forum

Super Mario Maker

posted
Total Posts
show more
Lanturn

Green Platinum wrote:

You knew about p-switch door entry?
It was mostly trial and error for me. I tried springs and yoshi as well, but the p-switch worked. I remember the original super mario world you could jump off of p-switches and such before it vanished, so it seemed only logical. I even tried to eat the P-switch with Yoshi before it ran out to reset the switch. The piranha plant growing downwards was also new to me.

Blazevoir wrote:

@Lanturn: Not particularly directing this towards you, but WE SERIOUSLY NEED CHECKPOINTS >_> *collapse*
^ I agree. A checkpoint at about where that hammer bros or flame thing was would have been perfect.

Green Platinum wrote:

Managed to get to Bowser using only 3 P-switches but then I died due to time
A fast run from me had about 100 seconds left, and wait, what do you mean you only used 3 P-switches? Did you find a skip or something?
Green Platinum
You can use a cannonball fron the room with the firebars to skip the starting section and the spring. You then pass the next 3 walls using P-switches and you can skip the sledge bro and the one just before Bowser with some luck.
Lanturn
Time to get rid of that cannonball then....

Yeah the sledgebro one is a bit glitchy, but I decided to leave it. For the Bowser Room one. there's no real point skipping it, but I guess you could if you wanted to lol.
Green Platinum
I was aiming for minimum P-switches to Bowser
Stefan

Blazevoir wrote:

Not free. It's $2.49 USD for one version and $3.49 if you get it for both.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAA 。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。 Never mind I probably buy that for WiiU too and get these packages.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Green Platinum wrote:

Did you you get to the p-switches at least? Because I count them as the start of the puzzle. If you haven't seen any spoilers yet perhaps watch a bit of the VOD I linked to help you get started.
I found them, but I don't know what to do with the 2nd one...

Guess I'll take your advice once I give it another go.

EDIT: I give up... Also, I think you posted the wrong times for that video, because I didn't see your level at that point.
Green Platinum

Blazevoir wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

Did you you get to the p-switches at least? Because I count them as the start of the puzzle. If you haven't seen any spoilers yet perhaps watch a bit of the VOD I linked to help you get started.
I found them, but I don't know what to do with the 2nd one...

Guess I'll take your advice once I give it another go.

EDIT: I give up... Also, I think you posted the wrong times for that video, because I didn't see your level at that point.
It was hours and minutes
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Derp... Probably would've been easier for me to find if you did it like 1:00:00. Anyway, I finally made a new level (separate from the Bite-sized series):

Ground Pound the [?] Blocks!
  1. E63B-0000-0043-B5D4
  2. A Ghost House, puzzle-ish level where the title is self-explanatory. Inspiration came from a couple of the sample levels (or courses, if you prefer).
Lanturn
Went and fixed P-Switch Infiltration.
New ID: FD08-0000-0043-7BE5

Also made a Boss only version of the same course, with a Fun little Bowser Jr. fight (you can skip him though by running past him) | It gets right to the point instead of doing the long level. I'm sure you guys would prefer this instead.
P-Switch Battles: 341E-0000-0043-CA66

Will play your course shortly Blazevoir!

Edit: that was pretty fun. For some reason i feel like the reset doors were meant to be trolls XD
Green Platinum

Blazevoir wrote:

Ground Pound the [?] Blocks!
  1. E63B-0000-0043-B5D4
  2. A Ghost House, puzzle-ish level where the title is self-explanatory. Inspiration came from a couple of the sample levels (or courses, if you prefer).
Good map, the last puzzle took me longer than I expected. Sadly only vine blocks reset through doors, so the reset doors are useless. theres also the occasional despawn problem.

I needed a break from my planned MMM level
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Yeah... Someone pointed that out, so I took it down for the time being. I'll post the revised version later.

Also, where was the despawn problem taking place at? If you mean in the main area, that's intentional.
Green Platinum
In the last puzzle, if you drop the far left spring and run to the far right it can despawn but it is largely unavoidable
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Ah... Right...

There's also a similar issue in the sub-area that I found. For that, the only fix I can think of at the moment is using pipes that will infinitely spawn Bob-ombs and/or Trampolines, but that takes up a bit of room (even moreso since I'll need to initially block them off first)...

I'm gonna be editing for a long while again ._.
Lanturn
Made a few edits to P-Switch Battles: 904B-0000-0044-9F27

Bowser Jr is a butt.

