forum

General Pokémon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
LesterWilson
Hm...What's the chance of someone having and LOSING a pink Crobat? Because I've done it...I still can't find that Emerald Version...Oh! Does anyone have a spare Master Ball? I'm having trouble capturing Entei...>_<;
0_o
I found a shiny Misdreavus the other day.

Oh yeah, it was in the Safari Zone.

And yeah, it ran away.

Rage ensued.
Azure_Kite
So the average number of steps a user should take on their pokéwalker per day is 10000. The most I've ever managed to do so far is 8000.

I forsee cardiovascular trouble in my future.
Zekira
And to unlock every course you'll have to take 200 days of those 10000 steps. Lol.

I found a shiny Misdreavus

This is one of the most rageful events. Seriously. I've had this with a Dratini once, but I fortunately caught it...
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

Zekira wrote:

And to unlock every course you'll have to take 200 days of those 10000 steps. Lol.

I found a shiny Misdreavus

This is one of the most rageful events. Seriously. I've had this with a Dratini once, but I fortunately caught it...
What color was it?
Zekira
Fuchsia (violet? Red? red violet?) orzviously, there's no other shiny Dratini other than that
Azure_Kite
I recall finding a purple Wailmer in Ruby. Did I have any pokéballs at the time? Of course not; I was Thiefing for Heart Scales orz
NoHitter
I have never encountered a Shiny Pokemon other than that Gyrados
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

NoHItter wrote:

Did you look hard enough?
Mogsy
Recently traded my shiny Carnivine over GTS for a female Cyndaquil. I'd rather have GTS-bait than that disgusting thing.
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

Mogsworth wrote:

Recently traded my shiny Carnivine over GTS for a female Cyndaquil. I'd rather have GTS-bait than that disgusting thing.
To be honest...That was a stupid move. I'd have traded one of my two Shiny Gyarados for it.
Mogsy
Not necessarily a stupid move if I hate the thing and can only gain from my move.

Also, I feel like the contests are appealing more and more to me. A different way of approaching the game? I can dig it.
NoHitter
So this guy approached me while I was playing SS.

He challenged me to a battle.

Is it weird to suddenly get approached and asked to battle by complete strangers?

PS: He was I think over 30?
Bestelle

NoHItter wrote:

Is it weird to suddenly get approached and asked to battle by complete strangers?[/spoiler]
Isn't it technically the same thing just by going to some random Pokaymanz site and asking for friend codes to battle?
I've had some people challenge me to Mario Kart DS IRL before. Had fun with those guys.
bmin11
I encountered a shiny Houndour and you know what I mean orz
rust45

NoHItter wrote:

Besides, why would you want to get one, they aren't any different from regulars when it comes to playing.
Zekira
@NH: Not really? I think some guys over at PKMN-ph (http://www.pkmn-ph.com), including me, had experiences like that. Of course I totally owned strangers with my favorite team lol (not saying what it is).
NoHitter

rust45 wrote:

NoHItter wrote:

Besides, why would you want to get one, they aren't any different from regulars when it comes to playing.
they're rarer?
Zekira
when it comes to playing
Yeah rust45 you have to be more specific and say that the difference is nothing in-battle. 'Playing' generally refers to the entire game, lol, and thus NoHItter's answer is correct
mm201
They're pretty? Well, some are, anyway. It's also fun to use something unique that most others don't have.
Zekira
They're pretty?
Shiny Milotic ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
K2J
They're like TF2's hats! They indicate you've been around the game for a long time. Usually.
0_o

K2J wrote:

They're like TF2's hats! They indicate you've been around the game for a long time. Usually.
My brother caught a shiny Ekans within his first hour of playing SS >_>
NoHitter
Well, aren't Hats like that too in TF2...
Topic Starter
LesterWilson

0_o wrote:

K2J wrote:

My brother caught a shiny Ekans within his first hour of playing SS >_>
YOU LIE. That can't be true. I HAVE FURY AT THIS. I challenge him to a battle!
rust45

