forum

Share your gaming Technique

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gnt101
I was just wondering about how everyone plays,
do you play many times in a row to be good?
how do you control your mouse?
do you have trouble with mouse position so you have to fix it once in a while?
are u good at spinners?
do you have a special learning skill? or something like that...
iSlapWhale
I useally play a map 25-30 times untill i can get it fully ^^
Feno_old
I put maps that have alot of a certain gameplay element(gay triplets for example) into Favourites B. And then I play those maps alot until I get the technique down.
Lesjuh
Escape Retry x Infinity = Succes!
anonymous_old

gnt101 wrote:

No. I play until it becomes un-fun. Which is usually after one try.

gnt101 wrote:

I'm weird and I turn my mouse. I don't recommend it. But I can do weird shit most others can't do.

gnt101 wrote:

Yes, because I turn my mouse. My mouse sometimes goes off the table or comes too close to the monitor, severely hurting gameplay.

gnt101 wrote:

are u good at spinners?
I was good(ish), until I moved and got stuck with this shitty desk. Posture is important when playing osu!.

gnt101 wrote:

Experiment! Try different things. Try ZX instead of clicking the mouse. Try a hybrid, clicking and using X. Try spinning backwards. Try a different sensitivity (but make sure you remember your old one, as this can hurt your gameplay significantly, especially with small changes!). Try a different mouse. Try holding your mouse differently. Try moving your keyboard and mouse on your desk. Try windowed or fullscreen with different resolutions. Try until you get something you're more comfortable with.
KRZY

Lesjuh wrote:

SilentWings_old
takes breaks between several tries.
it helps
dNextGen

Lesjuh wrote:

8-)
Hanyuu
think about your faults and try to make it better every time you try :D
Firo Prochainezo
Yup.
Like a normal person does.
No.
are u good at spinners?
Nope.
No.
LaCreme
Believe in yourself

/thread
anonymous_old

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

are u good at spinners?
I think so, I usually do 300 spm.
This is below average.

400+ is "good".
Firo Prochainezo

strager wrote:

This is below average.

400+ is "good".
Oh ok, I'll edit that.
tossapon
Yes and sometime even exceed 100 plays and even more with mods.

Usually after a spinner.

are u good at spinners?
I usually do 450+ and occasionally 470+ on some spinner.
CXu

SilentWings wrote:

takes breaks between several tries.
it helps
Gopice

strager wrote:

Try a different sensitivity (but make sure you remember your old one, as this can hurt your gameplay significantly, especially with small changes!).
I used to be frantic about this. Going even as far like making the sensitivity relative to my screen resolution (when switching between windowed and full-screen play). However later I found out that changing the sensitivity doesn't have nearly as much impact as I thought. I can increase/decrease my sensitivity by about 30%(including smaller changes) without really affecting gameplay. Of-course this could be a personal thing.
Shiro
How to be good: playplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplay
playplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplay

Seriously. There's no faster way to become good, there's no easier way to become good, there's no economical way to become good. The only way to become good is to PLAY until you're good. And when you're good, play more to be better.

PS: If I misunderstood the goal of this topic, ignore that post.

PPS: I just play. F2, enter, play, F2, enter, play, F2, enter, play.
Fabi

strager wrote:

Posture is important when playing osu! and experiment! Until you find "best comfort" to play osu!. And practice, practice! Spun out+No fail and try harder maps.
anonymous_old

Odaril wrote:

Seriously. There's no faster way to become good, there's no easier way to become good, there's no economical way to become good. The only way to become good is to PLAY until you're good. And when you're good, play more to be better.
The only way to not have fun playing is to PLAY until you're good.

Odaril wrote:

I do this in short bursts (as SilentWings suggested).
Sup A Noob
Maps I like: Favourites A
Maps difficult to pass/get B or above/consistently get good scores: Favourites B

Just look at my play history.
FireballFlame

xXSupanoobXx wrote:

Maps I like: Favourites A
Maps difficult to pass/get B or above/consistently get good scores: Favourites B
I do the same thing, FavB is my todo-list.

gnt101 wrote:

Yes. I play maps lots of times if I like them, but if I can't achieve my goal and am not making progress, taking a break helps.

gnt101 wrote:

I play mouse only, set to low sensitivity (700dpi and 1,0x; about 5,5cm of mouse movement to go from one screen corner to the opposite one). I can aim more precisely that way than if it was faster.

gnt101 wrote:

are u good at spinners?
Low sensitivity means I have to reposition the mouse sometimes; but not after spinners. Doing small circles helps.

gnt101 wrote:

Practice. Practice a lot. But know when to give up on a map you can't beat to prevent getting frustrated.
aston_old
If you're S ranking, you're not challenging yourself. THUS, you're not getting better.
Esc + Retry is my favorite method, but it gets tiring after 50 or so times.
anonymous_old

aston wrote:

If you're S ranking, you're not challenging yourself. THUS, you're not getting better.
If you're B or above, you're not challenging yourself.
Firo Prochainezo
If you're S ranking, you're not challenging yourself.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA.
dkun

Odaril wrote:

How to be good: playplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplay
playplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplayplay

PS: If I misunderstood the goal of this topic, ignore that post.

