forum

I made a bot that recommends beatmaps. Try it!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tillerino
Not quite a month ago, I started running a bot on my account that recommends beatmaps based on your top10 plays. It is queried simply via the ingame chat like so:

I wrote about it on /r/osugame and received a lot of positive feedback. There was a bit of drama in the beginning, but the bot has been running smoothly for over two weeks now. We're up to 125,000 given recommendations at this point. A lot of players are reporting incredible gains in pp, but the recommendations can also be just fun maps to play if you don't feel like grinding.

The current recommendations are the result of a second-generation algorithm. The first-generation algorithm is still available via the command !recommend relax.

Please try the bot, use it as much as you like, and tell your friends. From what I've seen, news travel [img]very[/img] slowly in the osu! world.

Here's some places to get more information:

List of commands
FAQ - I'll be adding more as they come
Twitter for status and updates
original post on /r/osugame
[-Cloud-]
Reminds me of Osu Trainer.
Maxis

[-Cloud-] wrote:

pairing this up with osu trainer as well as just finding maps played by people my rank actually works wonders for me. osu trainer finds various maps of different styles for more specific pp, while Tillerino gives you maps more geared towards your playstyle with a wider range of pp. using both when you need to actually exposes you to a lot of different maps good for your rank.

anyway I've been using Tillerino for about a week now and i definitely recommend everyone else try it if they're looking for maps at their rank, whether you want pp or just want some challenging maps suited for how you play. The bot is so perfectly well-done and I especially like how you can do it all from ingame.
[-Cloud-]
And how you wanna improve if you only play maps you're good at? I think it's going in the wrong direction. You should fix what you are bad at and not more improve what you're already good at.

// Nvm the purpose of this bot isn't the same like the one of Osu Trainer I guess.
Topic Starter
Tillerino

[-Cloud-] wrote:

See updated FAQ. (also what Maxis said)
RaneFire
Tried 5 map recommends and even though I only FC'd one of them (with mods), it's good for anyone looking for:

Maps that you can improve your skills on.
Maps that reward you for your effort. (Not really farming, as it is just pointing you in the direction of maps worth your time. Although I guess if you only play the easy maps and ignore the others... yeah)
Maps you probably wouldn't have ever thought of playing (taste in music), or playing again (old?), or that you could play with mods (scores from when you started).
A change from the usual maps you typically tend to play. i.e. some fun.
-GN
I haven't been trying this extensively(yet), but I think it's really cool, and the beatmaps it has given me are all pretty nice. Thanks for this!
Monstrata
Can i get silenced for spam if I ask too many recommendations? Like say if i were to ask like 30~ to get a list to play?
Bauxe

monstrata wrote:

Can i get silenced for spam if I ask too many recommendations? Like say if i were to ask like 30~ to get a list to play?
If you ask for them all in like 5 seconds, yeah.
timemon
Tillerino da best
The bot is very accurate. Last week it only recommended me 3.7-4.0 now it recommends me 4.0-4.4 stars.
I have many good songs thank to this cool bot.
Mythras
amazing bot, awesome =)

I'm kinda surprised these kinds of things aren't built directly into the game to keep people focused.
Topic Starter
Tillerino

monstrata wrote:

AFAIK, this hasn't happened yet. And believe me, there are some heavy users. The bot itself is very concerned with not getting silenced. If you don't request faster than the bot answers, I couldn't imagine a reason why you would get silenced. I gotta say though, I made a very conscious decision to give one recommendation at a time instead of a list to encourage the user to consider every recommendation. Try !recommend beta for more improved recommendations if you're skipping too many of the regular ones.
Ayesha Altugle
Fahe
Trying your bot now, very nice recommendations till now, I find the mods recommendations pretty accurate as well, I can at least pass the maps with the mods advised, I think I'll keep on using it !

The first reply made me laugh though :D
Mythras
bot gave me 1000 ranks lol woo

edit: it gave me https://osu.ppy.sh/b/161787?m=0 , i was like heeellll naw, but i randomly S'd it, bot knows more about my skill level than i do
RaneFire

VioletMaid wrote:

bot knows more about my skill level than i do
Indeed. I never would have considered playing 256 bpm if it didn't tell me to.
spongypuppet
Same for me lol. I overestimate myself, trying to finish insane maps. The bot sometimes recommended insane but mostly hard ones. Can't even finish the beatmaps it gives me XD.
Sophia
Shit like this is why I trust computers and bots over human beings.
Mizuno Yui

spongypuppet wrote:

Same for me lol. I overestimate myself, trying to finish insane maps. The bot sometimes recommended insane but mostly hard ones. Can't even finish the beatmaps it gives me XD.
There's a fine line between overestimating your abilities and pushing yourself to the limits :D
Cozzzy
Really nice. I actually prefer this to osu!trainer already (which tends to give me maps I don't enjoy somehow)
show more