forum

I want to be a competitive player

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mporiyoki
I'm just wondering which maps you would choose in order to play at a high competitive level or how would you find them? I'm just starting again after playing casually but recently I have been picking up high interest in playing at a high level. I read many threads and stuff on improving and stuff and some just posts a couple of maps and/or they would say "Insanes (or harder) by fycho (extremely fun maps, one of my favorite mappers), Skystar's insanes/extras/whatever"
or PRACTICE or just look at the BPMs.

There are actually a lot of beatmaps and most of them are for casual plays and I assume that you can't just play any or you wont have as much benefits. It would be like as a piano player you never play classical music but instead play modern music (when it comes to piano you need to play classic music otherwise you wont gain proper technique and other benefits) . I need help for choosing maps with good structure, proper techniques and balance just like playing classical piano pieces. If you want to discuss this and help me pick the songs in game then please add me on osu and when im online you can just give me a heads up, heck if I could be a competitive player one day I'll make a full guide and credit all of you guys who help me on this journey

thank you very much :))),
Mahogany
:/

At your level I'd just be concerned about getting the basics down, man. Start worrying about specifics when you're in the top 10k.
XgenSlayer
Hmm, I wouldn't say that any specific beatmap would be considered as competitive, since (usually) any beatmap that is around your skill level should be able to raise your overall skill. However, if you are trying to improve a certain point, try going for maps that reinforce that point mainly (but are still within your range of difficulty). For example, If your comfortable speed is 160 BPM, try playing some maps that are about 165 BPM or even 170 if you feel like you're up to the challenge. The same thing can go for other aspects such as accuracy. You can look for maps that have an OD which is slightly above what's comfortable for you and you can try getting good accuracy at that specific OD.

When it comes to the specific songs/beatmaps that you need, I'll talk with you ingame for that.
B1rd
To play competitively you need to have pro skills, which means practising a lot for years. As for maps that you should play, you should play maps that are around your skill level. Download a lot of maps and play them, and when you do, take note of the star rating (difficulty) AR (approach rate) BPM, circle size etc and then you will get an idea of what you can and can't do. A good way to improve is to constantly challenge yourself to full combo maps that are slightly above your skill level. But don't exclude playing maps of a variety of difficulties that are on a much higher or lower end of this spectrum sometimes, just make sure you do your best.
Topic Starter
Mporiyoki

XgenSlayer wrote:

Hmm, I wouldn't say that any specific beatmap would be considered as competitive, since (usually) any beatmap that is around your skill level should be able to raise your overall skill. However, if you are trying to improve a certain point, try going for maps that reinforce that point mainly (but are still within your range of difficulty). For example, If your comfortable speed is 160 BPM, try playing some maps that are about 165 BPM or even 170 if you feel like you're up to the challenge. The same thing can go for other aspects such as accuracy. You can look for maps that have an OD which is slightly above what's comfortable for you and you can try getting good accuracy at that specific OD.

When it comes to the specific songs/beatmaps that you need, I'll talk with you ingame for that.
what's OD? sorry..
Mahogany
Overall Difficulty. IIRC it affects just the timing windows for clicking beats, and the difficulty of spinners, but I'm probably wrong and it affects more.
Infevo
I don't see anything wrong with targeting one's weak spots as early as possible to improve more efficiently (in case you're into torturing yourself for the improvement). I made the experience that as a player I am often limited by my weak point. Currently my fingers won't listen to me during streams the way they should. So I try playing different streaming maps with numerous different bpm settings. I prefer making my own stream maps for my favourite songs to make it more fun.

Sometimes I feel like my aim is trash. Especially when my tablet's relative position changes after I decide to make adjustments. Then I just play jumpy aim maps to quickly make up for it and getting used to the change.

Playing much helps getting better. Playing much systermatically helps even more. I wouldn't recommend to spam a small selection of certain maps with no fail mod on just for the sake of getting better. Not only is this gonna be tedious and boring after a period of time but also not as effective as one might imagine. Once you start memorizing a map it won't enforce your brain anymore to do active work. You'll just execute a number of sequences which you memorized without even challenging yourself a little.

Try playing a lot of different maps and map styles and always challenge yourself by playing slightly too hard things. I e.g. play 4 star maps with comfort and almost ease but once I step into the 4.5-5 star range and higher i really need to work for the pp. I need to stay focused each miillisecond. But this is where the game keeps being interesting for me and I know I get better this way cause I feel an improvement almost every other day.