I concur, but know your limits. ;)
Sup A Noob

aston wrote:

I fail to make any sense out of this.

Second method is EXACTLY why people end up quitting osu! standard.
Adarin

gnt101 wrote:

Depending on the song, how much I like the map and the difficulty - the harder it is, the more retries it takes and the more I like the map, the more determined I am to at least get an S.

gnt101 wrote:

I try to move it physically as little as possible.

gnt101 wrote:

Yes - all the time, especially after spinners and if there are jumps. That's what I'm trying to avoid with moving it as little as possible.

gnt101 wrote:

are u good at spinners?
It depends - some days, I can spin much faster than others.

gnt101 wrote:

Like strager - trying new things until I find something I'm comfortable with.
anonymous_old

xXSupanoobXx wrote:

aston wrote:

I fail to make any sense out of this.
Then you're doing it wrong.
Pashune
Me still being a newbie and all, I'll typically try to complete a song on hard difficulty until I get sick of failing over and over again.. then I enabled the no-fail mod. If that method doesn't work, I'll watch a reply of some pro playing it. If THAT doesn't work.. (after 50 attempts or so), I just give up on that song and move to another one.

But if it's a song I really like, I tend to rage a bit if I can't beat the map after a while. I think the worst I've done is throwing the stylus and swearing a bit. :o I think I'm going to have a severe case of carpal tunnel in my left hand before I get much better. >:(
James
Posture is important when playing osu!.
Agreed with this. As much as I want to raise my rank back to ~100 but I cant play properly using my current setup.

And also get comfortable with your mouse settings. It is important also.

Once you have the two above... Escape > Retry x 213131243423423...
Kitsunemimi

James wrote:

Posture is important when playing osu!.
Agreed with this. As much as I want to raise my rank back to ~100 but I cant play properly using my current setup.
[...]
Escape > Retry x 213131243423423...
+1 on posture btw.

Also, if you want to raise ranks, you could spam maps too... Apparently I don't have enough maps.
Misho_old
Best way to learn is playing hard maps.. and the most awesome gameplay is aviable with touchscreen.. pure fun.
Shiirn
I always work my way up the difficulty of a map until I just can't pass it at all. And then, try Half Time on the maps that are impossible for me (pretty much only Hard+ / insanes now).

Posture is incredibly important, +1.

I can't count how many times I realized I was slouching and raging at how I was missing beats, then SS'd the song after sitting back up.

Wrist support really works wonders as well. I find that having the mouse at the edge of the table, where the flat of your wrist can lie on the edge (works great with rounded edges) allows you enough freedom to move the mouse while keeping your arm from cramping. Of course, the higher the sensitivity of your mouse, the more effective this is - if your sens is too low, you'll need to move the mouse off the table to move your cursor far enough. That'd be a problem.

And I severely disagree with the S-ranking not being challenging point.

More often than not, getting a perfect S on a lower level map is just as difficult as barely-passing a much harder map. (like, say, Sing a 4-star compared to B-ing a 5star)

If you're constantly getting Cs and Ds, you're obviously not doing something right. "Challenging yourself" is no excuse for beating yourself into a ditch. If you enjoy constantly almost-failing, by all means. If you would rather enjoy succeeding and doing well while also knowing you can pull off Cs and Ds on harder maps (no mods), by all means.
-Soba-

I usually go for fc's in groups. I'll play like 5 maps and just go down the list over and over. That way I don't get tired of playing the same one over again.

By throwing it off to the side and using a tablet

no it's positioned perfectly in my gym bag

are u good at spinners?

psh no

uh play over and over?
Gon
Basically start off by warming up on hard/easy insane maps, then slowly move up the difficulty ramp to higher insane/lunatic/another maps (ones which i have a harder time getting rank A or S on). Once I'm fully warm, I start on streamy maps(170-230++ bpm), retarded approved maps, attempt to pass maps i can't pass, get tired after 3++ hours, and call it a day (the part where i realize i can't 1up my personal scores).

I don't play more than 6-7 plays tops on a map per day (depends on how confident I am) since i tend to mental block/brain fart stuff (the part where you overplay a map and start screwing up on easy shit), so i just play a wide variety of maps, attempt to improve old scores and fix As/Bs/Cs constantly. Looking to see how far I can go with a 800 dpi mouse and a table surface, lol. Currently trying to get used to my Razor Goliathus, but it gives so much resistance and is just exhausting to play on, pretty indecisive atm :roll:

tl;dr I suck, don't listen to me
Hiyorin

-Soba- wrote:

By throwing it off to the side and using a tablet

no it's positioned perfectly in my gym bag
lol

and yeah practice makes perfect