forum

[Ask] Overcoming Mindblocks

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Silver Sky
Hi

I just got back from like 2 months hiatus and I can feel like I'm improving quickly.
But the problem is my score on old beatmaps is even worse than 4 months ago, I was unable to pass Haelequin 7K and now I've passed it with 93% acc which is somehow decent for a player like me, I mean I'm not a pro :)

All of my scores on bms conversions went up, I'm even improving alot in 4K, but I can't even touch the highscore I made on old ranked beatmaps which I played like 4-6 months ago.
I thought this is called mindblock? Correct me If I'm wrong, and I'm looking for a solution to this, thank you :D
Valedict
If you are already making steady improvements in overall reading ability and finger independence, then the likely case is that your stamina has suffered a bit from not playing all that time.

To which my recommendation for that would be to simply just keep playing, you'll build it back over time and get back into the swing of things.
spoonguy
It's probably not much of a mindblock but more of a psychological thing. If you give too much importance to beating your highscores on ranked maps your confidence will probably go down while trying to play them.
How to solve this? Well I don't know, maybe try playing these same maps with another objective other than beating your highscore, like playing on multi, or playing them in your warmup (yes, strangely enough it worked a few times for me).

In case you really do have a mindblock, try to play the map a few times on random and then play it normally again.
Mindblock is pretty much your brain memorizing your mistakes and associating it to a certain part of the song, if you play the same song in a completely different way, you'll kinda "reset" things. That doesn't always work but it's worth a try.
Topic Starter
Silver Sky
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll just try random a couple times and hope it will resolve my issue :)
Jinjin
Tfw mindblocks on koi saku mirai brackets ;_;
Bobbias

iJinjin wrote:

Tfw mindblocks on koi saku mirai brackets ;_;
Oh god, I know that feel.
Kamikaze
tfw mindblocks on shovel heaven ln jack wall
[Crz]Player
mindblocko is impossible
Topic Starter
Silver Sky

-Kamikaze- wrote:

tfw mindblocks on shovel heaven ln jack wall
me too :o
-Maus-

ATTang wrote:

mindblocko is impossible
this post
DanSparce

Silver Sky wrote:

Hi

I just got back from like 2 months hiatus and I can feel like I'm improving quickly.
But the problem is my score on old beatmaps is even worse than 4 months ago, I was unable to pass Haelequin 7K and now I've passed it with 93% acc which is somehow decent for a player like me, I mean I'm not a pro :)

All of my scores on bms conversions went up, I'm even improving alot in 4K, but I can't even touch the highscore I made on old ranked beatmaps which I played like 4-6 months ago.
I thought this is called mindblock? Correct me If I'm wrong, and I'm looking for a solution to this, thank you :D
not really a mindblock but sometimes it matters on how optimistic, how confident, or how frustrated you are (based one my experience).

Lets say you set a high score of which you are overwhelmed. Sometimes people think in their mind that they can't beat that high score anymore so when they play it, they become worse because they keep thinking that they can't, that's a factor so one good way is to lighten yourself, and say that i can do this. Usually that is what I do to keep myself going.

Sometimes it is also your frustration that matters in here. Lets say you set up a very high goal for a score but everytime, you just can't so you retry but as time pass by, you get more frustrated to yourself because as i said you can't reach the goal you set. That sometimes make you angry and impatient that it could affect your gameplay by sometimes being too excited that you press keys early so you could see the result or sometimes, you exert more force than usual in pressing the things that makes you tired faster.

So basically it is just in your mind. Learn to clear your mind, like maybe do something else for you to forget it and try again later. Hope this helps.
Topic Starter
Silver Sky

DanSparce wrote:

Silver Sky wrote:

Hi

not really a mindblock but sometimes it matters on how optimistic, how confident, or how frustrated you are (based one my experience).

Lets say you set a high score of which you are overwhelmed. Sometimes people think in their mind that they can't beat that high score anymore so when they play it, they become worse because they keep thinking that they can't, that's a factor so one good way is to lighten yourself, and say that i can do this. Usually that is what I do to keep myself going.

Sometimes it is also your frustration that matters in here. Lets say you set up a very high goal for a score but everytime, you just can't so you retry but as time pass by, you get more frustrated to yourself because as i said you can't reach the goal you set. That sometimes make you angry and impatient that it could affect your gameplay by sometimes being too excited that you press keys early so you could see the result or sometimes, you exert more force than usual in pressing the things that makes you tired faster.

So basically it is just in your mind. Learn to clear your mind, like maybe do something else for you to forget it and try again later. Hope this helps.
Ah I see, thanks for sharing :)