forum

Poll 3: Sharing your bandwidth

posted
Total Posts

How do you feel about helping distribute maps you have downloaded?

I would share bandwidth only while osu! is open and active.
39.04%
I would be happy to share even while not playing osu! (idle at menu or systray icon).
54.82%
I am strongly against sharing my bandwidth.
6.14%
Total votes: 228
Polling ended
show more
Gabi
big support for this. just a question.

Would this allow us to share maps that aren't uploaded to osu?
Breeze
I'm happy to share, I wonder whether if would effect connect to bancho or whether it would made game lag.
Same to skyripper, school net is terrible...and most times I'm in school
So just make a option that user could choose whether share and how to share? Emm...
I was always want to support osu! But I can't transact a credit card without a stable work, I'm still a student orz
Topic Starter
peppy
It helps if you read the opening post, where all the questions you asked are already answered.
nsane
Will subscribers still be able to d/l directly or is that not going to be an option at all? Near future; any guesses as to when you'll implement this?

Also:

Peppy wrote:

Most people have limits placed on how much they can download, but not upload. There are of course some exceptions to this rule, but that is the general way things work.
Good old Comcast! Their limit is on both up and down.
Topic Starter
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Aoitenshi
SUPERB. HYPERLY. SUPPORT. THIS. LIKE. OSU'S. LOYAL. FOLLOWER. I. DON'T. CARE. IF. ANYONE. DOESN'T. AGREE. WITH . THIS. I. WANT. TO. SUPPORT. OSU!

Okay. okay, enough with that thing, i choose option 1. I don't want osu to be dying.
anonymous_old

Aoitenshi wrote:

SUPERB. HYPERLY. SUPPORT. THIS. LIKE. OSU'S. LOYAL. FOLLOWER. I. DON'T. CARE. IF. ANYONE. DOESN'T. AGREE. WITH . THIS. I. WANT. TO. SUPPORT. OSU!

Okay. okay, enough with that thing, i choose option 1. I don't want osu to be dying.
Who said it's dying?
Ekaru
Currently, no. Maybe when we change ISPs soon, but no one should be stuck trying to download at 10 kb/s (I LOVE MY UPLOAD SPEED) from this bad connection... and then have it randomly cut off mid-download. So unstable.

Mainly our internet sucks majorly right now and would frustrate any user trying to download off of me while also killing my brother in the games that he plays when he's home, and making my other brother wonder why the internet is so damn slow.

...So yeah. Maybe if/when we get a stable connection that would/could/will/maybe change.
Soaprman
Regardless of whether it's only when osu! is open or a separate application, as long as it can be turned off when needed for those of us with shitty bandwidth, I don't see how this could be anything but good.

I voted option 2.
xlcwzx
I'd like to share my bandwidth all the time when I'm connected to the internet, even when the osu! is off. So I hope the P2P program can be divided from osu! so that it can be opened all the time and won't cost the CPU too much.
Each time we start osu! the program will be started, other time we can also start and close it manually. Besides I hope the program can provide detials about "how much you've uploaded, how much you've downloaded", just like a PT site(maybe we can even use the upload amount to limit the user's download, also like a PT site).
ignorethis
I'm happy to share my bandwidth but it seems I can't donate too much compared to other people. My internet connection does suck. D:
wmfchris
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Andrea
2nd option.

I wanna help if possible ^_^
SteRRuM
2nd
Kytoxid
Kinda curious on how upload will work; will the server still act as a P2P "seeder"?
Card N'FoRcE
Actually, i can't decide between option 1 and 2.

There's something i don't uderstand about option 2: we can have an external service running to keep sharing, but has the user any power about "when" it's active?
I mean, i'm fine with both an internal (that would be opt 1, closing when osu is closed) or an external (opt 2, active even if osu is not running) solution, but i really think we should also get some way to monitor and turn this off sometimes.

As many people already stated, lots of users also run osu from places like university (i do that too, sometimes) and in those places any kind of P2P software is not allowed.

The main problem about this argument is that if too many people turn sharing off, we get lots of leechers/peers but no seeds.

So, i'd like to hear some more details before giving an answer >.<
anonymous_old

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

There's something i don't uderstand about option 2: we can have an external service running to keep sharing, but has the user any power about "when" it's active?
I mean, i'm fine with both an internal (that would be opt 1, closing when osu is closed) or an external (opt 2, active even if osu is not running) solution, but i really think we should also get some way to monitor and turn this off sometimes.
I'd imagine it'd be like a torrent client (e.g. uTorrent), with a systray icon or some web interface.

As many people already stated, lots of users also run osu from places like university (i do that too, sometimes) and in those places any kind of P2P software is not allowed.

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

The main problem about this argument is that if too many people turn sharing off, we get lots of leechers/peers but no seeds.
The current server would be the "master" seed, no?
CheeseWarlock
Loginer's on to something with the kudosu idea: a minor reward for users who seed. I support this either way, though.
anonymous_old
I like a P2P system, but less-recognized maps will be slower.
Repflez
For me it's ok to share my bandwidth (that's because my pc is on all day) but the problem is that most people runs osu in universities as some guys here stated.
cyanberryio
I wouldn't mind too much. I get every ranked map possible, so I'd be glad to share/seed sometimes. :)
Real1
awp

Real1 wrote:

Ohh ohh ohh, 1 kudosu per 100mb uploaded!!! Add that!! With a max of, say 10 kudosu per day.
kinda OP for anyone planning to seed to the limit daily. 70 free kd a week?

