forum

Beat Hazard - Bullet Hell Rhythm Hybrid Game

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nachy

The Game
So yeah, basically, you're a ship in space battling waves of other ships, asteroids, junk, and etc. The environment forms itself around your music. So if you have a really intense fast paced music, expect harder hazards like bigger and plentiful asteroids, stronger and faster enemy fleets and larger & more difficult boss battles. But also expect yourself to have a stronger and faster rapid firing projectile as well. There are powerups that you can pick up from destroyed enemies and junks, such as volume increases, weapon enhancers, and score multipliers. You could view it as a mix between Audiosurf, Geometry Wars, Asteroids, Touhou and Bullet Candy. And those blinking lights doctors use to test you for epilepsy.

You have your entire music folder at your disposal to play, rank up, get high scores and earn achievements. Try beating your entire album collection or osu! folder!

Hold on Seizure Warning
Yes. Do NOT play this game if you have a history with epilepsy. I'm not kidding. Consult your doctor before playing this game.

Cool! Where can I get it?
Currently, as far as I know, it's on Steam and Xbox Live Arcade. The developers are apparently planning to bring it to the PlayStation Network as well.
Beat Hazard on Steam

How much?
Ten dollars. (May become even cheaper or more expensive, based on sales.)

Videos and Screenshots

Videos

Screenshots

Mogsy
I just got this, and it's quite fun. Difficult for me, since I suck at SHMUPs, but I had loads of fun with it. The only reason I stopped playing was to get some damn work done.
Triplicity
Hey, this is currently on sale on Steam for $7.50 as opposed to the regular $10. It won't necessarily make someone who wasn't interested in the first place pick it up, but a discount's a discount.
Mashley
Holy shit this looks amazing... want want want want want!
Remco32
A playabe demo of this game would be really nice...
Zekira
Now if only I had something in which I can play this with...

I wanna see how much hell this song will give out: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/14151 http://osu.ppy.sh/s/9917
NotShinta
This sounds great. Shame I have like no money
Azure_Kite
Those bullets~~~~

This might mean I actually install steam to get something.
Ph0X

NachoPiggy wrote:

The Game
Reminds me of Geometry Wars which I love.
Also, online coop<3

EDIT: WTF, steam removed "online coop" icon from it?
Gay. This game sucks.

EDIT2: Demo on steam.
Just like I predicted, not worth 8$
Very cheaply made. No options, sound is loud in menu and goes down, gameplay is meh.
Seizure: The Game. Oh and, only way it could of been slightly fun is if you could have played with a friend, but nop.
0_o
This game has been taking up much of my valuable osu! time :U
NoHitter
I have it too.

My eyes hurt :(
bmin11
I guess this is the closest form of touhosu?
I still don't really get how rythem is involved. Cool looking game though :P
Triplicity

bmin11 wrote:

I guess this is the closest form of touhosu?
I still don't really get how rythem is involved. Cool looking game though :P
Yeah, exactly. It's not really much of a rhythm game, despite how much it relies on the music. (Getting to a quiet part/fade out of a song->weapon reduced to pea shooter->FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU >:( )
Also, a lot of the songs one would play in osu! don't really make for good Beat Hazard stages like they would Audiosurf stages.
Mogsy
I actually found this game to be worth the money. Mostly because unexpectedly, a lot of my songs are good on Beat Hazard. Especially stuff by Diablo Swing Orchestra and Blind Stare.
Doomsday
goddamnit

Got past the slow part in the middle, where you end up fighting 3 bosses in a row with a peashooter, Then I was doing so well, and then I fucking crashed into a fast moving asteroid. FFFFFFFF. (On hardcore btw.)
Mashley
Got it today.Sure, the gameplay doesn't sync much to the music but the strobes and such are enough for it to be engaging. Quite surprised it runs on my computer, to be honest.
Anyone got good suggestions for songs to try? Personally I'd suggest Muse, though that's not exactly just for Beat Hazard.

Doomsday93 wrote:

3 bosses in a row with a peashooter
asbfjwebhgis I hate it when my gun goes like that! >_<
0_o

Agent Spin Here wrote:

Anyone got good suggestions for songs to try?
Tigerlily was sexy to play
awp
been interested to hear how Anal Cunt plays if there was gameplay-music interaction
rust45
I have some good songs in mind that I think would be fun to play, but I won't be able to run it on my computer. Does anyone know when it's coming out on PSN?
Ephemeral
fucking rapes your eyes even on easiest setting

it is literally strobe, the game
show more