forum

Improved consistency throughout the osu! client

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PhillipVH
As the title suggests, there are some minor consistency issues throughout the osu! client that I find annoying and could not be too hard to fix. The two candidates I wish to bring before you today are as follows:

1. Easy and HardRock both change the AR, OD, CS and HP of the beatmap; this change is reflected in the values in the top left corner. However, when using HalfTime or DoubleTime (both of which change the same stats, excluding CS) this change is only reflected by a small arrow next to the stats.

I would prefer it that for consistency sake, and also for the sake of not having to use the AR chart and OD chart every time I use DT or HT and want to know what I am up against, that the modified values will be displayed in the same manner as Easy and HardRock changes, and that we do away with the arrow method. This will also mean we will finally be able to see decimal AR values too :D

2. The Auto mod currently functions as follows: It is activated in the mod menu, and then plays the song for you using your current settings. You essentially see the playfield as if someone else is playing. Using Auto's sister mod, Cinema, however, you do not see hit objects. Instead, background dim is removed, and you hear the song being played with the video/storyboard/custom hitsounds packaged in the skin.

However, this mod seems to automatically disable itself after one play, regardless of whether you let it play all the way or interrupt it during play. I would prefer it if this mod mirrors the behavior of other mods, and stays activated until manually deactivated.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and sorry for the way the text between point #1 and #2 just continues, but I could not find a way to insert a line break.

-Phillip
- Marco -
4 ?

And for the Cinema thing i think it's intended
Topic Starter
PhillipVH

marcostudios wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/4 ?

And for the Cinema thing i think it's intended
Not entirely sure where you are pointing me to with that link. If you are suggesting that this should be a feature request, I beg to differ due to the fact that I am just trying to refine a feature that is already implemented. If there is a post on that page (possibly a duplicate or whatever) I have missed it.

As for the Cinema behavior being intended, I see no reason to just let it work like Auto and stay on until switched off.

-Phillip
DT-sama

PhillipVH wrote:

I would prefer it that for consistency sake, and also for the sake of not having to use the AR chart and OD chart every time I use DT or HT and want to know what I am up against, that the modified values will be displayed in the same manner as Easy and HardRock changes, and that we do away with the arrow method. This will also mean we will finally be able to see decimal AR values too :D
The problem with this is that, for example, AR7 DT isn't AR9, it's a sped up AR7. While the reaction time is the same (600ms), the animation is different (which is why AR7 DT looks different than AR9). It isn't really a problem though, AR7 DT could show up as AR9 with little to no confusion, and it's also technically correct to call it AR9.

What IS a problem, though, is that OD7 DT agrees with OD9 only for the hitwindows for 300s. You need three numbers to fully identify DT ODs (i.e., the hitwindows for 300s, 100s and 50s), OD7 would be something like OD9/10.4/11.9. People only care about the hitwindow for 300s, of course, but it still isn't exactly OD9, and this fact might be reflected in the pp system in the future, where a 1x100 on a OD7 DT map would give a higher accuracy rating than on the same map sped up with OD set to 9, because of the stricter hitwindow for 100s of the former.

And yeah, this should go in the Feature Requests subforum.
Oinari-sama
Use the Feature Request forum to make suggestions. Please do a thorough search before opening new topics though.

PhillipVH wrote:

Easy and HardRock both change the AR, OD, CS and HP of the beatmap; this change is reflected in the values in the top left corner. However, when using HalfTime or DoubleTime (both of which change the same stats, excluding CS) this change is only reflected by a small arrow next to the stats.

See t/231322. Current behaviour was derived from discussion in p/3183839.

PhillipVH wrote:

The Auto mod currently functions as follows: It is activated in the mod menu, and then plays the song for you using your current settings. You essentially see the playfield as if someone else is playing. Using Auto's sister mod, Cinema, however, you do not see hit objects. Instead, background dim is removed, and you hear the song being played with the video/storyboard/custom hitsounds packaged in the skin.

However, this mod seems to automatically disable itself after one play, regardless of whether you let it play all the way or interrupt it during play. I would prefer it if this mod mirrors the behavior of other mods, and stays activated until manually deactivated.
Cinema Mod was meant to behave like "movie theatre" and play the movie/effects for you. Its purpose is very different from Auto and it shows you things which a player normally don't have time to pay attention to (because he needs to focus on hit objects). Current behaviour (no dim etc) is intended.
Zare

Oinari-sama wrote:

PhillipVH wrote:

The Auto mod currently functions as follows: It is activated in the mod menu, and then plays the song for you using your current settings. You essentially see the playfield as if someone else is playing. Using Auto's sister mod, Cinema, however, you do not see hit objects. Instead, background dim is removed, and you hear the song being played with the video/storyboard/custom hitsounds packaged in the skin.

Cinema Mod was meant to behave like "movie theatre" and play the movie/effects for you. Its purpose is very different from Auto and it shows you things which a player normally don't have time to pay attention to (because he needs to focus on hit objects). Current behaviour (no dim etc) is intended.
Well OP didnt complain about how it works, they just said it's disabled automatically once you watched one map, which they'd like to be changed to be consistent with other mods.
diduevenread
Topic Starter
PhillipVH
@DT-sama Thanks for explaining the way this actually works, makes more sense to me now.

@Oinari-sama Thanks for linking the discussions, after reading them I understand the reasoning behind this. As for the Cinema thing, refer to @Zare's post (thanks for clearing that up <3)

I now realize the first point I made is moot, and I will move the Cinema mod behavior point to the Feature Requests form as suggested by everyone (thanks everyone.)

I apologize for any time wasted, but I have learnt something at least :oops:

Mods can lock this now, or whatever it is that happens to these kinds of topics that need to be shot in the head.

-Phillip