forum

Where should I look for a mouse?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ChaosThief
I've been playing osu for roughly 2 years now, using purely mouse. Right now I'm at the mid 80,000s in rank and I'm beginning to run into problems with the mouse I have now, where I'm unable to do some of the higher speed streams because I'm clicking faster than the mouse button can move up.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but where should I be looking for a mouse? I'm personally used to very big mice (the one I'm using is actually feeling a little small, and it's about as big as my hand).

EDIT: Is this just a matter of experience?
Mahogany
You don't want to try using the keyboard instead of going out to buy something to help with this problem?
Topic Starter
ChaosThief
Personally I found using the keyboard less preferable. When I first tried using mouse/keyboard I lost track of where the mouse is.

I understand that keyboard could easily solve this problem, but I honestly prefer using just the mouse.
Yuudachi-kun
Then don't conplain about being stuck.
Endaris
Search this forum for something like "Mouse-only" and you'll probably find some threads about which mouse and technique to use and probably the names of some highranked-mouseplayers you can check out for reference.
uberpancake
All credit goes to nixxskate for this list

My personal recommendations for mouse only:
Roccat Pure Kone Optical/Military (Military is a little better)
Mionix Avior 7000/SK
Roccat Savu (unless you want to spin over 450spm)
Microsoft IME1.1/3.0 (make sure to overclock it)
CM Storm Spawn (if you can find it)
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Black (I personally recommend this model of DeathAdder above the others, some people think the 2013 ver. is better. Keep in mind that the buttons don't bottom out and some people don't like that.)

Mice I'm unsure about that are probably good choices:
Corsair Sabre Optical, CM Storm Alcor, Steelseries Rival (Can we trust Steelseries?), Logitech G302/303 (I guess? Shape seems weird to me), Razer Krait 4G (I think they fixed the smoothing?/Can we trust Razer?), Logitech G100S (I don't know how sturdy these buttons are), Roccat Pure Kone XTD Optical, Microsoft WMO1.1a (Mine has really stiff buttons but then again it's so old that it looks piss colored)
Side note: If your goal is to get as good as possible, learn keyboard before it's too late. If not, keep playing mouse only
Topic Starter
ChaosThief
Thank you for the help! I'll be looking into these.
ZenithPhantasm
Logitech G402. Big but lightweight mouse with a very responsive sensor.
Topic Starter
ChaosThief
Well I'm going to have fun looking through all the options I got...
Friendan
Mouse only is objectively worse, clicking messes up your aiming and position. Seriously, I increased however many fold when I started. Anyways, here is a guide by someone on /v/. I use the DeathAdder 3.5G. Just a warning, do NOT buy a big or flashy mouse. Weights are a stupid gimmick and hurt you more than help you.
ZenithPhantasm
That list of mouse tier is like from 2013. Very outdated.
FieryLight

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

That list of mouse tier is like from 2013. Very outdated.
Well, at least the "shit tier" is correct. And everything not in that tier is correctly not in that tier. The only real changes since '13 would be that 1) there are a ton of new mice that are all very viable and 2) there isn't really a "god" "demigod" "great" or "good" tier, it's all subjective (though it's definitely worth mentioning that the WMO and Intellimouse 1.1a require some trickery to get 500Hz polling)
ZenithPhantasm
A complete lack of mention of the newest line of Logitech mice, all of which feature "flawless" AND responsive sensors.
Friendan

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

A complete lack of mention of the newest line of Logitech mice, all of which feature "flawless" AND responsive sensors.
Newest line of Logitech mice?
If you're talking about the g303 that looks too flat to grip very well. The other mice looks flashy/big and clunky, so they're most likely garbage
FieryLight

Friendan wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

If you're talking about the g303 that looks too flat to grip very well. The other mice looks flashy/big and clunky, so they're most likely garbage
Don't judge a book by it's cover. The Logitech 100s, 400s, 302, 303, 402 and 502 all have near perfect tracking. Depending on how you grip your mouse, how flat it is may not matter too much.
ziin
I can attest that Logitech is awesome and will honor their 3 year warranty with little issues.

I can also attest that the mx518 and g400 have a serious issue with the cable after repeated use due to a design flaw.

The g402 is snake-oil and doesn't use a perfect sensor, but it's probably good enough for most use.

