forum

[duplicate] Add comments to bookmarks in editor

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Side
So I've been thinking that this would be a very neat addition to the editor. Basically what this would do is add an option to add a comment to a bookmark. Think add comment in excel where the comment doesn't appear unless you hover over.

This would be helpful because it would assist with organization, especially if the bookmarks are being set for mapping/modding something at another time.

[*]For example let's say I want to add some bookmarks to remind me that I want to add slider velocity changes in a certain section. Then I can add this comment so if I were to come back to this map next weekend when I have more time I would remember the purpose for the bookmark being there.

[*]Another example, let's say a group of mappers want to make a collab. Normally there will be a storyboard to indicate which mapper mapped which section but let's say the SB isn't ready and the mappers are looking for mods for the 3rd mapper's sections. With these bookmark tags it would make it easier to distinguish each separate part from the others so modders can focus on them.

[*]This would also be helpful for modders. Sometimes modders are not sure what certain inherited timings are there for or maybe there's a section that might seem a bit questionable to modders but with these bookmark comments they could sort of explain their thought processes that way modders can have a better idea of what the mapper is thinking for x-section and work with that in regards to helping to improve the map.

I don't know how complicated this would be. The idea that I had was sometime sort of like this (rough example using ms paint lol). This idea is somewhat of a springboard to the thread about bookmark color changes.

In this case, you would either right click the bookmark in the timeline at the top or bottom or even something like ctrl+B twice (since doing it twice over a bookmark doesn't add another bookmark anyway). This would change the color of the bookmark to something noticeable (orange in this example). The comment bubble would pop up about a second after hovering over the bookmark and display a comment. If the bubble is empty, double clicking the bubble will allow editing. Also maybe it would be useful to have it so comments cannot be edited by anyone other than the owner although I don't know if that would be necessary.

But anyway I really feel this would benefit mappers and modders alike. I would like to hear more suggestions, comments or feedback regarding this idea. If you have any feel free to contribute below!

Thanks! :)

EDIT: I am aware there was a post about this several years ago however it doesn't seem to be explained as well and it doesn't seem people understood the idea behind the post which is to make the editor more convenient for everyone not just the mapper. I also don't think necroing a six year old thread or any duplicates has much meaning if it's been bumped many times before with no official reply.

EDIT2: Just to avoid duplicate lock I'll still necro the old post and copy all of this in that thread :v

EDIT3: Holy fuck even THAT one isn't the oldest one x_x and I can't find it so fuuuuck.

EDIT4: Found them. Hopefully this serves as a reminder :3