I also made a bob-omb puzzle myself that could be used as a checkpoint or something. Gonna incorporate it into another course down the line... probably for a long one or something :P
Green Platinum
Shoutouts to hitting an object limit and not one of those super low ones like Bowser, pipes and doors and it's not enemies either
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Spent way more time than I needed for the sub-area... Anyway, here's the revised version: 6705-0000-0049-0975
Green Platinum

Blazevoir wrote:

Spent way more time than I needed for the sub-area... Anyway, here's the revised version: 6705-0000-0049-0975
I personally preferred to old version a lot more, this one obviously favours completability over challenge. I'll still give a star.

Working on another hard map, unsure if I will upload it
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
I still have a copy of the old version. I might upload it once I can figure out what to do with the sub-area.

At any rate, a certain game has given me inspiration to try and replicate its levels as much as possible. I'm sure there are others who are already doing the same, but since Super Mario Maker doesn't have a "search by title" feature...

EDIT: Never mind... I won't be working on them right away since I need to catch up on other stuff first.
Nwolf
Woof, finally got to finish a level instead of hating 90% of all levels that pop up in the 100 Mario Challenge

A Plumber's Dilemma

F799-0000-004B-1818

NSMBU-style Underground level that uses lots of pipes - I only noticed a few minutes after the idea popped up in my head that there's similar levels in SMB3, NSMB and NSMBWii. Several sections include the possibility of going multiple paths on pipes filled with piranha plants.

Since piranha plants take an awful time to appear out of their pipes the first time all pipes with a plant in them are marked with coins.

Hope it's enjoyable, haven't made levels for quite a while. Wish there were better uses for lava...
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
I'll check it out whenever I have free time again.
Xgor
Made quite a lot of Mario maker level, and while there is some things/Tools I miss from working with Lunar Magic I still love it.

Anyways, codes.
I have made more than these but these are the highlights of the levels me and friends have made.
Check out my SMM profile if you want to see them all.

Codes
Blazing hot!
0FE9-0000-0012-2539

Castle SMB3 level based of the idea of fire, mainly the rotating fire sticks. My first well made level with Mario Maker imo.

Forgotten Ship
5545-0000-0016-A3BE

A ghost ship level that's more of an puzzle, kinda unfocused but cool concept.

Mr. Dry Bones Wild Ride
3DD9-0000-0024-2566

The ride never ends.....
A rather cruel level where you have to jump on and off of a bone raft to get to the end. If you fall down you have to run back to the start to try again. (Or restart the level)
It has 0.93% clear rate so be prepared

fish and ships
81B5-0000-0025-45C2

The most popular level uploaded to my profile!
A rather eventful level a friend made with mini bosses, ships and fishes riding clown cars.

Vineway To Heaven
ABE6-0000-0036-7E52

A level that's more vertical than horzontal. Climb, jump and bounce to Heaven!

Pirate Plants
2CC8-0000-0042-D5D1

A collab between me and the friend that made fish and ships. Focused more on a plant theme this time around.

bark boat
7CF5-0000-0047-9937

Yet another level from my friend. This time with a Chain Chomp theme.

Might post more later
OzzyOzrock
your friend does not like caps
Xgor

OzzyOzrock wrote:

your friend does not like caps
Yuuuup. I forced him to add caps to our collab level last second :P
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Nwolf wrote:

A Plumber's Dilemma

F799-0000-004B-1818

NSMBU-style Underground level that uses lots of pipes - I only noticed a few minutes after the idea popped up in my head that there's similar levels in SMB3, NSMB and NSMBWii. Several sections include the possibility of going multiple paths on pipes filled with piranha plants.

Since piranha plants take an awful time to appear out of their pipes the first time all pipes with a plant in them are marked with coins.

Hope it's enjoyable, haven't made levels for quite a while.
This almost would look like something I'd see in an actual game (any of the NSMB ones, but I suppose the older games could work, too). I say almost because... well... the winged Piranha Plants, lol.
Lanturn
Just got through the Xgor marathon as I'm dubbing it. Wild Ride took the most amount of tries but I finally managed to conquer all the levels. Great job on them :P

Edit:
Cool stage Nwolf. I liked the simple idea of ground-pounding a block to unlock the fire flower.
Xgor

Lanturn wrote:

Just got through the Xgor marathon as I'm dubbing it. Wild Ride took the most amount of tries but I finally managed to conquer all the levels. Great job on them :P
Nice job. Glad you enjoyed them.