Also, your grip has a lot to do with the correct mouse to use. But really, buy an expensive mouse as you use your mouse more than almost any other part of your computer, especially on osu!. Keyboard and monitor would be the next things to buy if your actual computer is decent.
deletemyaccount

Friendan wrote:

Are you serious? The new G400 (i can't remember its actual name) is one of the best right-handed mice I have ever used; better than the commonly reccomended Razer Deathadder I see far too often.

I can't say much about the new G500 because I personally haven't tried using one but from what I heard, it's miles ahead of the previous model.

Not to mention that all of the new logitech mice have very good tracking, there really isn't anything that bad about them.
Friendan
well if you look at the chart I posted it even says that the G400 is god tier. Sorry, forgot to mention the g400
I used the G500 for a long time, and it's a gimmicky meme mouse. AKA big and clunky with "ergonomics". It also has those stupid weights
FieryLight
I think Philantropist was referring to the "new" g402 and g502. Both of which are very very good.

@ziin, the g402 uses the AM010 sensor which does have perfect tracking. Though I understand what you mean when you say it's not a perfect sensor because of it's comparatively lower max tracking speed (which it makes up for with it's gyroscope thing which really isn't acceptable imo). But still it's kind of misleading when you say it doesn't have a perfect sensor when it uses the same sensor as the g100s (mouse currently used by players like angelsim and beatrice)
Nameless

FieryLight wrote:

the g402 uses the AM010 sensor which does have perfect tracking.
I have a G402, and I can say that this is true. The mouse looks and feels quite nice in the hands, too.
lolcubes
If money isn't an issue and you don't mind a slightly shitty scrollwheel and a slightly heavy mouse, G502 is really really good.
Also, despite people bashing and hating on the old G500 (though G400S is better ofc), I can vouch that it's actually pretty good, good enough for aiming/clicking in this game at least.

Otherwise look for G100S or something similar. I wouldn't recommend steelseries and zowie mice despite their amazing sensors because the buttons have longer travel distance, which can either introduce physical input lag or higher stamina drain.
Andrea
I personally have a Logitech G400S and can confirm you that it's a pretty good mouse for playing osu!, I'd surely suggest you to take that if possible. Pretty good price and also really good for gaming in general.
Topic Starter
ChaosThief
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try to get a G400 series (I'm seeing this one as a common recommendation) some time soon.

I appreciate all the help!

For those curious, I'm using a wheel mouse optical from microsoft currently. For now I'll practice using the current mouse as I can still learn from this, but I'll try to get my hands on a new one.

I really do appreciate the help, so thank you all!
The Gambler

ChaosThief wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try to get a G400 series (I'm seeing this one as a common recommendation) some time soon.

I appreciate all the help!

For those curious, I'm using a wheel mouse optical from microsoft currently. For now I'll practice using the current mouse as I can still learn from this, but I'll try to get my hands on a new one.

I really do appreciate the help, so thank you all!
Be sure to go for the G400s, as the earlier versions of the G400 were known to have issues. Quoted from here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Topic Starter
ChaosThief
Got it, thank you!
ZenithPhantasm

ziin wrote:

The g402 is snake-oil and doesn't use a perfect sensor, but it's probably good enough for most use.
The Avago AM010 sensor is flawless
bigfeh

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

ziin wrote:

He was probably referring to the old g402, from what I understood by the other posts. I'm borderline retarded atm because of sleep deprivation so I can't really tell whether it's bullshit

as for sensors, people apparently hate the ADNS9200 but YES I HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS WITH IT. I tried actively looking for acceleration but couldn't find shit. In the name of fairness, though, as someone who plays at just under 2800CPI, I don't even get close to the perfect tracking speeds of any decent sensor. Apparently, however, I couldn't break it even when I tried to, so...

The Sensei also has the perfect shape and great switches. Go for it unless you play at 100CPI
ZenithPhantasm
Sensei has a vastly inferior sensor. Avoid at all costs.
FieryLight

bigfeh wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

He was probably referring to the old g402, from what I understood by the other posts. I'm borderline retarded atm because of sleep deprivation so I can't really tell whether it's bullshit

as for sensors, people apparently hate the ADNS9200 but YES I HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS WITH IT. I tried actively looking for acceleration but couldn't find shit. In the name of fairness, though, as someone who plays at just under 2800CPI, I don't even get close to the perfect tracking speeds of any decent sensor. Apparently, however, I couldn't break it even when I tried to, so...

