forum

Uzumaki Official Trailer

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Stomiks

GOD DAMN even the trailer by itself blows every Junji Ito adaptation out of the water just by how these visuals look. With this trailer coming out, I can definitely say for sure that Junji Ito will finally get the justice he deserves and finally have an adaptation that's on par to the horror you feel when you read his manga.

The amount of work and technique put into the visuals and sound design was definitely worth the 5 years of waiting.
Patatitta
I didn't like uzumaki very much to begin with so I'm a bit mixed with the decision to make it ltierally an animated manga
Polyspora
I would've watched it if stomiks wasnt excited for it
Topic Starter
Stomiks

Patatitta wrote:

I didn't like uzumaki very much to begin with so I'm a bit mixed with the decision to make it ltierally an animated manga
That's understandable. I personally loved the illustrations from Junji Ito's works and have been always curious as to what it'd look like in motion (specifically when it's actually a good one). Most horror anime are utter garbage so getting to see a potentially great one adapted from one of the best horror manga artists definitely hypes me up.

Polyspora wrote:

bruh
Rezq Gokou
honestly I like how they execute it but personally I couldn't handle that much grotesque
Patatitta

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

That's understandable. I personally loved the illustrations from Junji Ito's works and have been always curious as to what it'd look like in motion (specifically when it's actually a good one). Most horror anime are utter garbage so getting to see a potentially great one adapted from one of the best horror manga artists definitely hypes me up.

Polyspora wrote:

bruh
I like junji ito's art, but I just when I see an adaptation, I wish for it to be more than the original illustrations, not the exact same
Rezq Gokou

Patatitta wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

bruh
I like junji ito's art, but I just when I see an adaptation, I wish for it to be more than the original illustrations, not the exact same
they still did a good job though capturing the same feeling as the original illustration, considering Junji Ito's style has a lot of details
Patatitta

Rezq Gokou wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

bruh
they still did a good job though capturing the same feeling as the original illustration, considering Junji Ito's style has a lot of details
yeah but that's the problem, they seem just happy matching what was already done, not taking it further
Topic Starter
Stomiks

Patatitta wrote:

Rezq Gokou wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

bruh
yeah but that's the problem, they seem just happy matching what was already done, not taking it further
I don't think an adaptation necessarily has to be way better than its predecessor. An adaptation is just a change one from medium to another. Sure, with a transition from manga to anime, you'll get the benefits of moving pictures and sound which you can utilize, but in no way I believe that we should hold excessive expectations from these added qualities.

I presume you'll agree that each medium has its own strength and weaknesses, so there shouldn't be a pecking order of light novel < manga < anime. An anime adaptation could never beat Junji Ito's page turn and the insane amount of detail he draws for each and every page. Instead, a sacrifice has to be made and you'll have to trade those qualities for sound and animation since studios have limited budget and time constraints.

You can't expect every anime adaptation to possess a manga's every good quality + impressive utilization of anime's own sound and animation to be the baseline or else you'll just set yourself up for failure in most cases.

TL;DR: Just translate a manga's level of quality as it as would in anime form, and it'll already be great for most audiences since animation and sound is already an upgrade.
Patatitta

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Rezq Gokou wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

bruh
I don't think an adaptation necessarily has to be way better than its predecessor. An adaptation is just a change one from medium to another. Sure, with a transition from manga to anime, you'll get the benefits of moving pictures and sound which you can utilize, but in no way I believe that we should hold excessive expectations from these added qualities.

I presume you'll agree that each medium has its own strength and weaknesses, so there shouldn't be a pecking order of light novel < manga < anime. An anime adaptation could never beat Junji Ito's page turn and the insane amount of detail he draws for each and every page. Instead, a sacrifice has to be made and you'll have to trade those qualities for sound and animation since studios have limited budget and time constraints.

You can't expect every anime adaptation to possess a manga's every good quality + impressive utilization of anime's own sound and animation to be the baseline or else you'll just set yourself up for failure in most cases.

TL;DR: Just translate a manga's level of quality as it as would in anime form, and it'll already be great for most audiences since animation and sound is already an upgrade.
yeah I get that, but it's just, it doesn't seem ambitious at all?, in order to actually make a proper adaptation you must take into consideration what the medium does best and worst, you cant translate things 1:1, so by trying to translate it 1:1, I don't know, i'm afraid they're shying away from doing really cool stuff with the original material and also fumbling it alltogether

considering adult swim doesn't have that great of a track record when it comes to anime, I would be a little bit worried
Topic Starter
Stomiks

Patatitta wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Rezq Gokou wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

bruh

yeah I get that, but it's just, it doesn't seem ambitious at all?, in order to actually make a proper adaptation you must take into consideration what the medium does best and worst, you cant translate things 1:1, so by trying to translate it 1:1, I don't know, i'm afraid they're shying away from doing really cool stuff with the original material and also fumbling it alltogether

considering adult swim doesn't have that great of a track record when it comes to anime, I would be a little bit worried
What do you wanna see in an anime adaptation? There're many anime that translate that manga 1:1 but just by adding good animation and sound design they're already improving the work by a good degree.

Also, I think Studio Drive would be more worrying since they're a relatively new studio will a just small number of anime made.
Patatitta

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Rezq Gokou wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

bruh

What do you wanna see in an anime adaptation? There're many anime that translate that manga 1:1 but just by adding good animation and sound design they're already improving the work by a good degree.

Also, I think Studio Drive would be more worrying since they're a relatively new studio will a just small number of anime made.
almost no anime adapts 1:1, it may seem like so at first, but the pacing and the how much screentime they give to everything and that sort of stuff matters even if they're not cutting plot point

but this just seems like they don't even want to cut any panel, and that is what I find like a red flag

giving an example that isn't an outlier but it's also a REALLY good adaptaiton we have yuru camp, the anime is 20 times more comfy than the manga and the manga was already comfy, it's just that the way the cut the manga and how they change the artstyle and some of the dialogue really creates a great ambient

natsume book of friends is another great adaptation, they skip thing and reorder things but it ends up being a really good anime

point is, that you need to sacrifice things or take slight risks to do this

for really extreme examples you have ping pong the animation which completely transforms the manga, nichijou which actually combines 3 different mangas into a single anime, and honestly even made in abyss that cuts out every single weird bit of the manga

for bad adaptations you have EF, which tries to cram an entire VN into a single anime and it's completely aimless because of that, or Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl which they just add feet for some reason
[ Rynn ]
when is this gonna be released? where can i watch it for free?? :000
Patatitta

[ Rynn ] wrote:

when is this gonna be released? where can i watch it for free?? :000
september 28 / anywhere if you're not a coward
Ymir
A lot of popular piracy sites did get taken down so I guess it's a valid question.

On a completely unrelated note, torrenting is a peer-to-peer (P2P) form of downloading files that doesn't rely on central servers but instead on each member of a swarm to supply a file.
Jangsoodlor

Ymir wrote:

A lot of popular piracy sites did get taken down so I guess it's a valid question.

On a completely unrelated note, torrenting is a peer-to-peer (P2P) form of downloading files that doesn't rely on central servers but instead on each member of a swarm to supply a file.
And I just happened to have a guide for downloading Free and Open Source Software with that