forum

General Pokémon Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

Mogsworth wrote:

I guess here we should post our friend codes, trade offers, battle requests, random rants about new developments in the franchise or even the olden days of the game, whatever the heck you're playing at the moment in the series.
I really want Shiny Pokemon for HeartGold. Any surefire ways? I got the Red Gyarados.
Zekira
surefire
shiny
You do know that outside of the Red Gyarados, these 2 words are almost like a contradiction, right?

That said, I can get a shiny for you as long as you give me a clock that has a milliseconds counter :>
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

Zekira wrote:

surefire
shiny
You do know that outside of the Red Gyarados, these 2 words are almost like a contradiction, right?

That said, I can get a shiny for you as long as you give me a clock that has a milliseconds counter :>
Muahahaha! I can always check eBay or Amazon for one of those clocks for you.
Zekira
I have one back at home, but I won't be at home until May 21 lol. Using that clock and some other methods I can get shinies 'surefire' ly.
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

Zekira wrote:

I have one back at home, but I won't be at home until May 21 lol. Using that clock and some other methods I can get shinies 'surefire' ly.
By the way, nice children's playing cards.
Mogsy
There is a surefire way, but it requires the ability to trade. And one of the other Gen 4 titles.

It's the good ol' Pokeradar trick on D/P/Pt. Look for something you want and then just use this trick. It requires patience, but oh well, it's a shiny.

I swear, we should just have a general thread for this stuff.
Loginer
And now we do.
Mogsy
Lovely.

I guess here we should post our friend codes, trade offers, battle requests, random rants about new developments in the franchise or even the olden days of the game, whatever the heck you're playing at the moment in the series.

Currently, in the middle of coming up with a new stall team for SoulSilver using various resources. Once I get a hold of my DS again, I'll post my Pearl, Platinum, and SoulSilver codes.
Zekira
It's the good ol' Pokeradar trick on D/P/Pt.
That's not surefire at all: you can only boost it up to 0.5% chance...
Mogsy

Zekira wrote:

It's the good ol' Pokeradar trick on D/P/Pt.
That's not surefire at all: you can only boost it up to 0.5% chance...
Eh, I guess I'm just lucky with it. It's still a boosted chance, though, which is better than nothing.
Azure_Kite
Well, a 1 in 200 chance is a helluva lot better than a 1 in 8192 chance.
mm201
I have no problems chaining to 40 and harvesting a crop of shinies in the same day.

It's cheap, yes, but not nearly as cheap as exploiting loopholes in the game's random number calculation. Crypto-RNG for Black & White plz, and bring back an input-time seeded component.

Call me a scrub for wanting to find my shinies without any prior knowledge of the machine state, but I prefer working for them.
Zekira
I only RNG if I really like the Pokémon. If not then I just RNG the IVs if I'm going to use them for battle
Mogsy
I don't bother with RNG abuse, probably because it goes right over my head, but I haven't spent much time dealing with it. Doing things legit feels more rewarding, anyway.

After looking into this for awhile, I've fallen head over heels for Clefable. A non-OU Pokemon with the ability to be absolutely unpredictable? It even gets Aromatherapy now. I love fucking with the enemy's head, and there are too many directions Clefable can go in.
if it's not obvious by now, I don't like using tier lists strictly sans not using Ubers; I tend to battle using what I feel like, and then using logic to make everything mesh. Double battles only, too
Zekira
It even gets Aromatherapy now
Wait what. Since HGSS? Seriously?

I should start making another Clefable then...
Mogsy

Zekira wrote:

It even gets Aromatherapy now
Wait what. Since HGSS? Seriously?

I should start making another Clefable then...
Yep, it does. Clefable definitely deserves it, too.
Zekira
It's like Blissey that went on a diet, only this time you can keep it in even Toxic'd <3 (don't get me wrong, I don't like Blissey)
mm201
I fail really badly at double battles. I sort of loosely follow tiers, but if I hate something, I won't use it. And I use a choice specs shiny Seviper in my OU team, because I'm cool like that.

I hate Blissey really bad, so this new Clefable development could prove useful...
Zekira
I fail really badly at double battles.
I could teach, but I don't want to.
Mogsy

Zekira wrote:

I fail really badly at double battles.
I could teach, but I don't want to.
I only read Smogon for the articles.

Besides, I despise the Chansey line and have been using Clefable on almost every team I've used since Gen 1. I'm happy to see this development.
Zekira

Mogsworth wrote:

I only read Smogon for the articles.
I... don't even go there anymore lol.
Topic Starter
LesterWilson
Hm...What's the chance of someone having and LOSING a pink Crobat? Because I've done it...I still can't find that Emerald Version...Oh! Does anyone have a spare Master Ball? I'm having trouble capturing Entei...>_<;
0_o
I found a shiny Misdreavus the other day.

