline interact with the timeline...
Bara-
For 1 line. It will atleast give some information that way
Topic Starter
Endaris
Why got this moved into resolved?
Topic Starter
Endaris

Endaris wrote:

Why got this moved into resolved?
Pawsu
It's archived. Threads older than 3 months automatically get moved.
VeilStar
Moving this back & confirming.

Just CTRL+Z or CTRL+A & backspace if you accidentally paste it though?
Topic Starter
Endaris
Hm true, I didn't get the idea of trying shortcuts cause most ctrl keycombinations tend to have a different use in osu! like modselection etc.
It's still not perfect since ctrl+a/z will always kill the entire line.
Thanks for moving it.