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Overall Difficulty. IIRC it affects just the timing windows for clicking beats, and the difficulty of spinners, but I'm probably wrong and it affects more.
No, you're right.
ZenithPhantasm
Competitive+osu=Does not compute
rrtyui:pls enjoy game
HaruryuuSan
Play maps that you can actually clear and FC, improve your aim speed and accuracy, buy a tablet( not necessary to become a pro)~
GoldenWolf

I don't think you'll be competing at a high level until the next 3 years

If at all
ZenithPhantasm

GoldenWolf wrote:

I don't think you'll be competing at a high level until the next 3 years

If at all
Shot down
Yuudachi-kun
I compete against my friends list. That's all I can do.
jasian
Come back in 2-3 years. You'll be lucky to reach under rank 1000.
winber1
canadians cannot be professional
EneT
Yeah sometimes I wish I was a Unicorn

Joking aside though, probably take you years to reach competitive level
bigfeh
competitively you should go play cs:go, league or something, but not osu
Yuudachi-kun
I think progression in Osu is a lot more satisfying than in those other types of games simply because the game IS so simple and not overly complicated. You know exactly what to do to improve and the sum of your efforts manifests itself in your rank. Then you get to rank sub-1000 and try to compete but end up like Winber1.
bigfeh
Can we agree that the competitive "scene" for osu! is nearly nil? Because that's what I'm talking about

You can make competitions out of everything, from online games to who can fart the loudest - but it doesn't mean you should and most importantly it doesn't mean it's appropriate
XgenSlayer
I'm assuming that the opening poster means he wants to play at a high level, not necessarily in a competitive way. There definitely are high level players who play casually.

Kheldragar wrote:

Then you get to rank sub-1000 and try to compete but end up like Winber1.
xD
pandaBee

bigfeh wrote:

Can we agree that the competitive "scene" for osu! is nearly nil? Because that's what I'm talking about

You can make competitions out of everything, from online games to who can fart the loudest - but it doesn't mean you should and most importantly it doesn't mean it's appropriate
How in the world is it not "appropriate" to play osu competitively? What in the flipping french fries are you talking about.
bigfeh
Oh wow, so I was reading the post again and turns out that's an exact quote from a post of mine. Cool.

Still, high level != competitive play. And while we're at it, there are a lot of "pros" around that just plain suck at the games they make a living out of
pandaBee

bigfeh wrote:

Oh wow, so I was reading the post again and turns out that's an exact quote from a post of mine. Cool.

Still, high level != competitive play. And while we're at it, there are a lot of "pros" around that just plain suck at the games they make a living out of
I highly doubt that there are many high ranked players that don't at least put a little bit of a competitive aspect to this game. Striving to overcome others, to beat your friends, top people's scores, pass players in pp, etc. etc. are all a form of competition. That's hard to get away from in this game unless you're playing offline all the time.
bigfeh

pandaBee wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

How in the world is it not "appropriate" to play osu competitively? What in the flipping french fries are you talking about.
You made an inference that's just not retarded because it sounds like I might have implied so.

I didn't, and it's still wrong.

I'm saying it does not exist at the moment and the shape of the game doesn't help that.It could work, but since there's no incentive and no support for that kind of thing, I doubt it's going to get anywhere

EDIT:

pandaBee wrote:

I highly doubt that there are many high ranked players that don't at least put a little bit of a competitive aspect to this game. Striving to overcome others, to beat your friends, top people's scores, pass players in pp, etc. etc. are all a form of competition. That's hard to get away from in this game unless you're playing offline all the time.
I've said this already but I'll be more explicit this time: competition != competitive play.

because my response looked retarded because I got ninja'd
fucking ninjas are everywhere
Synpoo

winber1 wrote:

we're professional at hunting moose
bigfeh

winber1 wrote:

inb4 canadians apologise for not being professionals
cheezstik
osu is an e-sport guyz wow!!1!!1! qcup hype
Cytoskeleton
Though it'd be fun to see TSM vs CLG in osu! play
cheezstik
SKT T1 sayonara-bye
nevermore
This is the problem with players that come from other games, they think osu is a competitive so they spend all their precious time asking how to get good and shitposting in reddit instead of actually playing the game.
Yuudachi-kun

nevermore wrote:

This is the problem with players that come from other games, they think osu is a competitive so they spend all their precious time asking how to get good and shitposting in reddit instead of actually playing the game.
I guess I'd be much higher if I didn't do that. :?
silmarilen
can we please stop this bullshit about competitive/pro = money is involved?
everybody knows what is ment when you mention those words in osu! context, and if you dont you have no place in these discussions.

competitive/pro in osu context means people who are high on the rankings and trying their best to get to those top spots.

*looks at bigfeh*
Vuelo Eluko
im a competitive shitposter but im not a professional shitposter
show more