forum

[invalid] [web] A subforum for technical guides!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Nathanael
  • A subforum for what?
    A subforum for guides, specifically to technical stuffs, even temporary ones that may help other people.
    If we have collected enough, technical issues could be easier to handle.
    There should be no discussions made at this subforum (except if there will be a general discussion thread).

We already have osu!wiki and zendesk so what is the purpose of this?
    The purpose of this is to allow everyone to create guides so it won't be limited.
    Making wiki articles for temporary ones doesn't look good and zendesk help articles can only be made by some staffs.
    It's better to let everyone have a place to post guides for them to help others!

Does this include other platforms?
    We can include other platforms.

Any examples?
    Even without any example, it should be easy to imagine.
    Note: This subforum doesn't exist! (yet?)

• What if an unnecessary thread was made by someone?
    Nonsense or unnecessary threads will be deleted or moved to wasteland.

Wait, this looks like a duplicate: t/113751
    This subforum will focus on technical stuffs, not on how to improve playing.
    Additionally, I wanted to give a better explanation. :P
Bara-
t/111731 maybe?
Kind of the same
Topic Starter
Nathanael
Yes, it's kinda the same but we won't use any icon at this subforum (or just use them all).
Shivarion
Approved :)
sheela
Neat idea.
Oinari-sama
A tech guide forum is probably the only place where I see the usefulness of upvotes (eg "+1") lol

To avoid duplicates everywhere, imo it'll be good if only staff can make new topics which serves as categories while everyone is allowed to post in them.

For example instead of having different "xxx's IRC guide" out there, having a single "IRC Guide" thread will make it easier to find what you're looking for. In the thread there could be a few guides on how to setup/tweak/troubleshoot IRC by different authors (everyone's allowed to post so expect conflicting info) and users are encouraged to upvote the guide they find helpful (results displayed as "XXX people find this helpful").

Disqus is probably up for the task although I don't know what's the word/formatting limit of replies...
- Marco -
Will they be translatable? So if a user don't know english can still read the guide
Topic Starter
Nathanael
We can disallow regular users from posting on that thread. That would avoid spam and other things but they won't be able to post the guide so I assume they should post first the guide at Tech Support with a [guide] tag.

marcostudios wrote:

Will they be translatable? So if a user don't know english can still read the guide
If possible, we can let regular users to reply on threads for translations and just lock them if it's done to avoid unnecessary questions.

• Example
    First Post: English
    First Reply: Spanish
    Second Reply: Chinese
These replies will be linked to the first post just like the "Other Languages" template in osu!wiki.
Other Languages: Spanish • Chinese • German • Dutch

Or alternatively, put each language in a box. Like below.

English

Other Languages
Bara-
Jeej, you put Dutch as 5th language
If you need a Dutch translation when this exist, PM me :P
If this will be there it will hopefulle stop the flood of useless things here, like:
I don't get pp
Taiko is misaligned
My scores do not submit
My userpage shows wrong data
I lost pp after beating a score
I can't connect to chat
Constant disconnection
My tablet doesn't work
The game freezes after messing with FpS/Renderer/Resolution
The music stopped playing
Difficulties are shifted around (when sorting maps)
Etc. Etc. Etc.
Sea_Food
The idea in its basic form sounds decent, but I just have to laugh at some of the things these two moderators are saying.One says regular players shouldn't be allowed to post replies, other one says they should not be able to post threads. Only reasoning for both being that they dont feel like cleaning up the forums. There really is no reason why either of these "features" would be any more necessary on the suggested forum than any of the existing ones. If you think mods should keep order by essentially making users ask permission to post so you can think about is the post worthy of being seen, instead of just removing/hiding the useless post I dont know what to say.

Enough ranting back to the idea. I think it would be better for it to all around guides. I know that osu is not a very complicated game so there would not be much need for guides outside technical stuff, but maybe a guide for pp farming or something i dunno.

Shit I have to return to my first point after all. So obviously replies should be allowed to be made. Do you honestly think that people would make so complete guides that there possibly couldn't be anything to add, or if someone has a question about something on the guide? If there is then it should be done via replies. I know the focus on guides should be heavily on the OP, but if that is such a problem for you, how about just not scroll down after it?
Topic Starter
Nathanael

Sea_Food wrote:

Shit I have to return to my first point after all. So obviously replies should be allowed to be made. Do you honestly think that people would make so complete guides that there possibly couldn't be anything to add, or if someone has a question about something on the guide? If there is then it should be done via replies. I know the focus on guides should be heavily on the OP, but if that is such a problem for you, how about just not scroll down after it?
Looking good so I assume let people post their own translations so they can also edit it regardless of what page it is as can just link it in the main post. Additionally, if the guide is very useful and detailed, we can import it to osu!wiki along with the other languages (if there is any).
Coffee Hero
Yes if this is implemented it should disallow normal users from being able to contribute, they know nothing about this game and shouldn't be able to create guides.
Tanomoshii Nekojou
Was this already implemented? ;)
Deimos
why don't you use the wiki?

adding a subforum seems kinda redundant
Topic Starter
Nathanael

Tanomoshii Nekojou wrote:

Was this already implemented? ;)
If this was already implemented, it should be already at the Completed Requests with an [added] tag.

Deimos wrote:

why don't you use the wiki?

adding a subforum seems kinda redundant
Using osu!wiki doesn't look user friendly in my eyes.
Also, I think I have a better suggestion where the suggestions of Oinari-sama and Sea_Food are also used so I'll be marking this as invalid.
I'll be writing it soon.