forum

New keyboard player (Need tips & tricks)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MeliodasWRATH_old
Hey.
I recently had the idea to buy a tablet. To do so, I am currently training with the "Keyboard + Mouse". The thing is that in insane (or fast) maps I am not fast enough with my fingers about tapping on my keyboard. I tried doing it with 2 buttons but I am really confused with it, I can't alternate between these 2 buttons.. Do you have some tips & tricks to tell me then I can improve on this keyboard? :p

Have a nice day and thanks.
By the way, feel free to ask more questions in the comments.
Mahogany
Learning to play with keyboard is difficult to adjust to at the start but is very very much worth the time invested.

...that said, there isn't much more to say but "Play more"

Press F10 to disable mouse buttons so you don't accidentally click with your mouse/tablet pen.

...and just keep at it! Decide whether you want to alternate or singletap for now, and then stick exclusively to one of these styles.

Alternating is much more difficult to get used to, but gives you higher effective stamina, as the workload is split between 2 fingers all the time, as well as making the transition into learning triples and streams earlier, and helping you slowstream a lot better.

Singletapping is the more standard mode of tapping, where you only use 1 keyboard key to hit most notes. It's much, much easier to get used to, and means you're less likely to mess up and desync your aim because you're confused about your tapping. The majority of the playerbase singletaps.
Topic Starter
MeliodasWRATH_old

Mahogany wrote:

Learning to play with keyboard is difficult to adjust to at the start but is very very much worth the time invested.

...that said, there isn't much more to say but "Play more"

Press F10 to disable mouse buttons so you don't accidentally click with your mouse/tablet pen.

...and just keep at it! Decide whether you want to alternate or singletap for now, and then stick exclusively to one of these styles.

Alternating is much more difficult to get used to, but gives you higher effective stamina, as the workload is split between 2 fingers all the time, as well as making the transition into learning triples and streams earlier, and helping you slowstream a lot better.

Singletapping is the more standard mode of tapping, where you only use 1 keyboard key to hit most notes. It's much, much easier to get used to, and means you're less likely to mess up and desync your aim because you're confused about your tapping. The majority of the playerbase singletaps.
Thank you for the answer Mahogany. I pressed F10, yup. Do you think that singletapping is still viable? What do you do? Do you singletap or do you doubletap?
KanoSet
playing more is the ultimate trick in this game
for single tapping and alternating do what it feels more natural/comfortable
in other words don't think about it.. push buttons.. believe
Mahogany
Singletap is absolutely viable: The advantages presented by Alternating only become very visible at extremely high levels of play, such as singletapping 300bpm 1/2 notes.

I personally singletap, though I alternate which finger I'm singletapping with whenever I encounter a slider to save stamina.

So like

Using Index>Singletap 5 notes....singletap 5 more...Slider, so I switch finger to middle....singletap 5 with middle, a slider comes up, I switch to index, singletap 5 more...continue with that.

Though that shouldn't really be necessary, but having the same singletap speed for both fingers can be advantageous. In fact, I can singletap longer and faster with my middle finger, but I can't start triples or streams with it.
Topic Starter
MeliodasWRATH_old

Mahogany wrote:

Singletap is absolutely viable: The advantages presented by Alternating only become very visible at extremely high levels of play, such as singletapping 300bpm 1/2 notes.

I personally singletap, though I alternate which finger I'm singletapping with whenever I encounter a slider to save stamina.

So like

Using Index>Singletap 5 notes....singletap 5 more...Slider, so I switch finger to middle....singletap 5 with middle, a slider comes up, I switch to index, singletap 5 more...continue with that.

Though that shouldn't really be necessary, but having the same singletap speed for both fingers can be advantageous. In fact, I can singletap longer and faster with my middle finger, but I can't start triples or streams with it.
I'll add you as friends, if you can accept me :P

Thank you to both of you for helping me. It'll help me much. Even though I'll need an example Mahogany because I don't really get what you said :o
Mahogany

Basically it saves stamina and helps you increase your finger speed for your off-finger. It helped me learn how to stream.

It's a terrible example of it since I was forcing it for the example instead of naturally, but I think it gets the idea of what I do over pretty well. I change finger every time there's a slider, though in the video I just sort of switch randomly because, as I said, bad example.

Sure, go ahead and add me if you want.
Endaris
Sexy hand. :D
Why not recorded on a real map though? With the sweet triples...
Mahogany
I recorded on Up All Night so I had an easy singletap map so there was no confusion about when I was switching fingers for singletaps and for triples ^^
trebby
You'll need to use both keys if you want to play harder maps with streams+triples (I don't mean that you should alternate on every note, singletapping is fine. Streams are where the second key comes in handy).
Keep sticking to it, it'll help out in the long run. If you do, soon enough, playing with the keyboard will come naturally to you.
One last word of advice: alternate consecutive sliders. It'll save you from sliderbreaks.
ZenithPhantasm
Why single tap when you could learn full alt? There would be no confusion after you gitgud at it.
buny
play more
Topic Starter
MeliodasWRATH_old

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Why single tap when you could learn full alt? There would be no confusion after you gitgud at it.
The thing is that I don't really know how to do it. I'm sorry, I'm very very new with the "Keyboard + Mouse". Can you explain to me? Please.
Endaris
Full alternating is what I am doing in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9cu7mhNypk
You can see the key-inputs on the right side and I change my finger on every single notepress I have to do.

This is a video of Barusamikosu playing a deathstream-map so you can see what it looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGx8xIphdiE
A full alternating player will change his finger regardless of the rhythm though, in this case it is so straightforward that even singletappers would play it like this or singletap(they would have to be VERY fast at singletapping, only a few hundred players would be capable of it).
Sh0keR
Singetap = easier to learn
Alternate = hard to learn but better if you master it .

I suggest singletap though unless you really want to tryhard
E m i

Endaris wrote:

This is a video of Barusamikosu
AGRX
50.000 playcount here and i am good at full-alternating, single tapping makes me more accurate on higher OD (overall difficulty).

I would say go with single tapping, and add second finger for streams.
Full-alternating is like a car without a gearbox imo.
Topic Starter
MeliodasWRATH_old

Agrrox wrote:

50.000 playcount here and i am good at full-alternating, single tapping makes me more accurate on higher OD (overall difficulty).

I would say go with single tapping, and add second finger for streams.
Full-alternating is like a car without a gearbox imo.
A "stream" is when there is a lot of circles near than each others, right? Like this?
So I just single-tap and when there is a "stream" I add my second fingers. Okay, I'll try it. Thank you! :P