Zekira wrote:

when it comes to playing
Yeah rust45 you have to be more specific and say that the difference is nothing in-battle. 'Playing' generally refers to the entire game, lol, and thus NoHItter's answer is correct
I stand corrected, but I really don't want to make a big deal about shiny pokemon, if I saw one, sure I would try to catch it, but I wouldn't go out of my way unless I really wanted it for whatever reason.
Topic Starter
LesterWilson
Yeah rust45 you have to be more specific and say that the difference is nothing in-battle. 'Playing' generally refers to the entire game, lol, and thus NoHItter's answer is correct[/quote]
I stand corrected, but I really don't want to make a big deal about shiny pokemon, if I saw one, sure I would try to catch it, but I wouldn't go out of my way unless I really wanted it for whatever reason.[/quote]
How can you NOT want a Shiny Pokemon!?!
NoHitter

rust45 wrote:

I stand corrected, but I really don't want to make a big deal about shiny pokemon, if I saw one, sure I would try to catch it, but I wouldn't go out of my way unless I really wanted it for whatever reason.
Zekira
How can you NOT want a Shiny Pokemon!?!
If it looks ugly (Dragonite)
awp
what the fuck shiny

Yesterday I repaired the dead save battery on the Pokemon Silver cartridge I got two days ago so now the story of Fagball is unfolding.

Pokemon Silver's pretty decent insofar, and the horrible writing is quite entertaining.
Azure_Kite
So I finally evolved a Tyranitar after lurking around Mt. Silver for a couple of days. Let's see how hard I fail the Elite Four now.

What.

awwwwwww.
0_o
HAI GAIZ who wants to trade me a (legitmate) Stunky? I can offer a Dragon Dancing Totodile or something else that I can get relatively easy in HeartGold :P (got one)

Name: J
ID: 0861 6105 9321

You guys add your IDs too :U
Pokebis
I've played for years and have never encountered a legit shiny in the wild (besides that Gyarados).
FML
Jinxy
Who here as actually won the lottery of at least 3 and more numbers? I get an Ultra Ball almost everyday in SoulSilver, got the double digits once.
K2J
I've won 3 digits several times and I think 4 digits once.
Xanek
Fire Starter
Use it only for all trainer/gym fights
???
Profit
=========================
Missingo Rare Candy Hax in R/B/Y versions, level up a pokemon of choice, trade to next generation, etc etc to w/e version your on and BAM instant win
Azure_Kite

Xanek wrote:

Fire Starter
???
Profit
=========================
Missingo Rare Candy Hax in R/B/Y versions, level up a pokemon of choice, trade to next generation, etc etc to w/e version your on and BAM instant win

With this method you can only get pokémon like this up to generation II. AFAIK There's no way to get a pokémon from GenII to a Gen III Game.
Jinxy

Xanek wrote:

Fire Starter
???
Profit
Actually did that on my first pokemon game (Ruby)

Traded it over to Diamond to challange the Battle Tower, IT SUCKS.
Zekira

JInxyjem wrote:

Who here as actually won the lottery of at least 3 and more numbers?
I've gotten the six around 5-9 times.

No kidding, I have so many ID numbers in my boxes, I actually am not surprised if that actually happens. Meh, who needs Master Balls anyway if you got more than 50 of them at the moment ._. I really wish there was something better out of it...

Also, just curious to ask, who here loves using Baton Pass teams?
mm201
I've won lots of PP Ups or whatever the second prize is, but no Master Balls yet. (I have about five or so brought in from Emerald so I'm okay.) I have around 3 boxes worth of GTS mons.

I have some Baton Pass utilities, especially my Vaporeon and Espeon, but I have yet to actually build a team around it. I mainly use it to pass Substitutes along with Wish to bring one of my nearly dead sweepers (esp. Focus Sash Weavile) back in the game. I also use it to wall annoyers and pass to Gardy to set up on their ass.
NoHitter
I got 2 Masterballs.
K2J
To be honest, I have very little idea what to do with my Master Ball. I haven't bothered getting Heatran, Regigigas, or Giratina in Diamond yet due to lack of caring (and not having the 3 Regis), but if I manage to get Arceus I'll just get Giratina from HeartGold instead.
crystalsuicune
Huh...after all these..years?..playing pokemans,I've got only two shinies.
That red Gyarados,and a shiny Zigzagoon on Sapphire.

