forum

[Rule Clarification] NSFW Imagery

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani

So there's really no guidelines for what NSFW counts as, and I've seen variance throughout every modder.

I'd like to get some guideline as to what certain aspects cannot be included in a map's background/video.

Anything explicit is automatically out, but then we go into stuff that would be marked "questionable" and even some "safe" stuff on most image sites.

For instance, let's look at this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/235274

Can this be considered NSFW? There's nothing explicit about the image, absolutely nothing is shown about the women's special happy parts except that they have breasts (which is like let's censor all women that have breasts like srs). Some people say it is, some people say it isn't.

The biggest map I've experienced this with was stuff like this: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/113254

I've had talks with Ephemeral and a bunch of other BATs at the time, but there seems to be no consistency in what qualifies an image as unsafe for the game.

So we should probably clarify that at some point.
[Superstar]_old
I seriously don't understand how for example girls in swimsuits can be considered NSFW. Visit pool or turn on TV and you see the same lol.
Lach
Here's another recent case of supposed "NSFW" imagery causing an unrank, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/203784

The current version has some scribbles, but I'll provide the image here for discussion sake.

To be quite honest, the term not safe for work implies that ANY of the content on this game is safe for work. I wouldn't even display the christmas menu backgrounds at work, let alone any of the map backgrounds, but that's not the point. The line has to be drawn somewhere, but where? Is it going to get to the point where any image showing skin (regardless of the location) will be considered not safe for work? As long as there's clothing, and nothing is displayed in a sexually suggestive manner, there should be no problem (Hint, the bg on TKS' map isn't sexually suggestive)
xxdeathx
How the hell did No Dap get this ranked https://osu.ppy.sh/s/189178 while Guy had to change this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/143340

And don't forget most eroge videos are kept even if they have a couple ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) scenes..

Some solid limits could be defined for sure lol. Personally I thought a 12+/15+/18+ warning for the BG, video, or lyrics would suffice and we need not worry too much about forbidding actual content outside of explicit things.
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
if you wanna get super technical, those were ranked before the QAT/BAT system was enacted.

But are we just making it a rule that beach scenes are unrankable or?
Tari
To be honest, I thought this was common sense.
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
Well it generally goes off common sense. Like, if something is sexually suggestive, it's bye bye

But the issue is that stuff that ISN'T neccesarily suggestive is being censored, and that's totally fine, but there NEEDS to be some standards to it.

I'm not gonna fight for anime titties, but I'm gonna fight for the right to know if my anime titties are rankable or not.
Lust
There has to be a distinguished boundary between images that are overtly sexualized and those that celebrate the beauty of the body. There are images that are obviously looking to raise masts but there are ones out there that let the masts appreciate the ocean view (did that even make sense I'm high).

IMO a huge chunk of the playerbase has seen what an anime titty or two looks like, I think its fair enough to allow certain things to some degree. Lach states it pretty well - as long as theres clothing that covers what needs to be covered and the image isn't too sexual in any manner it should be fine.
Kaguya Hourain
Yo I'd love a clarification as well and a steady rule for what is allowed and what is not.

Though this topic could go on forever based on subjective views it would be nice to have a range we can safely work with, cuz, well, I have seen some bongerz unranks and some bongerz BGs that have passed the qualifications.
- Marco -
Well... Costumes like bikini should be fine, naked shouldn't
BeatofIke

marcostudios wrote:

Well... Costumes like bikini should be fine, naked shouldn't
Basically....unless if the bikini (or pantsu) is too skimpy that it barely covers any parts.
About nudity, this map should probably be the gap.
xxdeathx

CDFA wrote:

I'm not gonna fight for anime titties, but I'm gonna fight for the right to know if my anime titties are rankable or not.
That was beautiful

Lust wrote:

There has to be a distinguished boundary between images that are overtly sexualized and those that celebrate the beauty of the body. There are images that are obviously looking to raise masts but there are ones out there that let the masts appreciate the ocean view (did that even make sense I'm high).

IMO a huge chunk of the playerbase has seen what an anime titty or two looks like, I think its fair enough to allow certain things to some degree. Lach states it pretty well - as long as theres clothing that covers what needs to be covered and the image isn't too sexual in any manner it should be fine.
Well the thing is you can't deny that drawing anime girls in bikinis was intended to be anything but sexual...
players decide what maps to download, and therefore decides whether a map is nsfw or not
how, you ask? that tiny map preview in their listing page, it's tiny but it works so it works
if it is nsfw and they still wanted to play the map they could just dim the bg or simply replace it

all the mappers need to do is to provide a somewhat matching background, are they? if it turned out to be nsfw but it matches, why not?
oh and the rest is pretty much common sense actually
Garven
The sad thing is that most of the maps with the scantily-clad drawn girls probably have a much better option available to use - why people fight so hard against a more suitable alternative boggles the mind.

In general, as described before - sexual suggestiveness is out. Some of the more questionable ones like the "chance" cleavage shots are probably going to always be hit or miss as far as consistency is concerned with judgement. Again, this can be easily avoided if you simply use a more general-audience-friendly image to begin with.
verto
I don't even understand why is it such a big deal to allow CLEAVAGES and BIKINIS that you can see on the beach or as for cleavages on the streets in broad daylight even as a 5 year old walking with their mom holding each other's hands. Are we that sexually insecure? Let's just photoshop a freaking burqa on every FEMALE character (because topless males are totally fine for some reason) so we are safer than a pack of birth control pills bundled with condoms.

