forum

Multiple questions about improving my gameplay.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Megumi Kato
hi ppl um Im a pretty shit player whose been playing with a mouse up until like 2 weeks ago when i finally got tablet and I was able to play harder maps immediately compared to on mice before. Ive never actually looked / asked for tips with regards to how to play osu properly so Ill take this opportunity to ask them all.

1) For playing on tablet is using full tablet area a must? I was watching a video for setting up tablet for osu ( EliteDonuts ) and he said that you should go full tablet area when playing. So I tried it and it was just terrible I couldnt even play one star maps cause it required so much arm movement felt like 50 dpi mouse or something, since it was impossible I selected a really small area and I can play fine but does this hurt my accuracy, like I'm sure there's many different ways to play but I just don't want to be doing something that's counter productive resulting in slowing the improvement of my game play.

The area i use on my tablet:

2) Does the way you hold ur pen matter ? I see a lot of like youtube videos where the player is holding the pen in this kind of form.

Like where the pen is perpendicular towards the surface of the tablet. I personally hold it in like a writing form. Also another note is sometimes I do hover but because its so unstable as it shakes in the process I resort to dragging on my tablet covered with a mouse pad. So is there anything advantage by using the "perpendicular form" or is it just personal comfort. Also between hovering and dragging is there a huge difference when it comes to overall success?

3)So I dont know the exact terminology of what these are called but they are my the bane of my existence. Consecutive beats in a row (not overlapping e achother).

How do I exactly hit these (probably really stupid question). Like I have a really hard time with these especially the longer they are. Are you just suppose to spam between the two keys while dragging your cursor over it or is there some special trick that Im not aware of it or is it all just repetitive practice. Thank you for taking your time to read my questions your help is extremely appreciated!
Vuelo Eluko

Kawaii4Life wrote:

How do I exactly hit these (probably really stupid question)
Not at all. Streams are hard to get used to at first. Typically yeah just move your cursor over them while tapping to the 1/4 beat. If you're having a hard time knowing where to have your cursor, behind the stream there's a sort of key spot where approach circles are closing into, keep your cursor in front of that, in the image it can be seen as the large thick green ) curve. It's less distinct the more spaced the stream is.

Use repeat sliders to your advantage and listen carefully to their hitsounds, 95% of the time they give away the exact tempo you need to tap to for the streams.
Reyvateil
1 - About the area, people recommend playing with the largest area you're comfortable with, this varies from person to person and you have to experiment a lot to find the sweet spot, for some it's small, others play with full area + full screen. The idea behind is pretty simple: a larger area assigned to the circles equals to more leniency when aiming.

2 - Grip also depends on person, just being comfortable when moving the pen around is enough, but you can force yourself to learn a grip if you really want to, this takes time.

3 - These are called streams. You just press alternating fingers at the correct timing while moving the cursor along the stream. There is no trick to this, just practice until you get used to them, it's one of the hardest techniques to master.

And here two threads you should've checked first with what I already said and more:

t/99612
t/187364
Topic Starter
Megumi Kato

Reyvateil wrote:

1 - About the area, people recommend playing with the largest area you're comfortable with, this varies from person to person and you have to experiment a lot to find the sweet spot, for some it's small, others play with full area + full screen. The idea behind is pretty simple: a larger area assigned to the circles equals to more leniency when aiming.

2 - Grip also depends on person, just being comfortable when moving the pen around is enough, but you can force yourself to learn a grip if you really want to, this takes time.

3 - These are called streams. You just press alternating fingers at the correct timing while moving the cursor along the stream. There is no trick to this, just practice until you get used to them, it's one of the hardest techniques to master.

And here two threads you should've checked first with what I already said and more:

t/99612
t/187364
Thank you very much I will definitely read both posts thoroughly.
chainpullz
The smaller your area the less precise your aim will be but smaller area also makes large jumps easier. AFAIK most of the fast jump players go for more like 50-70% tablet area to make jumps a bit easier without losing much precision. If you play more small spacing small circle size maps (ie. Stream maps + HR) then full area is ideal.

Also, a lot of people who play full area also play windowed (or letterboxed if input lag) at a smaller than max resolution which basically means they aren't actually using full area for osu.
-Makishima S-
1) Getting used to larger area takes time - same as getting used to lower mouse DPI. You just need to give it time, not 10 min, not 1 hour - like 1-2 days to be decently comfortable and start working on your muscle memory.

2) Hold your pen like it's comfortable to you.

3) Don't bother with streams at the begining, they start to show up ~3,5-4* maps and still not that often. You will have plenty of time to learn them but do not avoid this. Just play them and with time you will be better.

Play more.
Vuelo Eluko
he has 11k playcount and 1k pp, great time to start doing simple streams imo
dung eater
Look at objects/min, ignore stars (play something you are comfortable with aiming)

more objects/min = more streams, harder to tap usually

also look for insane diff names to find streams
Endaris
It is always easier to go from a bigger area to a smaller one as a big one requires you to move your fingers/hand a lot which trains your pencontrol a lot more than a small area can(also true for mice and dpi).

