show more
Zeugziumy
Wow cool project...
I hope you get a nice work there...
And I hope there is taiko T-T

It could have flash for chat, at the Right >>>, like Kongregate
peppy

TheCameleon wrote:

Fo now, we just use the full screen size ;)
And i'm saying it's therefore horribly wrong.
Hyguys
There's much things missing.
the song.
sliders.
spinners.
and much more.
and more beatmaps.
but good job!

sry for my bad english.
RandomJibberish
You need to enforce the aspect ratio or it breaks spacing and patterns. All the squares in the map turn into fat rectangles lol

I also reccomend you make the circle sizes proportionate.
TheCameleon
Wow... the ratio breaks all my size variables :/ I'll have to fix that !
Now, I will focus on the server side as my new server is much more flexible ;) This might bring music to the game ! Please note that this include that music does require flash.

About beatmaps, right now it just takes the first one in the "ranked", and the first difficulty ;)
peppy
Using flash is a bad direction. If you use flash for the music, you should use flash for everything, as it will handle better.
TheCameleon
Flash is the only way to get the playing time ;) If I could I wouldn't use it.

Edit : Now I'm working on the server part. It's the only way to get the music ;)
First, you will only have a limited choice of beatmaps ;) I'm still having issues, like that :
You are downloading too many maps at once. Lay off for a bit.
This is what appends when trying to get osz files :/

I'll work on JavaScript later. I'll focus on music (quite easy), then sliders (quite hard).
mm201
Your best bet is to write a crawler like Bagno's to slowly copy the beatmaps over to your own server. You'll want to think about re-encoding the mp3s to something super-low-quality for the web.

Or do it by hand for the time being. =P
peppy
Crawling is bad m'kay?

Just select a few beatmaps and copy them locally to your server (manually). Don't even attempt to allow any map to be played until you have the game in a working state. We can discuss hosting at that point.
IppE

MetalMario201 wrote:

You'll want to think about re-encoding the mp3s to something super-low-quality for the web.
HE-AACv2, anyone? :D
TheCameleon
I'll download the latest beatmap (osz) through php once a day.
I will leave it as it on the server. And extract the mp3 on the server. I may extract osu files too.
That sounds good but it's just an idea. I still need to code it.
At the beginning I wont compress the mp3 file as one lonely mp3 isnt that big on a server. (but longer to load for the user) This might change later of course.

That part will be done quite soon as it's not very hard ;)
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

Using flash is a bad direction. If you use flash for the music, you should use flash for everything, as it will handle better.
I've been trying to say this all along.

TheCameleon wrote:

<audio> supports timing cues, IIRC, which may fit what you (think you) need.
TheCameleon

strager wrote:

peppy wrote:

I've been trying to say this all along.

TheCameleon wrote:

<audio> supports timing cues, IIRC, which may fit what you (think you) need.
The main problem is that right now firefox's <audio> doesn't read mp3 (only ogg - which isn't much used in beatmpaps). And firefox is one of the main <canvas>-able browser. That wouldn't be nice to make users use Chrome only for that. 

When firefox and the main browsers will be able to play mp3, <audio> will be usable. Btw, now most of the "games" (aka proof of concept) using <canvas> do use flash ;)
peppy
So use ogg?
TheCameleon
Can't convert from mp3 to ogg with php :/
peppy
Sure you can. Also, stop worrying about automatic conversion. Convert a single map and make the game work. Worry about conversion later.
TheCameleon
Conversion would use command line tools (and function such as exec() or system()), which aren't available on free servers.
I prefer to use flash and mp3 at the beginning ;)
peppy
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to listen to advice, not ignore it.

*stops following thread*
anonymous_old
How about you abstract it enough so you can replace it when needed and so people can stop discussion shit which doesn't matter because this won't be finished anyway?
TheCameleon
Well... Thanks a lot for your help !
I won't say anything about any future updates here.

Thanks, those who were interested in this project ;) I may DM you.
Zeugziumy
For my opnion... HTML5 is still on searches for more improvement...
So... Like the project will take a long time, there will be LOTS of changes when making it...
Also... I don't know if someone saw my older message, but an flashed integrated chat at the left... Can add the chats and can choose the tabs
Neo Adonis

TheCameleon wrote:

Conversion would use command line tools (and function such as exec() or system()), which aren't available on free servers.)
If the project works, you would ask for donations so you can (maybe) move it to another server. Do the most you can, and follow advices. Trust me, they are helpful.
peppy
I already mentioned how they can obtain free space for hosting without funding. Only noone listened.
Topic Starter
Clemaister
It's understood. I'll try to deal that with TheCameleon.
TheCameleon

peppy wrote:

I already mentioned how they can obtain free space for hosting without funding. Only noone listened.
We no longer have disk space problem ;) Thanks for advice anyway, I keep that in mind in case.
About the chat, it will come later, when the game itself will be done (btw it would a ajax based chat - I seriously want to use flash as least as possible).
About ogg/mp3 I prefer to use mp3 (or ogg for beatmaps using it) as later we will use them from the osz files "as it". I'm working on the server side now and I'd like to make it be done and avoid too much future changes. @gabrielwoj is right, html5 support is improving :) For example <audio> mp3 will land in firefox for sure, but need to wait a little bit.
peppy

TheCameleon wrote:

About ogg/mp3 I prefer to use mp3 (or ogg for beatmaps using it) as later we will use them from the osz files "as is".
You're missing the point and this thread is going nowhere.
IppE

TheCameleon wrote:

About ogg/mp3 I prefer to use mp3
Why get stuck with something from the 90's thats technically a bad codec to begin with and not even fully supported by the most common browsers?

