forum

[duplicate] Add 1/32, 1/24, 1/64 beatsnaps for o!m

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
17VA
I have a problems on o!m mapping,

It's uncomfortable to map with 1/24, 1/32 and Ai mod says it's unsnapped.

Of course, it violates rank criteria. so we can't rank beatmaps that is using 1/24+ snaps.

for examples :

Hitsugi to futago from bms -

http://puu.sh/hVLgh/e456bdc612.png

http://puu.sh/hVLjV/f3faafd8af.png

メイドと血の懐中時計 from bms (original song in Touhou) -

http://puu.sh/hVLvd/66ce43aa58.png

Those notes are following song correctly, but AI mod says "unsnapped" and unrankable.

I wanna map these songs for rank, pls add 1/24 + grids for o!m.
Ciyus Miapah
then osu std should have that snapping too please
O2MasterFX

Fort wrote:

then osu std should have that snapping too please
That would be useless... who wanna stream dat fast??
Redon
Fullerene-
The timing menu allows you to snap notes to 1/24, but placing notes only goes up to 1/16. Why the discrepancy? I don't know.

This would greatly help with mapping more complex songs (such as guitar/piano solos and IDM/breakcore) but I don't see it being useful for anything other than osu!mania.

Here's an example of a map I made that uses both a large amount of timing points along with 1/24 and 1/48 snaps https://osu.ppy.sh/s/304317
At the moment, it is impossible to properly map songs like this with the current limitations in beat snaps.
ziin
I have a legitimate need for 1/9 in standard :o

It's fully possible to map songs though I doubt it will get ranked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LdFHY0WFzs I assume you're trying to map the 1/24 piano?
abraker
Double the bpm without changing note's position then?
BeatofIke
Why would this feature be necessary? Honestly, you could just implement 1/48 beatsnap since all 1/24 and 1/32 beatsnaps will be able to snap with 1/48 anyway (just like how 1/12 and 1/16 beatsnaps is able to snap with 1/24 beatsnaps). Anyways, if this feature would to be implemented, it would be almost impossible to detect unsnapped notes and auto mod will have a hard time hitting 1/24+ beatsnap streams and multi-reverse sliders (unless there would be a ranking criteria restricting such streams and unless if AIMod would be able to detect such beatsnaps). It may case too much lag as well (my 2 cents). This is something to consider as well.

..and about 1/64 beatsnaps. I would just follow abraker's advice lol.
Topic Starter
17VA

Redon wrote:

Can you upload the maps where you think this is needed? I really doubt anything beyond 1/16 is needed/properly mapped or would even play well.
Hitsugi to futago

メイドと血の懐中時計

M-A

abraker wrote:

Double the bpm without changing note's position then?
I double bpm-ed メイドと血の懐中時計 but it still unsnapped :

http://puu.sh/hWyug/d218bbe68c.png 1/48 snaps lol

It makes triple~quad bpm to avoid snap errors, but rank with 500~ bpm is little nonsense imo.
Redon
Topic Starter
17VA
I think you don't know about LR2 and BMS , IIDX like things.

BMS is "Fully keysounded" so you can hear keysounded samples when put .wavs in the folder.

it can play music properly without mp3 file.

there's never overmap.

click the notes and see adjusted samples.

check here : http://1drv.ms/1En3LCu
Redon
Topic Starter
17VA
Those maps are official insane BMS charts (overjoy) in LR2. like ranked beatmaps in osu!.
so, those official map which is using rankings has a sense. they have a enough quality and no ghost notes.
And ogg files are just bga musics, like DjPop's mania maps.
IIDX,o2jam like keyboard game is originally "music-playing-game" not a "music-following-game".
karterfreak
I know my opinion isn't popular here, but this isn't IIDX or BMS.

The rules here are different and notes should be mapped to music. If you're going to do keysounding that still applies. Redon provided several counter-arguments that you try and shove to the side by bringing up how IIDX / BMS / LR2 have done things in the past. Not a single one of those maps that had improper snapping from those games would be ranked here.

