forum

I'm a medical student. Ask me (almost) anything!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kanye West
Hey there guys! In an effort to make this forum a little less crappy, you guys can ask me about health-related things or pretty much anything else. Keep dumb shit to a healthy minimum (heh)

Let's go!

EDIT: I'm just trying to make educated guesses based on what you guys are telling me so you can learn a little, but nothing I say is a substitute for actual medical advice from a doctor.
Weed
would you rather fight 50 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?
Yasen Baka
How brutal is medical school? As someone who plans to work in a medical field in the future, do you have any advice for medical school?
Cyclohexane
how do I stop falling asleep in class
Sal32
How to heal a broken heart
Tanzklaue
does an apple a day really keep the doctor away?
Charles445
when I look at OT I lose feeling in my right foot, is that normal
silmarilen
what was your experience with your first year?
Noobita
iv'e been bitten by a gay fish and turned into a hobbit, what should i do kanye?
ivan
x
kouzuki_karen
why can't I sleep for long?
Trash Boat
is laughing benefitial for your heart?
Topic Starter
Kanye West

bewaredrev wrote:

would you rather fight 50 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?
Horses are really strong man, even a duck sized one would do some serious damage! So I would pick the horse sized duck.

MetalGearSnake wrote:

How brutal is medical school? As someone who plans to work in a medical field in the future, do you have any advice for medical school?
Honestly it's no different than high school in terms of difficulty but there's a lot to learn in a very small time window. We have exams every 2-3 weeks on entire body systems so you really have to stay on top of the material every day. As for advice for medical school, the best thing you can do is to learn good discipline and force yourself to follow a study schedule because the only ones who do poorly in med school are the procrastinators.

Mr Color wrote:

how do I stop falling asleep in class
Get more sleep or eat breakfast or stop taking boring classes kappa

Sal32 wrote:

How to heal a broken heart
duct tape

Tanzklaue wrote:

does an apple a day really keep the doctor away?
Why yes, the magical doctor repellant properties of apples are an extensive area of study in medical research.
Topic Starter
Kanye West

Charles445 wrote:

when I look at OT I lose feeling in my right foot, is that normal
I don't know but if you publish a journal article on the anesthetic properties of OT you could make millions!

silmarilen wrote:

what was your experience with your first year?
It was probably one of the best years of my life. Basically I spent the first 20 years of my life questioning what the hell my purpose was and that all disappeared. 10/10 but would not do again

Noobita wrote:

iv'e been bitten by a gay fish and turned into a hobbit, what should i do kanye?
Is your name Bilbo Baggins?

- Ivan wrote:

Why is my urine green
Not really sure. Are you on any medications? Been hospitalized or tested for anything recently? Pain on urination? Difficulty urinating?

mrdumpling64 wrote:

why can't I sleep for long?
I don't know, you're going to have to tell me more man.

Trash Boat wrote:

is laughing benefitial for your heart?
No.
Shellghost
How do I achieve hands free?
NotEvenDoomMusic
Wow, actually.
Thank you for doing this AMA. Being someone who likes to learn small bits of trivia every other day- this is pretty damn nice. (and since i don't like to google that spits out questions/answers with 90% non-relevant content)

To stay OT:
You said somewhere that "you don't have to be visually -thin- to be internaly healthy" or something-
Actually, i found the quote:
I eat healthy anyway because you don't need to be fat to be unhealthy.
In that regards, i'd like to ask- if a skinny guy started to consume very unhealthy stuff in a not so distant future, how much of an change would it make in his appearance aswell as his internal concerns in the long run and when would his body start to "colapse"? (e.g.: high blood pressure etc. (you know, the bad stuff))
Oh yeah- and we just assume that that skinny guy does no heavy physical activities after "dem gains" whatsoever.

#tybg

On another note, i really need to sleep now.
Will come back to this thread in like, sunday or so, oversleeping caturday like a bus B)
VoidnOwO
Why am I tired for the most of the day every time I sleep over seven hours, but not at all if I set an alarm to wake me up after five or six? Not only when I stay awake for two days and fuck up my sleep cycle, but more like for the last 20 years.
Charles445
I have a skin lump on my hand that sheds and grows repeatedly. Are there any skin deformations that do that other than warts?
Shellghost

BRBP wrote:

Why am I tired for the most of the day every time I sleep over seven hours, but not at all if I set an alarm to wake me up after five or six? Not only when I stay awake for two days and fuck up my sleep cycle, but more like for the last 20 years.
REM cycles could be your problem here.

Try to sleep for multiples of 3 hours (3,6,9) because a full sleep cycle lasts approximately 3 hours. REM specifically lasts between 90 to 110 minutes during that cycle and if you are woken up during you will feel like shit and be tired for the rest of the day.

So like, if you've been up all night watching Psycho Pass and you need to be awake 7 hours from now, it can be more beneficial to stay awake for a further hour than try to go to sleep right away and have a shitty sleep cycle.

Sorry, Kanye.
dkun
Welcome to General Discussion. Now let's be a little more serious.
show more