forum

[invalid] A Volumax-ish Gamemode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Yauxo
Rip'd
SPOILER
(Ive kinda asked peppy if he'd consider this if people would want it, but I didnt get any answer (yet). I wanted to post it anyway)

So, since I really like the general idea of the game and enjoyed playing it while the community lasted, I'd like to suggest a similar gamemode for osu! here. Chances are high that it probably wont happen, but oh well, eff it.

What is Volumax?

Volumax is a sidescrolling (mutlikey) rhythmgame made by Almod. Due to ... inactivity(?) by Aimod and the very small community that it had, Volumax is currently in a "break" state (read as: probably wont be developed any further).

Gameplay

You can imagine the gameplay like this: It's a Sideways-CatchTheBeat-Taiko-Mania. Kinda.

You play on a vertical line, only allowing you to move up and down on the x-Axis (-> The Judgement Line). The coloured notes move from right to left - and if a note hits the Judgement Line, you'll have to press the correct button.

Interface
Gameplay Interface (Cursor, Judgement Line, Notes)

Normal Note
There are 4 possible colourations for the Normal Notes. Red, Yellow, Green and Blue, each being coded to a different key (obviously). When playing more difficult maps, you'll also encounter multicoloured notes. These can be coloured in any way the mapcreator wants to! Red-Yellow, Red-Blue, Yellow-Blue, Yellow-Green-Blue, Red-Yellow-Green-Blue etc.

Normal Note
Multiple variations of a Normal Note

Slide Notes
Slide Notes work like Normal Notes, just that you have to hold them. Obviously. ... but wait, there's more!

You're free to set Slide Note Hitpoints/Hits/whatever you want to call them on any point in the Slide Note.
Also, Volumax allows you to play differently coloured notes on top of the Slide Note, so that you'll have to hit this while still playing the Slide Note (This is kinda comparable to Mania LN's with a Single Note one column next to it). This can be used to fancy-up Slide Note Ticks/Repeats etc.

Slide Notes
Slide Note

Slide Note + Hits

Slide Note + Normal Note

Slide Note + Normal Note + Hit

Pick Notes
The Pick Note is a colourless note that can be played by just aiming at it. No keypress is neccessary. These were mainly used for Streams.

Scoring

Volumax uses typical point scoring, them being 100/50/0 in standard. Each hit adds 1 to the combo - and I probably dont have to say what a combo does, do I?

While there's no "Overall Difficulty" like we have in osu!, Volumax takes the absolute difference between your hit and the actual hit in ms. This means that you can have a -2ms 100 point hit, or a -5ms 100 point hit. While these wouldnt affect the Map Score, they'd affect the Performance Score

Performance Score (I'll try to keep it simple)
While you play notes, you accumulate ms of how late or how early you've hit them. This allows for good SS (500ms off the perfect Performance) scores and really good SS (250ms off the perfect Performance) scores. The less, the better - the more Skill Points (PP) you'd get.

Videos

While they're not the most pretty maps, they explain the gameplay well imo.

(Note: Auto kinda freaks out when you place Normal Notes onto a Slide Note. Thats why it moves weird sometimes)

Integration into osu!

Mapping
I dont think that I'll have to say much here. You'd map just like you would in osu!Mania, just ... more from right to left.

Editor
Editor Interface

Convertions
Similar to how CtB convertions work, just with usage of the x-Axis instead of the y-Axis.

Performance Points
PP would mainly depend on the Note Density (how many notes?) and Colour Density (how many colours/variations?)

Difficulty Examples
Easy stuff
■ No colour variation (always Red, "Singletapping") or simple colour variation (DnB song -> always Red, but claps are Green)
■ No Jumps (kinda like 1.0 DS Standard)
■ Simple Slide Notes

Medium stuff
■ Simple Streams (Red, Yellow, Red, Yellow, etc.)
■ Usage of simple multicolour Notes (Red, Red, Red, Red-Yellow, etc.)
■ Small Jumps
■ Normal Notes (one colour) on Slide Notes

Hard stuff
■ Multicolour Patterns (Red, Red-Yellow, Yellow-Blue, Red etc.)
■ Jumps
■ Multicolour Notes on Slide Notes

Extreme stuff
■ Multicolour Streams (Red-Yellow, Green-Blue, Red-Yellow, Green-Blue)
■ Fullscreen Jumps
■ Very long and straining on-SlideNote Multicolour Hits

Mods
Possible Mods could be these:

■ Hidden (like osu! Standard, but only show the outline of the Slide Note): x1.06
■ HardRock (like osu! Standard, but instead of higher AR, move Judgement Line more to the right/towards the notes): x1.06
■ Doubletime/Nightcore (like osu! Standard): x1.12
■ Flashlight (kinda like a real flashlight, pointing in a cone towards the notes): x1.12

■ Easy/Halftime/Nofail etc.

■ Onecoloured (disallows multicoloured notes): x0.5
■ <insert fancy name here> (allows you to press any key for any colour (playable similar to osu! Standard)): x0.3

Things to note

Next to the notes Ive explained above, Volumax also had so called "Rhythm Notes". These were placed on top and bottom of the screen. You only had to press the correct key for them in order to be played. No aim was neccessary.
I dont think that they'd be a good addition to this gamemode, as theyre rather pointless.

Scollspeed Changes made the map stretch and clutter. This can be seen in the second video.
Not sure if this would be the way to go, but it definitely allows for some sexy looking effects!

Volumax also only allowed to use straight Slide Notes, making it almost impossible to map pretty curves.

Thats all I got for now I guess. Might add things as I think of them.
Flanster
Volumax was just another game inspired by osu! which failed to raise a proper community and interest.
Let Volumax be Volumax and osu! be osu!
Topic Starter
Yauxo

LoliFlan wrote:

Volumax was just another game inspired by osu! which failed to raise a proper community and interest.
Correct, but I still think that the idea itself isnt as bad as people think. Work a bit with it, change some things and you might actually find a great and difficult mode.

The community thing is probably mostly to the fact that Almod posted it into the forums here, obviously receiving alot of hate - It being a "clone" and running on an unstable client.
Flanster
I've tried it out, for a rhythm fanactic such as me, it was boring from the start.
Adding a gamemode is a huge task so I know the outcome of this request. Good luck anyway!
Topic Starter
Yauxo

LoliFlan wrote:

I've tried it out, for a rhythm fanactic such as me, it was boring from the start.
Adding a gamemode is a huge task so I know the outcome of this request. Good luck anyway!
Iam also only having little hope in this, but ... well, you know, you never know if you dont try. I just wanted to have this in here.
deadbeat
go play volumax then. we already have another gamemode on the way and there are more interesting idea's for gamemodes already requested. i can't see this one working well at all sorry
Luna
That game is trying too hard to do too much at once, that's why it failed.
Even as someone who actively plays all current osu! game modes, this mashup stuff doesn't seem appealing.
Topic Starter
Yauxo
30-Minute Rip
Bara-

deadbeat wrote:

go play volumax then. we already have another gamemode on the way and there are more interesting idea's for gamemodes already requested. i can't see this one working well at all sorry
Sorry for posting here, but what mode?
Touhosu?
Flanster

baraatje123 wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

Sorry for posting here, but what mode?
Touhosu?
osu!jump