I don't know if kd is a suitable award, since it's often regarded as a measurement tool to contributions to modding. It'd be in the same vein as buying kudosu!.

Really, I think leaderboards would be enough for those of us who are good-hearted, but because that isn't enough, maybe every 3x GB of (upload - download) nets you a month's subscription where x is perceived value of prescription cost in terms of bandwidth usage (3 is just an example, use whatever constant or additional variable you so desire)

personally I'd be perfectly happy with a leaderboard for seeding ratio; I'd actually have a chance to top a chart ={
Real1

awp wrote:

personally I'd be perfectly happy with a leaderboard for seeding ratio; I'd actually have a chance to top a chart ={

Yeah, that's good too. <3
anonymous_old
Announcements in #osu, maybe?

awp has uploaded 10GB in maps! Thanks for your support!
awp
Also, Total Upload achievements, to encourage all the trophy hunters
Kytoxid

awp wrote:

Post count? :P
Pokebis
Use more mediafire.
awp

Pokebis wrote:

Use more mediafire.
if people did, there wouldn't be a problem

unless they are forced to do the intelligent thing, they will do the stupid thing
Derekku
I disagree with the kd reward as well, but some kind of "reward" would probably fare well. :P
ttker
I would be happy to share even while not playing osu!
Wojjan
Various countries have an internet cap. If I seed/share/whatefver all my maps then I won't be able to ever see a youtube until a gazillion years in the future. I really don't want this trouble. It's hard enough for me to get by with WGCS right now. If this gets implemented, I want a function to turn it off.
Pokebis
Just want to throw this out. If a user is distributing an audio file that may be copyrighted they could be sued. I'm pretty sure a large majority of the songs hosted here aren't licensed to be distributed here in the first place. This puts normal users on the spot for distributing copyrighted works. If one user gets heavy traffic their ISP could notice and put penalties on them and copyright owners could sue the user for distributing their works. I feel it would be best not to put the user in that much legal danger.
Skyripper

Pokebis wrote:

Just want to throw this out. If a user is distributing an audio file that may be copyrighted they could be sued. I'm pretty sure a large majority of the songs hosted here aren't licensed to be distributed here in the first place. This puts normal users on the spot for distributing copyrighted works. If one user gets heavy traffic their ISP could notice and put penalties on them and copyright owners could sue the user for distributing their works. I feel it would be best not to put the user in that much legal danger.
yeah I would disable this feature if possible (if implemented)
Lybydose

Pokebis wrote:

On that note, it would also be nice to control which songs I want to distribute and which ones I don't. Some of the songs on here carry a much higher chance of legal penalties than others.
bagnz0r

peppy wrote:

It is a fact that I can't keep providing direct downloads for beatmaps to the level I currently am. Donations/subscriptions do not cover the costs of bandwidth. For example, a one month subscription ($4) will provide around 20gb of traffic, which depending on how outgoing the user that subscribed is, may only cover 3-4 users' traffic.

In the near future there will be the introduction of a peer to peer distribution system. It will mean some changes to how beatmaps are downloaded and loaded into osu!. For the purpose of this discussion, let us assume the system works perfectly and speed of downloads will not be affected.

I want to find out how people feel about sharing their bandwidth (outgoing) and how willing they are to help ensure availability of maps. Bandwidth usage will be optimised to have no effect on gameplay, and have a setting for usage when minimised/idle.
I told you that once peppy, why won't you use my server to distribute traffic? It's based in Poland. In fact, i can't provide much...
10GB for holding maps, 150GB mo. traffic and 6Mbps per-user DL cap... But it's always something. Once I'll get enough money to upgrade my server, you could even have 80GB for maps and 600GB mo. traffic.

Besides, speaking of P2P. You mean torrent? Because, that's the only solution for me. If so, that'd be cool. :P
Randy96
Considering all the issues at hand (bandwidth limits, college/uni stuff, legal implications), you could always resort to *gulp* advertisements.
Pokebis

Randy96 wrote:

Considering all the issues at hand (bandwidth limits, college/uni stuff, legal implications), you could always resort to *gulp* advertisements.
I thought ads were a good idea from the beginning. I don't understand why peppy doesn't want them. You've got the kind of community that would click them. And those crazy otaku stores love to advertise in places like this. The computer literate people that don't want to see them won't. What's the issue?
RemmyX25

Pokebis wrote:

Randy96 wrote:

I thought ads were a good idea from the beginning. I don't understand why peppy doesn't want them. You've got the kind of community that would click them. And those crazy otaku stores love to advertise in places like this. The computer literate people that don't want to see them won't. What's the issue?
There actually are ads. You just cant see them while logged in.
Randy96
Really? Where? I logged off for a bit, but couldn't find them.
(Yeah, I disabled Adblock.)
show more