The Sensei also has the perfect shape and great switches. Go for it unless you play at 100CPI
No, it's the earlier versions of the g400 (not the g402) that have a flawed sensor.

You won't notice the difference between a good sensor and a bad sensor until you've gotten used to a good sensor. However, it's not necessary to have a good sensor, plenty of people play extraordinarily well with mice that don't have "flawless" sensors. If you're very keen on finding the acceleration in your mouse with the ADNS9200 you can carefully (watching your mouse, not the monitor) move very quickly to the right and then return left several times and I assure you you'll find your cursor in a place that you wouldn't consider close enough to the original position to say that there is no acceleration. <-- try starting from the very left and move about have a screen's worth of movement to the right

None of Steelseries products have a good sensor except the Optical Rival and the Kana V2 (discontinued). But again, you don't necessarily need a good sensor to be a good mouse player
ZenithPhantasm
Every top mouse player uses a sensor with zero acceleration:
AmaiHachimitsu (3310, MLT04)
Doomsday (S3888)
Angelsim (AM010)
FunOrange (AM010, S3090)
Gokuri (S3095)
Astar (MLT04)

Oh wow there's only 5 in top 100 (Astar doesn't count cause he switched to tablet now
bigfeh

FieryLight wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

No, it's the earlier versions of the g400 (not the g402) that have a flawed sensor.

You won't notice the difference between a good sensor and a bad sensor until you've gotten used to a good sensor. However, it's not necessary to have a good sensor, plenty of people play extraordinarily well with mice that don't have "flawless" sensors. If you're very keen on finding the acceleration in your mouse with the ADNS9200 you can carefully (watching your mouse, not the monitor) move very quickly to the right and then return left several times and I assure you you'll find your cursor in a place that you wouldn't consider close enough to the original position to say that there is no acceleration. <-- try starting from the very left and move about have a screen's worth of movement to the right

None of Steelseries products have a good sensor except the Optical Rival and the Kana V2 (discontinued). But again, you don't necessarily need a good sensor to be a good mouse player
as I mentioned, I tried actively looking for acceleration doing that (using a position reference for the mouse (my mousepad has a pattern) and one for the cursor) and other methods. Even tried testing software, and the differences in the results, if any, were so negligible that they might have been even my own fault, in light of the fact that I am, most likely, not a robot and thus not completely precise.

The fact that I couldn't find it when I tried just works to further prove my point that, in my case, this sensor might as well be a perfect fucking sensor or whatever (which just happen to be that much fucking overrated - do you guys even read your posts before posting? It's starting to get tiring), because I definitely don't get anywhere near the perfect tracking speed for this sensor

Look, let me put it this way: using an absolute sensitivity calculator, I quickly find out that my play area for osu! is of 2.1082cm x 1.5748cm. Assuming I have to hit a 1/4th jump across the screen on a 200bpm map, which is probably undoable, I have to get from one circle to another in 75ms. With a bit of math, we quickly find out that I have to travel approximately 3.31999cm in 75ms, or 0.0331999m in 0.075s, which gives me a theoretical maximum speed of 0.442665333333m/s.

Even if I had to hit a 1/8th jump at that same distance, my speed would be of about 0.88m/s, which, yeah, is still probably under the perfect tracking speed for this sensor. And for any decent sensor.

So, for me, the ADNS9500 is a perfect sensor. Get the fuck over it.
The Gambler
^^The issue at hand isn't acceleration, but something to do with SROM (the software, not the sensor) which affects tracking overall. Earlier versions of the G400 were known to have this issue (up to a certain serial number) and the G400s (the S version of the mouse with the different paint job) doesn't. It simply a matter of quality control, and I've only suggested a surefire way of avoiding that issue without straying too far from the decision the OP made

He did decide on buying a G400 series mouse, right?
ZenithPhantasm
Test results say otherwise 8-)
autoteleology
What's the lightest perfect sensor mouse? Please tell me it is not anything Microsoft branded.
Noobsicle

dagambler999 wrote:

He did decide on buying a G400 series mouse, right?
hope he doesn't go for g402
the clicks are too blehdsoghsdjg for mouse only
show more