Also I feel like this only occurs when the breasts are somewhat big. If you censor those, censor smaller breasts too. Treat all breasts equally.
Stella

_verto_ wrote:

Also I feel like this only occurs when the breasts are somewhat big. If you censor those, censor smaller breasts too. Treat all breasts equally.
+1
Kibbleru

Stella wrote:

_verto_ wrote:

+1
this.

well osu! is a game that was intended for like 13+ i think? and u know... the government and parents and sht doesn't want sexually suggestive things. even if peppy doesn't really care about this himself, it's gotta be done.

on the other hand i really don't think there's anything wrong with the current.

it's just like pantsu = no and bikini = acceptable right?
Tidek
I dont know why BGs in some maps are not deleted yet, people complain about anime gurl in bikini, but no1 is complaining about that kind of maps https://osu.ppy.sh/s/185753 (and there is more stuff with that kind of BGs).

Anyone is checking it to keep it save from things like in above example?
Kuro

Tidek wrote:

I dont know why BGs in some maps are not deleted yet, people complain about anime gurl in bikini, but no1 is complaining about that kind of maps https://osu.ppy.sh/s/185753 (and there is more stuff with that kind of BGs).

Anyone is checking it to keep it save from things like in above example?
That's because that map isn't even ranked (and it's graved) so nobody even notices maps like those
using that as comparison isn't even a valid argument
scanter

Kibbleru wrote:

this.

well osu! is a game that was intended for like 13+ i think? and u know... the government and parents and sht doesn't want sexually suggestive things. even if peppy doesn't really care about this himself, it's gotta be done.

on the other hand i really don't think there's anything wrong with the current.

it's just like pantsu = no and bikini = acceptable right?
yeah. it doesn't matter for play. man who dislike the bg, players can just dim and do that
are you guys FOR REAL
no points are made just by talking about breast sizes and bikini shit censorship god damnit
y'all just basically going super technical on unimportant things

p/3599741
WOOB22
Why is all talking about boobs and things .-. Remeber to that gore is NSFW too
SomeLoli
Quick theres a catoon character in a bikini, someone censor it.

because the anime we all watch doesn't have fanservice of any kind does it. Nope.

nsfw is related to nudity and profanity in general. If people are going to be nazi over silly things like this then you need to delete a lot of songs as well. Of course theres no reason not to allow anything that isn't law breaking (except the illegal music ahem) and just place a warning on the beat map page...If anything the current rules should be relaxed as it's not needed.
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani

WOOB22 wrote:

Why is all talking about boobs and things .-. Remeber to that gore is NSFW too
well who the fuck puts gore in a bg like

gore is a much easier discussion. It's a lot easier to go like "HOLY SHIT IS THAT HIS LOWER INTESTINE" without much question. However, sexuality has a lot more of a gray area.
Kuro
lol gore
*ehem*
Anyway....

If watercolour got ranked with 2 nude people in the bg, then I don't see why anything else can't.... J/S bro >:

/me runs
OzzyOzrock
we can't ban boobs that's why people download the map!
gregest
we need anime boobs,boobs are love,boobs are life
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani

Kuro wrote:

lol gore
*ehem*
Anyway....

If watercolour got ranked with 2 nude people in the bg, then I don't see why anything else can't.... J/S bro >:

/me runs
Well that's an entirely different discussion altogether because that's considered artistic nudity. It's not really portrayed in a sexual sense, it's just a portrayal of the human body. It also does not show any genitalia (As artistic nudity showing genitalia would probably be shot down regardless of its meaning).

A lot of the NSFW stuff that's we're discussing now isn't neccesarily artistic, but there's debate about weather it's actually NSFW or not.
Kuro
Thank you, you gave me the answer I was hoping you'd say. However, if that is most definitely the consensus the BATs came to, something like that should have been edited into the rules.

As for this discussion....
A few of the DQ's that I've seen because of questionable BGs were mostly over small things like cleavage. However, that trend only seemed to happen when the boobs in question were larger than a B cup. I hope this doesn't lead to a silly rule that limits breast size in BGs.

Anyway....
In my opinion, any amount of cleavage should be fine unless the boobs in question are larger than anything that would be humanly possible. This also applies as long as nipples are *covered* as well.
And I use the word "covered" in a literal sense because sometimes nipples can be "seen" through clothing and that could ignite a heated debate. No, I'm not talking about see-through clothing. See-through clothing is obviously a no no in osu! because "OMG, THINK OF THE CHILDREN". I mean it could be as simple as seeing the outline of them against clothing, which should be fine. At that point, you can't really call it out because you "think" you can discern what looks to be nipples but could really be anything. You just look like a nazi at that point.

As for the other problem I see....
A bikini covers just as little skin as a bra and panties would. There's no difference so what's the problem? As long as her face doesn't give me a "come fuck me" look, it should be fine as well.

That's my 2 cents on this matter.

Off-topic: lol ozzy, word from the wise bro
Lust
After speaking to some others and gathering a few opinions, the general consensus seemed to be if you had to ask if it was NSFW, then it probably already is. So if you have any doubts over its "rankability" then its best to suggest a different background. Although my opinion remains the same (the one I posted earlier)
My Angel Kurisu

CptBlackBird wrote:

we need anime boobs,boobs are love,boobs are life

OzzyOzrock wrote:

we can't ban boobs that's why people download the map!
+∞
Ciyus Miapah
no NSFW BG in osu pls
show more