Oh yeah, it was in the Safari Zone.

And yeah, it ran away.

Rage ensued.
Azure_Kite
So the average number of steps a user should take on their pokéwalker per day is 10000. The most I've ever managed to do so far is 8000.

I forsee cardiovascular trouble in my future.
Zekira
And to unlock every course you'll have to take 200 days of those 10000 steps. Lol.

I found a shiny Misdreavus

This is one of the most rageful events. Seriously. I've had this with a Dratini once, but I fortunately caught it...
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

Zekira wrote:

And to unlock every course you'll have to take 200 days of those 10000 steps. Lol.

I found a shiny Misdreavus

This is one of the most rageful events. Seriously. I've had this with a Dratini once, but I fortunately caught it...
What color was it?
Zekira
Fuchsia (violet? Red? red violet?) orzviously, there's no other shiny Dratini other than that
Azure_Kite
I recall finding a purple Wailmer in Ruby. Did I have any pokéballs at the time? Of course not; I was Thiefing for Heart Scales orz
NoHitter
I have never encountered a Shiny Pokemon other than that Gyrados
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

NoHItter wrote:

Did you look hard enough?
Mogsy
Recently traded my shiny Carnivine over GTS for a female Cyndaquil. I'd rather have GTS-bait than that disgusting thing.
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

Mogsworth wrote:

Recently traded my shiny Carnivine over GTS for a female Cyndaquil. I'd rather have GTS-bait than that disgusting thing.
To be honest...That was a stupid move. I'd have traded one of my two Shiny Gyarados for it.
Mogsy
Not necessarily a stupid move if I hate the thing and can only gain from my move.

Also, I feel like the contests are appealing more and more to me. A different way of approaching the game? I can dig it.
NoHitter
So this guy approached me while I was playing SS.

He challenged me to a battle.

Is it weird to suddenly get approached and asked to battle by complete strangers?

PS: He was I think over 30?
Bestelle

NoHItter wrote:

Is it weird to suddenly get approached and asked to battle by complete strangers?[/spoiler]
Isn't it technically the same thing just by going to some random Pokaymanz site and asking for friend codes to battle?
I've had some people challenge me to Mario Kart DS IRL before. Had fun with those guys.
bmin11
I encountered a shiny Houndour and you know what I mean orz
rust45

NoHItter wrote:

Besides, why would you want to get one, they aren't any different from regulars when it comes to playing.
Zekira
@NH: Not really? I think some guys over at PKMN-ph (http://www.pkmn-ph.com), including me, had experiences like that. Of course I totally owned strangers with my favorite team lol (not saying what it is).
NoHitter

rust45 wrote:

NoHItter wrote:

Besides, why would you want to get one, they aren't any different from regulars when it comes to playing.
they're rarer?
Zekira
when it comes to playing
Yeah rust45 you have to be more specific and say that the difference is nothing in-battle. 'Playing' generally refers to the entire game, lol, and thus NoHItter's answer is correct
mm201
They're pretty? Well, some are, anyway. It's also fun to use something unique that most others don't have.
Zekira
They're pretty?
Shiny Milotic ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
K2J
They're like TF2's hats! They indicate you've been around the game for a long time. Usually.
0_o

K2J wrote:

They're like TF2's hats! They indicate you've been around the game for a long time. Usually.
My brother caught a shiny Ekans within his first hour of playing SS >_>
NoHitter
Well, aren't Hats like that too in TF2...
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

0_o wrote:

K2J wrote:

My brother caught a shiny Ekans within his first hour of playing SS >_>
YOU LIE. That can't be true. I HAVE FURY AT THIS. I challenge him to a battle!
rust45

Zekira wrote:

when it comes to playing
Yeah rust45 you have to be more specific and say that the difference is nothing in-battle. 'Playing' generally refers to the entire game, lol, and thus NoHItter's answer is correct
I stand corrected, but I really don't want to make a big deal about shiny pokemon, if I saw one, sure I would try to catch it, but I wouldn't go out of my way unless I really wanted it for whatever reason.
Topic Starter
LesterWilson
Yeah rust45 you have to be more specific and say that the difference is nothing in-battle. 'Playing' generally refers to the entire game, lol, and thus NoHItter's answer is correct[/quote]
I stand corrected, but I really don't want to make a big deal about shiny pokemon, if I saw one, sure I would try to catch it, but I wouldn't go out of my way unless I really wanted it for whatever reason.[/quote]
How can you NOT want a Shiny Pokemon!?!
NoHitter

rust45 wrote:

I stand corrected, but I really don't want to make a big deal about shiny pokemon, if I saw one, sure I would try to catch it, but I wouldn't go out of my way unless I really wanted it for whatever reason.
Zekira
How can you NOT want a Shiny Pokemon!?!
If it looks ugly (Dragonite)
show more