Made a new stage. This time an automatic mario level with music. I made it possible to beat taking the lower route but that route is weird to play :P
U.N. Owen was Mario?
2bE2-0000-004F-90B0
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805618-super-mario-maker/72481056

Posting this for future reference. Might replace the link if I find a better guide.
Lanturn
I saw that link yesterday and tried to make somewhat of a go at it, but I failed miserably. Maybe I'll try again today or something.

BTW, really cool course Xgor. Wonder how many people that play Mario Maker would actually know what Touhou is :p
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Lanturn wrote:

Wonder how many people that play Mario Maker would actually know what Touhou is :p
You mean aside from us, those who like to keep saying "TOUHOU IS AN ANIME, HURR HURR", and Japanese people? lol

In all seriousness, I have no idea.

EDIT: Having issues with making an auto-music level. Piranha Plants literally keep appearing ABOVE Donut Blocks (they didn't bounce at all, otherwise I would've heard a sound) when I test the level even despite setting things up like this (from top to bottom):

Donut Block
empty space
Piranha Plant
Music Block

Am I doing something wrong?
Green Platinum
@Blazevoir not getting any problems at all with that orientation
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Why just me, then... ugh... I swear this is discouraging me from actually trying to finish making one ._.

EDIT: Herp... It was because it was placed literally one block too close from the start... *headdesk* Right then... Expect an auto-music level from me at one point.

EDIT 2: Wonder when they'll patch this:

Green Platinum
Doesn't look that problematic. It's already super easy to make levels the majority can't beat because game mechanics and with the maps panga is making etc it isn't introducing any new level of impossible for players. You can always skip too.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
So I WASN'T hearing things!

Lanturn
Made an attempt at Chocolate Island 5 from SMW. Obviously a lot of things I couldn't replicate and the level also wasn't long enough so I had to cut off a bit of platforming at the end (the block platforms that expand horizontally or vertically) I used piranha plants for the clapping charging chucks or whatever they're called and replaced dead blocks with regular blocks, and some solid blocks so you can't actually hit the spiny from below. I need something better for the fish as well maybe.. though I kinda like how the behave.

Well check it out and let me know if there's any improvements I could do. thanks o/

Chocolate Island 5: 5E29-0000-005E-4D6A
Mode: Super Mario World
A remake of Chocolate Island 5 from Super Mario World that tries its best to live up to the original.

Also made a very easy platforming level as well. Nothing special. Was hoping that this might allow Easy to have a natural Mario course lol.

Platform Basics: D179-0000-004E-CAA8
Simple platform level that I hope feels like a legitimate course.
Green Platinum
Chocolate island 5 is one of my most disliked levels from the game, recognised it instantly so thats a good thing I guess.

Your platform level is really good especially the secret placement.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Lanturn wrote:

Made an attempt at Chocolate Island 5 from SMW. Obviously a lot of things I couldn't replicate and the level also wasn't long enough so I had to cut off a bit of platforming at the end (the block platforms that expand horizontally or vertically) I used piranha plants for the clapping charging chucks or whatever they're called and replaced dead blocks with regular blocks, and some solid blocks so you can't actually hit the spiny from below. I need something better for the fish as well maybe.. though I kinda like how the behave.

Well check it out and let me know if there's any improvements I could do. thanks o/

Chocolate Island 5: 5E29-0000-005E-4D6A
A remake of Chocolate Island 5 from Super Mario World that tries its best to live up to the original.

Also made a very easy platforming level as well. Nothing special. Was hoping that this might allow Easy to have a natural Mario course lol.

Platform Basics: D179-0000-004E-CAA8
Simple platform level that I hope feels like a legitimate course.
Completed and starred both.

Not sure what I can say as far as improvements go because it's been years since I've last played SMW, but I think you captured that level pretty well. I found it hilarious you used winged enemies in place of the bubble-trapped ones XD
Green Platinum
0F8D-0000-005B-5846

http://www.twitch.tv/pangaeapanga/v/17153164
6059-0000-005E-4FB5
Probably the hardest level so far if you haven't seen it already.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Green Platinum wrote:

http://www.twitch.tv/pangaeapanga/v/17153164
6059-0000-005E-4FB5
Probably the hardest level so far if you haven't seen it already.
I saw another level of theirs featured on Nintendo Life. I actually posted it to the OP.
Mao
pangaeapanga is a pretty experienced Kaizo SMW-Hacker, so it shouldn't be too hard for them to come up with something pretty cool here as well even though the game behaves differently to SMW. I have seen some amazing stuff by them already.
Green Platinum
I am well aware I knew him long before mario maker. Plenty of rom hackers even ones from other games have made some brilliant stuff.
show more