1/32, 1/48 and 1/64 are all completely unnecessary as 1/8 already goes to 32nd notes, and 1/16 goes to 64th notes. Do you really want to try and argue that 128th notes are needed with 1/32 considering that there's very, VERY few songs that have true 128'th notes?

Also in my opinion overjoy charts are the definition of overmapping 99% of the time.

Redon wrote:

I'm all for giving mappers easier ways to chart unconventional time signatures, beat divisors and freely performed pieces like this, but I think just adding even higher divisors like 1/32 and 1/64 so you can approximate it a little more and open the gates for spam and misuse of the feature is not the way to go.
edit: quoting for emphasis
Fullerene-

Redon wrote:

I know what keysounds are, but that doesn't mean that notes that aren't consistently snapped to any rhythm suddenly make sense.
In the .bms chart format, you can manually specify the amount of divisions in each measure (up to any number), so it is literally impossible for something to be 'unsnapped'. It's not uncommon for mappers there to use high snaps like in 17VA's examples, especially in more complex charts. If you were to convert the .bms chart to an audio file and use the original chart as a map to that audio file it would still be 100% correct in terms of note placement despite having unsnapped notes according to AIMod.

I'd much rather snap more accurately instead of having to purposely map something wrong in relation to the song or screw around with different BPMs and timing points to shoehorn the notes in.

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/304317
At the moment, it is impossible to properly map songs like this with the current limitations in beat snaps.
Please tell me how you can accurately map songs of this nature within 1/16.
Redon
Evening
I honestly don't see why not, mapping accurately to a low bpm music will definitely bring in the higher snaps, a case being a huge gap when you're dealing with a snap very close to a white line, in which 1/8 1/12 1/16 will not suffice ( due to low bpm )

This

@
It may case too much lag as well

Nah i'm fine

unless you decide to put 123912712484 notes, then it will definitely lag ( similar to someone spamming 1/16s everywhere but only special people do that )

@ 937.5 BPM, the gap in between lines of 1/64s are 1ms, and 2ms at 400 + | With consideration on how much songs are in this range, the maps that are ranking will be checked thoroughly to ensure the accuracy | Hence, Aimod wouldn't have any problems with this for most songs

Adding a feature to enable/disable the checking of 1/16 + snaps to AiMod can be handy

why would anyone even have 1/64 snapping accuracy in 400 +bpm maps anyways

@ Doubling the bpm, you don't just simply double the bpm of a song, there is a set bpm for a song ( most of the time ) and doubling/halving it is unrankable

@ Notes that make sense, basically low bpm songs, you will need to use higher snaps for 80bpm stuff if you're going for accurate mapping, looking at higher bpm charts may not use this feature much as it is hard to distinguish with the mania editor playback 25% and the distortion of the music

@
I suppose you time it correctly, acknowledge that, quintuplets and septuplets aside, it contains no beat divisors higher than 1/12 and recognize that with the system the editor currently runs on, charting performances with a lot of tempo changes is a pretty tedious and thankless task.

I'm all for giving mappers easier ways to chart unconventional time signatures, beat divisors and freely performed pieces like this, but I think just adding even higher divisors like 1/32 and 1/64 so you can approximate it a little more and open the gates for spam and misuse of the feature is not the way to go.
You're basically limiting the accuracy of the map and the capability that the mapper can bring into this platform. Some other editor platforms do support higher snaps, and when importing, Aimod will decide to have some fun and say everything is an error, and i honestly don't get how spam and misuse will do any harm to mappers or players ? _ ?

Personally i think 1/5 1/7 1/9 etc. prime number snaps can be added but most music doesn't really use them, wouldn't be surprised if it can be added alongside with the 1/32 1/24 1/64 ( if that's ever happening ) with an option in the options to trigger them on or off as "Alternate Snaps" so as to not disrupt the toggling/switching of beat snap divisors for the more common ones

High snaps are mostly used for the accuracy of notes and personally, i think it can also help in SV changes, I would want to have higher snaps than that of 1/16 just to have a more accurate effect ( you can snap it manually but i prefer if there's an easier way )
Bara-