And my friends get boxes of shinies via the pokeradar.Derp.
Zekira
Sorry for a bit necrobump...

...but I just have to rage at something:

Salamence: UBER. WHAT.

RAAAAAAAEG

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/salamence

TOTAL SHIT. SMOGONITES WERE FUCKING DRUNK WHEN THEY DID THIS, I SWEAR!
NoHitter
Broken link

Edit: Damn my internet...
Mogsy
It's fully understandable given how fucking deadly Salamence has the potential to be.
Using Salamence in Ubers may seem odd, as it's mostly outclassed by Rayquaza. However, Salamence has one big selling point in the Ubers metagame: when paired with Rayquaza, Salamence and Rayquaza can form an effective offensive partnership that is almost impossible to counter! This strategy is not without its drawbacks though - since Salamence and Rayquaza have the same typing, this means that your team will have at least two Rock-, Ice- and Dragon-type weaknesses. Due to this fact, Salamence can not just be thrown in any team, it should be paired with Rayquaza and have a team centered around covering their drawbacks.

Even though Salamence is mostly outclassed by Rayquaza, do not let this fool you into thinking that it is not a threat. Salamence is still very capable of tearing its opponents to shreds in the Ubers metagame, whether its with its Dragon Dance set or its mixed set. Overall, Salamence is an unorthodox yet deadly Pokémon in Ubers.
Or is it against your code to read?
Zekira
I know how usable it is in ubers, I give you that, but that's not what I'm complaining about (I have a Salamence in my ubers team btw). What I'm complaining is that now we can't use Salamence in OU. To give a more parallel example, Scizor and Salamence today can basically do the same thing in OU, but Scizor performs far better than Salamence in Ubers (IMO), due to being more independent whereas Salamence's power is greatly reduced in Ubers if one didn't use Rayquaza.

It's not like Salamence breaks the game and is completely unstoppable, unlike Garhcomp. Tyranitar, Gyarados, Scizor, and I think even Lucario can pretty much do the same things that Salamence can do in OU: play around with prediction, boost stats, go special sets (Lucario and Tyranitar), mixed sets (Lucario and Tyranitar), create a huge freaking dent in the opponents' teams, and still fend off a lot of attacks aimed at it, which then results to usually forcing the opponent to switch.

With my 5 year experience of competitive battling, I don't really understand why Salamence is now restricted from OU play. I can't even find a discussion about it anywhere either, just the votation thread (which was done by like, almost 10 people).
awp
Banning x from use == poor balance issues == poor design == poor testing

I gotta admit though I've been having plenty of fun playing Pokemon Silver - far more than I was expecting. It's making me wanna bust out Blue again. Especially now that I'm in the Blue region.
mm201
Smogon are on crack. Garchomp was understandable, but this?

Viable in ubers != must be banned from OU.

Mence isn't especially broken without his Rayquaza synergy, which he's not going to have in OU anyway.
Ekaru

MetalMario201 wrote:

Smogon are on crack. Garchomp was understandable, but this?

Viable in ubers != must be banned from OU.

Mence isn't especially broken without his Rayquaza synergy, which he's not going to have in OU anyway.
Luckily for us, his viability in Ubers had nothing to do with the banning. What a bunch of players thought was the best move had more to do with it.

Basically they played in a suspect ladder that was OU without Salamence for a few months. Then they had the most qualified people vote on it. The majority of the voters found the suspect ladder funner and more diverse than the current metagame so she got the boot.

They did mostly the same thing with Garchomp, but they were less selective in the voters. Anyone who fulfilled a simple requirement were qualified to vote. Slight margin wins, she got the boot.

I personally find the whole process just plain crazy. I don't think any more kicks are going to happen though, no other Pokemon are considered as dominating of a sweeper as Garchomp and Salamence were.
Zekira
no other Pokemon are considered as dominating of a sweeper as Garchomp and Salamence were.
Dragonite and Tyranitar become too not-well known as DD sweepers themselves :< Even though they can take Ice Beam/HP Fighting and still pull off a second Dragon Dance anyday.

The voting thread for Salamence's tier was like... voted by only 7 people. 1% of the battling community's population is more than 7 people >_> what the hell smogon