forum

Poll 3: Sharing your bandwidth

posted
Total Posts

How do you feel about helping distribute maps you have downloaded?

I would share bandwidth only while osu! is open and active.
39.04%
I would be happy to share even while not playing osu! (idle at menu or systray icon).
54.82%
I am strongly against sharing my bandwidth.
6.14%
Total votes: 228
Polling ended
Topic Starter
peppy
It is a fact that I can't keep providing direct downloads for beatmaps to the level I currently am. Donations/subscriptions do not cover the costs of bandwidth. For example, a one month subscription ($4) will provide around 20gb of traffic, which depending on how outgoing the user that subscribed is, may only cover 3-4 users' traffic.

In the near future there will be the introduction of a peer to peer distribution system. It will mean some changes to how beatmaps are downloaded and loaded into osu!. For the purpose of this discussion, let us assume the system works perfectly and speed of downloads will not be affected.

I want to find out how people feel about sharing their bandwidth (outgoing) and how willing they are to help ensure availability of maps. Bandwidth usage will be optimised to have no effect on gameplay, and have a setting for usage when minimised/idle.
gp0_old
Option 2: I am happy. It just needs proper regulation.
0_o
Would this have the potential to get me in trouble with the university since I am using ResNet? If we get caught using P2P software we could get disconnected and/or fined..
FurukawaPan
I definitely would approve of beatmap sharing while osu! is running. When I close osu! I want it to close completely. I answered the first option, but in fact, I don't mind if it shares beatmaps while I am idle with osu! open (or working on maps, or whatever). Just please, no tray icon or background services that run when osu! isn't running.

Also, there should be a throttle in the options (I.e. don't transfer any faster than x kbps) otherwise, I might get in trouble for using too much upstream bandwidth.
Ivalset
I wouldn't mind sharing my bandwidth, even while not playing...

except I would get rid of all weeaboo maps.
ztrot
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
If there's a program similar to a torrent client I could run on a Linux server, I would definitely support it.

Otherwise, no, all my bytes are belong to me. =[
Ph0X
Yea, off switch, speed limiter and bw monitor would be highly appreciated but yes, would totally seed 24/7 just like my torrents.

EDIT: I guess I could put it on my gigabit seedbox :> Though I'd have to upload all my beatmaps~
Azure_Kite
The only question I'd have about this type of system is would there be an option to set how much bandwidth osu! can use?
Topic Starter
peppy
@Azure:

peppy wrote:

Bandwidth usage will be optimised to have no effect on gameplay, and have a setting for usage when minimised/idle.
awp

Azure_Kyte wrote:

The only question I'd have about this type of system is would there be an option to set how much bandwidth osu! can use?

peppy wrote:

Bandwidth usage will be optimised to have no effect on gameplay, and have a setting for usage when minimised/idle.

I rarely even use half of my monthly bandwidth, so I'm definitely game.

One feature I'd like to request for this implementation is the ability to set a weekly/monthly distribution limit. For example, I don't want to share more than 20GB of bandwidth a month.
Derekku
Comcast has a 250GB bandwith limit a month, and I know that I don't use ANYWHERE near that, so... :)
Randy96
I'm not entirely against it, but I don't know what my bandwidth limit is, so a limiter like awp said would be nice.
Topic Starter
peppy
Most people have limits placed on how much they can download, but not upload. There are of course some exceptions to this rule, but that is the general way things work.
jianghao3124
The first option and second option What is the difference????
Randy96
Option 1 is about sharing bandwidth while osu! is open and active (i.e. playing/editing)
Option 2 is about sharing even when not using osu! (i.e. browsing the web, doing other things, etc.)
Azure_Kite

peppy wrote:

@Azure:

peppy wrote:

Then I'm all for it.
Kytoxid

0_o wrote:

Would this have the potential to get me in trouble with the university since I am using ResNet? If we get caught using P2P software we could get disconnected and/or fined..
This is also my main issue. We're not supposed to run P2P.
Topic Starter
peppy
I am still playing with the idea of allowing disabling of the system, but limiting download speed to a fixed amount as a result (likely around 32kb/s). Of course, depending on available bandwidth from those willing to share, this may not be an issue at all.
Teara
Living in South Africa, and not being able to afford the expensive non capped internet~ this will have a devastating affect, since I normally purchase a 2gb bundle each month and sometimes, if I used it to fast, a extra 1gb ( just for surfing ).

If osu starts using my bandwidth, to share beatmaps, I will be capped much faster each month and probably will be forced to stop playing all together, since my current internet options are not cheap.

We are however planning on moving in the next few months to Pretoria, one of the bigger cities that has ASDL available everywhere, with ADSL I can easily get a 5gb bundle each month ( for the same money I'm spending on 3G wireless atm ) , where top-up doesn't cost a fortune either, then this might not be such a big problem, but if we end up not moving ( since this is in the planning stages ) osu will become a expensive hobby.

In simple terms, we pay for how much we can download, not our internet speed, any South African can confirm this. :<

So yes, I have a big problem with this.

did some math

R389 = $52.64
is what I pay for my 2 GB bundle each month, without top up.

Edit

I'd really like to see a disabling function, even if its only for people who have a valid reason, I cant dream of not being able to play osu :<
show more