forum

Tips on stamina and speed?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mqwilliamscom
Okay so this question has been asked to death I'm sure. And after 1600+ hours I know the answer simply is play more. But honestly I've been at a plateau for months.

I want to improve my stamina and my speed, because frankly it's dogcrap. I've been putting in time with long stream practice maps like these and sure it's been helping a little, but it's way too boring for me to constantly follow through with it. I play this game to destress from work not to repeat drills over and over again like an athlete.

I think my style of improving relies on playing as many different maps in a skillset as possible. It's how I improved on EZ so much over time. I figure I can go into osucollector and type in terms like "speed", "finger control", but I honestly I can't find too many maps that help improve stamina without it being a boring snooze fest. Should I just add NM2 maps to my daily practice. If I have to play another long stream practice map I'm going to go ballistic.

Any banger maps you can recommend will be absolutely G U C C I and well appreciated. Thanks again y'all.
Voidedosu
To be honest, the way I found myself being able to have the stamina to play maps like Lionheart [Expert] (or even [Extreme] which I haven't got a pass yet due to aim, not stamina) was really just by playing those maps often enough.

It was a similar idea when I had to build up stamina to play metal beats on drums in Guitar Hero Metallica. When I started trying for FCs there I couldn't last more than 30 seconds on songs like dyer's Eve that are charted with a really fast 1-note to 2-note beat (Y-RY-Y-RY, with kicks on every Y). But over time as I played them more frequently I was able to go longer and longer until I had the stamina to not only play those maps to completion without stopping but play through them for hours without breaks until I could FC them. I would need to do a similar thing for foot stamina because I absolutely struggle with constant bass kicks as well, but I never got around to that.

My point is, I think what you need to do in general is just focus very heavily on the kind of stream maps you want to play. Are you looking for what would essentially be "pure" streams like Lionheart [Expert] that have very little in the way of stopping and starting? Are you looking for streams that have more pauses for sliders or the rhythm like Glory days [Maki's Extra] or Lionheart [Extra]? Those might overlap enough that you should get benefits either way, but it's still more focused than what it sounds like you usually do. Stream practice maps, IMO, might help with warmups or as a skill/accuracy check, but given that they're isolated from any actual map where you also have to worry about going into and out of the streams and might also tend to be more structured (though I personally have no proof of that), I don't think it translates very well a lot of the time outside of the two parts I mentioned.
Topic Starter
mqwilliamscom

Voidedosu wrote:

To be honest, the way I found myself being able to have the stamina to play maps like Lionheart [Expert] (or even [Extreme] which I haven't got a pass yet due to aim, not stamina) was really just by playing those maps often enough.

It was a similar idea when I had to build up stamina to play metal beats on drums in Guitar Hero Metallica. When I started trying for FCs there I couldn't last more than 30 seconds on songs like dyer's Eve that are charted with a really fast 1-note to 2-note beat (Y-RY-Y-RY, with kicks on every Y). But over time as I played them more frequently I was able to go longer and longer until I had the stamina to not only play those maps to completion without stopping but play through them for hours without breaks until I could FC them. I would need to do a similar thing for foot stamina because I absolutely struggle with constant bass kicks as well, but I never got around to that.

My point is, I think what you need to do in general is just focus very heavily on the kind of stream maps you want to play. Are you looking for what would essentially be "pure" streams like Lionheart [Expert] that have very little in the way of stopping and starting? Are you looking for streams that have more pauses for sliders or the rhythm like Glory days [Maki's Extra] or Lionheart [Extra]? Those might overlap enough that you should get benefits either way, but it's still more focused than what it sounds like you usually do. Stream practice maps, IMO, might help with warmups or as a skill/accuracy check, but given that they're isolated from any actual map where you also have to worry about going into and out of the streams and might also tend to be more structured (though I personally have no proof of that), I don't think it translates very well a lot of the time outside of the two parts I mentioned.
Hmm. Well I'd like to get good enough to be able to pass 7+* breakcore songs just cause they look really fun (easy Breezy, We Luv Lama, Tool assisted Speedcore to name a few). I have started a "tapping intensive" playlist which I'm starting to regularly dip into for warm up/fun times, so hopefully that'll help. But I think overall I just want my tapping to get better, because I've found that recently my aim has been outmatching my tapping abilities, and I just want to balance that out