You'll get the quality of 320kbps mp3 with 192kbps using Vorbis :v
TheCameleon

IppE602 wrote:

Why get stuck with something from the 90's thats technically a bad codec to begin with and not even fully supported by the most common browsers?

You'll get the quality of 320kbps mp3 with 192kbps using Vorbis :v
You are damn right !
Moreover ogg is a free/open format :) That's a good point !
I may switch to ogg, and by the way, I will no longer need flash (another non-open format) :)
(I'm a linux user, and I love open stuff :))

I'll see later how to convert mp3 to ogg using php ;)
Any idea around ? with my free hosting ?

(now this thread is going somewhere :P)
IppE
Now I have no idea how the hell php works, but you should probably go with the aoTuVb5.7 based oggenc2, found here http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggenc.php (Though I heard they merged the aoTuV trunk to libVorbis in 1.3.0, so I guess it doesn't matter which you take)

It needs a .wav input (or .flac ect. main point is that .mp3 doesn't work as is) which might be problematic, but you could use some transcoding thing like besweet that converts it to raw pcm stream before passing it to the encoder...
sp1ky
As previously recommended, get a single map (whether based on an osz or otherwise) functional using whatever technologies are easiest to implement, then worry about it being compatible with existing systems.
TheCameleon
In the meanwhile I found out out to download osz from osu!'s server :) and to save them on my server (caching system) :) quite long to load (9Mo to be downloaded by php for my test beatmap) but it works !
That way I got mp3 + osu.

For those wondering : I know that's mp3 files, but this feature will be required for sure soon or later (won't stay in manual mode forever...)

Edit : Do you know a beatmap that uses ogg music files ? That way I can do my tests with a true beatmap (instead of manual conversion) :)
anonymous_old
I see one problem with transcoding (on-the-fly or manually): offsets.

But seriously.

Just get the game engine working before worrying about useless details.
TheCameleon

strager wrote:

Just get the game engine working before worrying about useless details.
If server side is a "useless detail", we will have fun playing.... without beatmaps !

I found "some" beatmaps with ogg music files :)
TheCameleon
Wow ! I found some intersting stuff about <audio> support
Firefox = ogg
Safari = mp3 (no ogg)
Opera = ogg (mp3?)
Chrome = ?

The point with firefox is that mp3 is a closed codec. Mozilla might pay someting like 5 millions to get mp3 licence fee. (again, why do I like open source against closed stuff)
Safari doesn't play ogg as they "own" a part of mp3. They only use mp3 cause they make money everytime a company wants to make a mp3 player.
Or at last that's what I understood... (again why I love apple)

Source : http://angelo.mandato.com/2010/05/03/ht ... ace-flash/

Edit : daily idea : Chrome only :) no more problem (Chromium is open source :P)
IppE
both mp3 and ogg work in chrome.

Well at least in Chromium, no idea about chrome actually lol.
TheCameleon
Yes I found that out too
The music code problem is now "solved"
Will have to wait until every browser supports both formats for it to be perfect...

I can now focus on active development :)
It will be 100% open source (no more flash) :) perfect !
Zeugziumy

TheCameleon wrote:

Yes I found that out too
The music code problem is now "solved"
Will have to wait until every browser supports both formats for it to be perfect...

I can now focus on active development :)
It will be 100% open source (no more flash) :) perfect !
Hey flash is good!
And someone did saw my REPLY AGAIN? No replies about it .______.
Also, you are making at linux? Programming it's better on linux, my opnion!
TheCameleon

gabrielwoj wrote:

Hey flash is good!
And someone did saw my REPLY AGAIN? No replies about it .______.
Also, you are making at linux? Programming it's better on linux, my opnion!
Speaking about a flash-based chat, right?
A chat (or osu's IRC) may be implemented ;) But that won't be for soon, other features are more important (basically make the game work).
As I'm focussing on html5/js only, the chat would be in javascript ;)

Edit : yes, proud linux user (Ubuntu indeed) !
anonymous_old

TheCameleon wrote:

The point with firefox is that mp3 is a closed codec. Mozilla might pay someting like 5 millions to get mp3 licence fee. (again, why do I like open source against closed stuff)
It's a licensing issue, not a closed source / open source issue.

TheCameleon wrote:

Safari doesn't play ogg as they "own" a part of mp3. They only use mp3 cause they make money everytime a company wants to make a mp3 player.

My head hurts reading posts in this thread.

But it's fun to laugh at, I guess.

HEY GABRIELWOJ! viewtopic.php?p=537883#p537883
Zeugziumy

strager wrote:

TheCameleon wrote:

It's a licensing issue, not a closed source / open source issue.

TheCameleon wrote:

My head hurts reading posts in this thread.

But it's fun to laugh at, I guess.

HEY GABRIELWOJ! viewtopic.php?p=537883#p537883
O:
Now I saw, because no-one did quoted mine :D

Ubuntu is good (TheCameleon's Post)... I have here too...
Linux are good, but people preffer Windows >_>
show more