forum

Muscle memory and viewing distance

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Qenomo
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

If you sit 1 m away from a screen the distance between two notes will be greater than sitting 2 meters away because of distance... does muscle memory have a way of getting around this?
Trosk-
Moved to Gameplay & Rankings.
Insyni
The mind is very good at figuring out distance changes using focal cues other than the circles. I would assume that the actual muscle movement would stay intact as the mind will compensate for the change in view distance.
chainpullz
Yes, it will require your brain to re-calibrate but your actual muscle memory is still there. It's better to just keep your monitor at the same distance so as not to waste time though. Time spent re-calibrating is time that could have been spent improving existing muscle memory.
KanoSet
i wouldn't worry about that, seriously
Endaris
2m is too far away.
I Give Up
Depth perception improves with muscle memory but there is optimal distance to play which depend on screen pixel density, resolution, how good ur eyes are, and cursor control.
CXu
You'll be fine.
Topic Starter
Qenomo

chainpullz wrote:

Yes, it will require your brain to re-calibrate but your actual muscle memory is still there. It's better to just keep your monitor at the same distance so as not to waste time though. Time spent re-calibrating is time that could have been spent improving existing muscle memory.

KukiMonster wrote:

Depth perception improves with muscle memory but there is optimal distance to play which depend on screen pixel density, resolution, how good ur eyes are, and cursor control.
So we have muscle memory dependent on depth perception as well. That's cool. Thanks for clearing it up. A similar thing is with a tablet pen, the higher you grip the pen up the less you have to tilt the pen to get a certain distance... that's why I use mouse.
Infevo
All that matter is the device movement/cursor movement relation. It is independent from your viewing distance.
ZenithPhantasm
just play more
meteor22
I sit at around 50 centimeters or less.

The closest the better because the light will take less time traveling from the screen to your eyes, so less input lag :)
Infevo

meteor22 wrote:

The closest the better because the light will take less time traveling from the screen to your eyes, so less input lag :)
=]

I think about amputating my hands off my forearms and replant them closer to my nervous system. Next level tactics.
dung eater

Infevo wrote:

meteor22 wrote:

=]

I think about amputating my hands off my forearms and replant them closer to my nervous system. Next level tactics.
just use tongue to aim and some facial muscles to tap :)
Infevo

jaaakb wrote:

Infevo wrote:

=]

just use tongue to aim and some facial muscles to tap :)
Please, no trolling. :^)
Roxy Lalonde

meteor22 wrote:

I think the "input lag" for light travel would be around a fraction of a nanosecond.

To add onto the topic, what really matters is the scale. Most methods of play (mouse, tablet) require muscle memory independent of the viewing distance because the muscle movements always correspond to the scale onscreen, rather than the scale presented visually. Generally speaking, your mind can negate most common viewing fluctuations but 1-2 meters is a rather large change (I assume that was just an example number though). If you can see the entire playfield without straining your eyes or your neck, then you're in an acceptable viewing distance.

I find that being closer to the screen allows me to be more precise with my cursor movements but being further allows me to foresee patterns and make long jumps easier. However, my playing method is highly dependent on viewing distance and screen scale, unlike mouse/tablet, so I can't really project my experience onto another player.