forum

Tutorial #1: Adding a strobe

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
I hope to write up a few tutorials to get some more initiative going with storyboarding, and get feedback on what to improve/add.

This first tutorial will introduce the idea of strobing - having a single colour background overlay that pulses to the beat of the song. It should take around 5-10 minutes to complete multiple strobe patterns throughout your beatmap.

1. To begin with, download this file and save it in your beatmap's directory. This is a pure white texture which will be strobed - you can change the design of it if you wish.
  2. Open the .osu file for your beatmap (located in the Songs directory) using notepad, or an equivalently capable text editor.
  3. Locate the [Events] section inside the .osu file
  4. Add the following single line anywhere under the events section:
    4,0,0,"white.png",0,0
    This is explaining that we want to use the white texture at a screen position of (0,0), in the background layer of storyboarding.
  5. Now we are going to add some effects for each strobe pattern we want directly underneath this line. For every separate strobe section in a song, we will be defining a loop of FADE type events, from white to transparent. Each section can have a different speed and repetition count. The basic syntax for a single loop is as follows:
    _L,<loopStartMs>,<loopCount>
    __F,<strobeType>,0,<strobeTimeMs>,1,0
    You will need to replace the four variable in <>'s as follows:
    loopStartMs: The millisecond value of when you want this strobe pattern to start strobing. You can use the editor seekbar to find the exact point you wish to use.
    loopCount: How many times you want the strobe to occur
    strobeType: 2 - slow fadeout, 0 - normal fadeout, 1 - fast fadeout
    strobeTimeMs: The length in milliseconds of a single strobe. If you want one strobe per beat, you can calculate this by calculating 60000/bpm (60000 divided by the bpm). If you want two strobes per beat, simply half this number. This should be a whole number for the time being.
  6. For each strobe pattern you want, add another _L and __F line directly underneath the last ones.
  7. You're done! Save the .osu file and reload it in the editor (Ctrl+L if you already had it open)
Reply with any questions, or anything unclear about this tutorial. Have fun :)
ALSO - I will be doing more tutorials, so if you have any requests, voice them in here!
Echo
You should write it's possible to change the colour of the texture with the _C command.
Rolled
way to add this tutorial after I manually coded 1min+ of strobing :(
Topic Starter
peppy

Rolled wrote:

way to add this tutorial after I manually coded 1min+ of strobing :(
I offered to help! You shunned me off :P.
James
I did strobes on Better Off for one hour... I guess I'm pretty slow at everything...
Topic Starter
peppy
Rolled meant he coded 1minute worth of strobing. I know it took him several hours to manually write it out without using loops :P
Echo
Couldn't Rolled have copy+pasted? Plus change the times
LimeGreenTeknii
Can you post a youtube video of what it's supposed to look like?
James
LimeGreenTeknii

James wrote:

Like this?
I don't see it... :(
James
download it and play it in editor? the hard version.
LimeGreenTeknii
No. Couldn't see it.
James
Hmmm I've reuploaded the beatmap again, you could redownload/reupdate it.
If you're going to reupdate I think you should put the white.png file in Better Off folder.
The link is on page 1 above.
LimeGreenTeknii
Cool! I see it now! 8-)
Chopperlink
You might want to add a little warning about the strobe lights to people before you use them. Those things can cause seizures.
rust45
Um, for some reason when I set the offset for the effect, it didn't go to where I set it.
Starrodkirby86
Post up the code so we can see what you might be doing wrong. ^^
rust45
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ephemeral
Oh, can I just add something here:

When doing complex strobes, make sure you remember that the timing in the loop is ZERO BASED (that is, the base ms starts at 0 and sequenced events must be timed accordingly) since I missed that pretty hard the first time around and felt like a royal idiot when I finally figured this out (even though it's stated pretty clearly in the documentation).

As an example:

L,167726,16
F,0,0,238,0.3679999,0.2680001
S,1,0,238,0.7119998,0.8239996
F,0,238,476,0.2680001,0
S,0,238,476,0.8239996,0.6159995
F,0,476,952,0
S,0,476,952,0

Life is much easier when you actually read things. 8-)
LuigiHann
Man, I love how the one and only specific tutorial here is for something that's actually a pretty bad thing to do. I leave it here because it's a good intro to the basic concepts of scripting, but please, people, use a 640x480 image of some kind instead of a pure white png which will hurt people's eyes
Nakata Yuji
I have a question. Does this still work? I haven't been able to get it to work, but it might just be me, as I just started storyboarding today.
Starrodkirby86
Yes, it still works.

How did you do the storyboard?
Nakata Yuji

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Yes, it still works.

How did you do the storyboard?
Kinda feel stupid, left the < >'s in. They're working now.
By the way, if the number you get from 60000/bpm isn't a whole number, is there anything you can do to get it more accurate, or do you have to round?
Starrodkirby86
I usually round if the ms aren't integers after dividing (Which is mostly the case when I storyboard stuff like this).

I think a long time ago I tried decimals but they didn't work out so well...I forget...It's best for you to just test it out and see if there is any difference.

I'll say this though -- I never seen a start/endtime in a decimal.
LuigiHann
Making this non-sticky because NO ONE SHOULD EVER DO THIS
rust45

LuigiHann wrote:

Making this non-sticky because NO ONE SHOULD EVER DO THIS
I disagree, when this is used well and not superfast (maybe even making the white a little transparent) it can look really good. Although yeah, in most cases it's retarded and hurts the eyes.
Sakura
yay and i made strobes in editor when i could use this simple coding =/ yay for me not noticing important tutorials on the SB section... wait yay for me not noticing a SB section
Angel-X
I got the strobes to work and all but i got a question.lets say i want an image to appear in those strobes,how can i make it so it will do that?
LuigiHann
replace "white.png" with the filename of your image.
-Napoleon-
Hmmmmm how I create a diferent strobe?(for example: some nightcore beatmap use other strobes beyond this)
ziin
there is no other strobe. A strobe is where everything gets brighter for a short amount of time, and usually repeats.

You may be thinking of a pulsation, which is even more stupid than strobing, unless you use <5% scale.

If you want to see how "some nightcore beatmap use other strobes beyond this" then open up the osb file and take a look yourself, or describe what you want to happen.
-Napoleon-
Excuse me, this is a Strobe (of the beatmap "Nightcore - Heartbeatz": http://osu.ppy.sh/s/12775)and has no pulsation look:
RandomJibberish
That's the same as the strobe in the tutorial, but using a different image (in this case a red gradient). It's generally advisable not to use a pure white image anyway, since that can get pretty bright and painful.
-Napoleon-
Good but my problem is HOW I create a diferent strobe beyond the flash for example: gradient
ziin
The only difference between the gradient strobe and the fullscreen strobe is the image which is being strobed.

If you want to make a gradient, you have to make it in an image editor first, then save that image. Osu strobes are all done the same way, the difference is the image itself.
-Napoleon-
Hmmm I need a tutorial to create the gradient strobes in video and in GIMP please.
ziin
Press "L". Use the foreground to transparent gradient.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gradient+gimp
-Napoleon-
O_O I want to kill you O_O and thanks ^^

O.o I ask the same way that you and did not show anything I wanted!