forum

What is MS and what is a good amount?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lottabun
On the bottom right, it says how much ms I have. What does ms mean and what does it affect? I also want to know what's the optimal ms amount for playing, my ms was 1.1, but it changed to .85 for some reason.

Edit: Certain maps it's .85, but typically around 1.1
Endie-
1.8 and .85 are great numbers when it comes to delay. Anything above 10ms is hard to play with.
Nabel_old_1
1 is good I used to play with 2-5ms and did'nt really notice it unless I had a random lag spike. Now I have 0.4-0.8 :p
KanoSet
iirc ppy said 240 fps is good
if 1000 fps is 1ms then 4ms is good
anything below is not
dung eater

KanoSet wrote:

iirc ppy said 240 fps is good
if 1000 fps is 1ms then 4ms is good
anything below is not
i would not suggest any multiple of your screen refresh rate for fps, it will make tearing more visible (tears are on top of each other, same place every frame)

if you have 60/120 hz screen using 230/250 will give less visible tearing, because the tears each refresh are not in the same place on screen

this is if you have a problem with noticeable tearing
Gumpy
I use 1.9 ms becuase nice number
KanoSet

jaaakb wrote:

i would not suggest any multiple of your screen refresh rate for fps, it will make tearing more visible (tears are on top of each other, same place every frame)

if you have 60/120 hz screen using 230/250 will give less visible tearing, because the tears each refresh are not in the same place on screen

good to know, thx ^^
deletemyaccount

jaaakb wrote:

doesn't this increase input latency though?
Endaris

Philantropist wrote:

jaaakb wrote:

doesn't this increase input latency though?
How could the settings of your output device cause input delay?
deletemyaccount

Endaris wrote:

How could the settings of your output device cause input delay?
That's what I'm asking :)

Idk I've always heard people say more fps = better
Endaris
Input-delay is delay related to your input devices.
Monitors are output devices. More FPS=More fluent picture. Higher FPS has diminished returns and is capped for efficient use by the refresh rate of your monitor(60-144Hz).
For osu! higher FPS is used due to the code being somewhat questionable with graphics and game logics running on the same level aka your clicks register on a frame so if the latest frame is 10 years old your hit will be registered like 10 years early even if you are actually late. Running osu! on high FPS makes this problem pretty much invisible even though there's not really an optical benefit(that's also why most other games run in 60 FPS).
Screen tearing is phenomen related to the monitor refreshing the frame. The frame is build up part by part(usually from top to bottom) so depending on how the framerefreshing(what your graphic card does) relates to the monitor refreshing(the monitor does this based on the latest information sent by the graphic card) it can happen that you see strips on your monitor as if the screen was split in two pieces there(or torn apart -> screen tearing). It is visible if the FPS and Hz of the monitor are in phase so that the buildup of the frame is cut off at the same spot every single time. jaaakb's recommendation relates to this phenomen. Setting the FPS to 240 when the monitor displays 60 FPS is very likely to cause some visible screen tearing while 230+60 most likely won't.
I just made this up, could be wrong xd
deletemyaccount

Endaris wrote:

Input-delay is delay related to your input devices.
Monitors are output devices. More FPS=More fluent picture. Higher FPS has diminished returns and is capped for efficient use by the refresh rate of your monitor(60-144Hz).
For osu! higher FPS is used due to the code being somewhat questionable with graphics and game logics running on the same level aka your clicks register on a frame so if the latest frame is 10 years old your hit will be registered like 10 years early even if you are actually late. Running osu! on high FPS makes this problem pretty much invisible even though there's not really an optical benefit(that's also why most other games run in 60 FPS).
Screen tearing is phenomen related to the monitor refreshing the frame. The frame is build up part by part(usually from top to bottom) so depending on how the framerefreshing(what your graphic card does) relates to the monitor refreshing(the monitor does this based on the latest information sent by the graphic card) it can happen that you see strips on your monitor as if the screen was split in two pieces there(or torn apart -> screen tearing). It is visible if the FPS and Hz of the monitor are in phase so that the buildup of the frame is cut off at the same spot every single time. jaaakb's recommendation relates to this phenomen. Setting the FPS to 240 when the monitor displays 60 FPS is very likely to cause some visible screen tearing while 230+60 most likely won't.
I just made this up, could be wrong xd
thanks for the explanation 8-)

It would be great if this was fixed in osu!next
Yolshka
4,2 ms and i have no idea.
for some reason i have 11ms on this map.
Endaris

Philantropist wrote:

It would be great if this was fixed in osu!next
Not going to happen.
kristoks
well i have around 16
rip?
Equbuxu

kristoks wrote:

well i have around 16
rip?

disable vsync in settings, use unlimited framerate instead
abraker
this is a 3 year old thread...
gogofrance4
I have
Zelzatter Zero

umaruta4 wrote:

I have
necroposting is basically when you try to post something when the last post is made more than 1 month ago. Most people donn't like it unless you have a really specific reason to do (like if the thread is on top search of a search engine and most of advices there are kinda outdated), but all in all, necroposting in any means is NOT RECOMMENDED.
KnightHeart
1 ms is epic
show more