1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Help
  4. Resolved Issues
posted
As most mania players know but have yet to speak out this issue,
the timing between long notes causes continual misses.


In the current game mechanics of osu!mania, long notes have two points of judgement (hit and release) which will count as one note. So in order to judge two positions as one, it will take the worst of the two scores.
ex 1. hit 300 and release a 200, it will be counted as a 200
ex 2. hit 300 and release miss, it will be a miss
ex 3. hit miss and release 200, it will be a miss

Problem:
Because the game waits for the release regardless of the initial hit, if the timing window is within the next note in the same lane, it will wait for the release instead of registering the next note.

Solution:
What the game needs to do to fix this issue is judge the release based on the initial hit. If the hit on the long note is registered (note is not darkened) then register a release. Otherwise, if the note is missed initially on the hit, then the game ignores the release timing so the next note can be registered regardless of how tight the spacing.

The current solution to fixing yourself is to double tap on the long note to re-register the hold, but in heavy long note patterns this is close to impossible to do without disturbing the other lanes.

Once this is fixed, the game will still score the same way but prevent continuous, uncalled for misses.



As you can see, the first and third test shows that the gap between notes is too small to register the next incoming long note.
The second test however, the gap was large enough for the timing windows to not interfere between the release and next incoming long note.

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
posted
This is weird actually. Could you post here the map that you used to try this? (If it doesn't bother you, obviously.)

Also, would be nice to add to the original post the description of that video.
posted

Trosk- wrote:

This is weird actually. Could you post here the map that you used to try this? (If it doesn't bother you, obviously.)

Also, would be nice to add to the original post the description of that video.
You can make any map like the on in the video in like 20 seconds, just find an empty difficulty or delete all the notes in edit and then play it in solo.
but I'll post description
posted
posted
The post was 5 months old and marked as resolved yet the issue still persists.
posted
Nothing got marked as resolved. Dead threads automatically get archived and moved the the resolved issues forum. Both are 5 months old. Anyway, I'm confused as balls about this (mostly due to my lack of knowledge on how mania works) so I'm holding off on marking this as confirmed/whatever.
posted
You always get at least a 50 if you make a release at some point of the whole the release timing window, no matter how you hold the long note previously (you can even have multiple releases and presses in the same note, and still get a 50).

You also get a 50 if the release timing window is over, but the player is still holding the note.

If you hit miss and release 200, it would count as a 50.

The current mechanics favor trying to recover a long note you already messed up (either by not hitting the start correctly, or accidentally releasing it too early), instead of ignoring it completely. Whether that is a good thing or not is subjective.
posted

Full Tablet wrote:

You always get at least a 50 if you make a release at some point of the whole the release timing window, no matter how you hold the long note previously (you can even have multiple releases and presses in the same note, and still get a 50).

You also get a 50 if the release timing window is over, but the player is still holding the note.

If you hit miss and release 200, it would count as a 50.

The current mechanics favor trying to recover a long note you already messed up (either by not hitting the start correctly, or accidentally releasing it too early), instead of ignoring it completely. Whether that is a good thing or not is subjective.
I don't know how its a good thing when a 50 still decreases your hp. If there was only 1 long note it would make sense because its easy to focus on that 1 note and hit it again, but any other circumstance, if there is any note played at the same time or during the long note, which in most cases there are, then resetting by pressing the missed long note again will cause more missed notes because its not something you read and no indication of whether you are holding it in the middle or holding it while being a miss (pressing much earlier than the beginning of the long note). You'll have to look at the judgement line and look at the lighting on the column which the long note is to tell whether it's registered or not which will only do more harm than good.
posted
I hope smoogipooo will have time to fix this bug.
posted
This is an old issue, reported by those two old threads. I've made a fix which restores the old LN behaviour.
posted
Ok, I guess you should try Cutting Edge and see if it's better.

BanchoBot wrote:

Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Fix incorrect LN breaks, most noticeable on "LN wall" maps. (Blaizer)


The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150727cuttingedge.
posted

Trosk- wrote:

Ok, I guess you should try Cutting Edge and see if it's better.

BanchoBot wrote:

Issue(s) in this thread have been addressed by the following changes:
  1. Fix incorrect LN breaks, most noticeable on "LN wall" maps. (Blaizer)


The changes will be applied to builds newer than b20150727cuttingedge.
Yes this definately fixed the problem, I can now see if I actually hit or missed the long note
posted
That's nice :P
Please sign in to reply.