Regarding streams, yes you're supposed to alternate your fingers on these. I'd recommend you practicing that on very slow maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/54321&m=0 SteRRuM's Hard as it is unintuitive for most singletappers at first. I know you could singletap the 1/4 in that map but it's for practice right?. Once you get some basic coordination between your fingers you can quickly raise the speed and play faster maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/62740
The user RaneFire also compiled a decent list of practice maps on his profile so you can grab some for practice.
Topic Starter
Megumi Kato

[Taiga] wrote:

1) Getting used to larger area takes time - same as getting used to lower mouse DPI. You just need to give it time, not 10 min, not 1 hour - like 1-2 days to be decently comfortable and start working on your muscle memory.

2) Hold your pen like it's comfortable to you.

3) Don't bother with streams at the begining, they start to show up ~3,5-4* maps and still not that often. You will have plenty of time to learn them but do not avoid this. Just play them and with time you will be better.

Play more.
Hi I currently can play up to 4.5 star maps but ones that have no or very small streams. praticing streams is one thing but when Im in a really fast spaced map alternating between just single tapping and alternate tapping for streams. My fingers sometimes get stuck for some reason idk does this just mean i need practice or is there something im doing wrong. Ppl said to click lightly but I find clicking lightly usually delays my hit.
Topic Starter
Megumi Kato

Endaris wrote:

It is always easier to go from a bigger area to a smaller one as a big one requires you to move your fingers/hand a lot which trains your pencontrol a lot more than a small area can(also true for mice and dpi).

Regarding streams, yes you're supposed to alternate your fingers on these. I'd recommend you practicing that on very slow maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/54321&m=0 SteRRuM's Hard as it is unintuitive for most singletappers at first. I know you could singletap the 1/4 in that map but it's for practice right?. Once you get some basic coordination between your fingers you can quickly raise the speed and play faster maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/62740
The user RaneFire also compiled a decent list of practice maps on his profile so you can grab some for practice.
hi I played SteRRuM's hard for the first map u link, I passed it but my accuracy was pretty bad and also btw was I suppose to practice my alternate tapping in that map because I single tapped the entire thing so I think I probably did the wrong thing.
Endaris
yeah, why do I even write an explanation if you dont read it...
Mahogany
That's why you gotta separate the threads in GnR from those that look like it'd be worth replying to and those that aren't.

@OP: The first thing you need to change is to fix your tablet area. That is FAR too small. I'd highly recommend you use at least double that.
Yuudachi-kun

chainpullz wrote:

The smaller your area the less precise your aim will be but smaller area also makes large jumps easier
How can large jumps be easier when your aim is less precise and you're more easily able to under or overshoot something
Topic Starter
Megumi Kato

Mahogany wrote:

That's why you gotta separate the threads in GnR from those that look like it'd be worth replying to and those that aren't.

@OP: The first thing you need to change is to fix your tablet area. That is FAR too small. I'd highly recommend you use at least double that.

I increased it to that if thats ok, ive played for probably 3 hrs it still not fully use to it as but I definitely feel that accuracy is much higher just probably need to play more.

@Endaris Im sorry I read the part where you said single tapping the 1/4. Sorry but I don't really know what the 1/4 was so I asked again to reaffirm Im sorry
Mahogany
Are you able to get exact figures for those tablet dimensions? Personally I feel that 2 inches across horizontally should be the minimum anyone uses for playing fullscreen.
Topic Starter
Megumi Kato

Mahogany wrote:

Are you able to get exact figures for those tablet dimensions? Personally I feel that 2 inches across horizontally should be the minimum anyone uses for playing fullscreen.
152 x 95 mm

so its

5.98425 inches x 3.74016 inches

Thats the active area
Mahogany
Your current active area that you're using? That's great if you can play with that well.
Topic Starter
Megumi Kato

Mahogany wrote:

Your current active area that you're using? That's great if you can play with that well.
no thats like the full active area of the tablet. Im currently using half of the horizontal length so approximately 2.9 inches for my horizontal length
I Give Up

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

behind the stream there's a sort of key spot where approach circles are closing into, keep your cursor in front of that, in the image it can be seen as the large thick green ) curve. It's less distinct the more spaced the stream is.
wtf I did not know that ._.
Mahogany

Kawaii4Life wrote:

Mahogany wrote:

no thats like the full active area of the tablet. Im currently using half of the horizontal length so approximately 2.9 inches for my horizontal length
That's still fine. More than I used for a long time so you should be good.
Topic Starter
Megumi Kato
hi um its good so far but there's like really fast jump parts which i cant do with the new area consistently like b4 with the old area, do you recommend just continue to practice and improve or is it ok to adjust smaller area for certain maps with big jumps?
show more