forum

osu! Monthly Fanart Contest #1

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Hello all! Welcome to the first Monthly Fanart Contest! Each month we'll be suggesting a different theme for artwork, and two winners will each get a full one year supporter tag. This is intended to be kind of a fun, informal contest, but we still need some rules.

To start out simple, this month's theme is:

Pippi, the osu! mascot!

Big surprise there, I know. But to make things a bit more interesting (and to rule out existing artwork), let's focus on her new costume, as in the default comboburst, as seen in the image at the top of this thread. Want to redesign it? Sure, go for it! You won't be judged on accuracy. But we've already seen plenty of art of Pippi in her classic outfit (and if you want to draw more of that, please keep doing so in the main fanart thread!) so let's see some in the style of this new look.

Rules:
  1. Artwork must be, in some way, related to the month's theme. In this case, current-costume Pippi.
  2. Everything in your image must be your own work, or something you have explicit permission to use in this contest! Don't steal anyone's art, even for backgrounds.
  3. Don't include any copyrighted characters. Including your own original characters alongside osu! characters is fine.
  4. Images must be G-rated and safe-for-work
  5. You must post a web-friendly (600px by 600px maximum) image in this thread
  6. You must ALSO link to a much larger print-friendly image (at least 1000px by 1000px, as high as possible) for possible merch use.
  7. There's no limit to the number of entries per person, but please keep all of your submissions in one forum post
  8. Deadline for entries is May 1st, 2014.
By entering, you agree to let us use your art on the osu! website, social media accounts, and merchandise. While this isn't a merch design contest per se, if we do decide to use your image on a t-shirt or other item, you will get a free one!

Only entries that follow all rules will be considered. There will be two winners each month, one chosen by public poll, and one chosen by osu! staff. Each winner will get a one-year osu! supporter tag.

Let me know if anything needs clarifying, otherwise, post away!

Edit: the contest ends soon!

LuigiHann wrote:

Everybody's been doing really well! I'm overwhelmed.

Anyway, as noted, the contest ends this week, so please have your entries in by the end of the day on May 1st.

Countdown Link

I've created a countdown to 11:59pm (Easter Time) on that date, since that is when I'll lock the thread and collect submissions. It may take a day or two after that for me to get the poll set up for voting. Good luck everyone!
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
If anybody needs a handy way to upload and share image files, I recommend puush, or perhaps http://up.ppy.sh/
deadbeat
stickied for slightly more visibility
also good luck to all entries
Ciyus Miapah
COME ON, SHOW THE SKILL 8-)
Oinari-sama
Asking for a friend: is the competition limited to digital art, or are hand drawn works accepted too?
- Yuuto -
seems interesting
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Oinari-sama wrote:

Asking for a friend: is the competition limited to digital art, or are hand drawn works accepted too?
Hand-drawn is fine but please include both a web-friendly 600px version and a high-quality scan as per the rules
Oinari-sama

LuigiHann wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

Hand-drawn is fine but please include both a web-friendly 600px version and a high-quality scan as per the rules
Thanks for the clarification!
Bweh
Alrighty.
kuzuryuuu
is the 1000x1000 measured in px or inches?
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

kuzuryuuu wrote:

is the 1000x1000 measured in px or inches?
Pixels. I've updated the post, thanks for bringing that up. That's still pretty small by print standards, so if you can save and share a bigger version, go for it
kuzuryuuu
one more thing, is there a full-body picture of new costume!pippi that we can use as a reference, or is that just a default skin thing? (i don't have the default skin enabled, so....)
Secretpipe
Can't wait to see these fanart :D
Good luck o3o
Angelo
Good luck guys ! ^w^
Elzapatoverde
Can we use osu! elements like the default circles and that kind of stuff right? if so, where can I find the main screen osu! circle in high resolution? If I take a screenshot and remove the background it wont be large enough :/

kuzuryuuu wrote:

one more thing, is there a full-body picture of new costume!pippi that we can use as a reference, or is that just a default skin thing? (i don't have the default skin enabled, so....)
Just use the contest image, you know, this one.
I think that's enough.
LittleLionMan
Good luck to everyone!
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

kuzuryuuu wrote:

Here's the full res version of that image: http://puu.sh/7V6Gm.png
I'm not sure if there's a full-body image. In my head I see her wearing sneakers, but I'm not sure if I ever saw her drawn that way or if my brain just made it up.
Dakrite

fixed again, because i suck at this

http://i.imgur.com/5zUAZjJ.jpg (highres, i think)
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

elzapatoverde wrote:

Can we use osu! elements like the default circles and that kind of stuff right? if so, where can I find the main screen osu! circle in high resolution? If I take a screenshot and remove the background it wont be large enough :/
Hitcircles and other default skin elements are fine, although if you were to redraw/recreate them that might be nicer. In any case, here's a big version of the logo: http://puu.sh/7Vag8.png

Dakrite wrote:

is it ok to have their faces here?
Photos are fine if you have permission to use them
Dakrite

LuigiHann wrote:

elzapatoverde wrote:

Hitcircles and other default skin elements are fine, although if you were to redraw/recreate them that might be nicer. In any case, here's a big version of the logo: http://puu.sh/7Vag8.png

Dakrite wrote:

is it ok to have their faces here?
Photos are fine if you have permission to use them
i will need to do it later if possible :o
show more