forum

I'm a medical student. Ask me (almost) anything!

posted
Total Posts
show more
MMzz
If I squat down to pick something up or organize things on the lowers shelfs at work, I get really dizzy when I stand back up.

Is this a condition?
Faust
Common thing to happen @MMzz, since that drops your blood pressure.
oRAiiDEN
I dont sweat as much as everyone around me. I do take up dancing (breakdancing/bboying) and exercising (2-3 times a week). Is there something bad?
Topic Starter
Kanye West
Holy shit guys you actually have good questions wow I will answer everything tomorrow morning
Witch Mercy
Why do I never feel hungry or the need to consume anything at all?
How come it seems like whatever I do, I'll get exhausted really easily?
Honestly this is just like a tl;dr version of my current health situation and I don't feel like going into detail blah.
Sure wish my doctor did more than just telling me to "get more rest and eat/properly".
Raging Bull
Prefer inpatient or outpatient more?
silmarilen
untill a couple of years ago, my toes became really itchy and red on winternights, i think it was because of the temperature (we got a better heater a couple of years ago and it pretty much stopped) , any idea what it is? it may be chillblains but it was only at night and not for multiple days
Tanzklaue

Kanye West wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

does an apple a day really keep the doctor away?
Why yes, the magical doctor repellant properties of apples are an extensive area of study in medical research.
fun fact: they actually might not keep all doctors away.

they might keep the normal doctor away (dunno if the vitamins are enough and shit), but as everyone should know apples have a lot of both acid and sugar. both of these eat away on your teeth like topmodels at an all you can eat buffet.

so they definitely don't keep dentists away.

also, new question: why did you decide to become a doctor?
Nekoichi
Why do some people think Asians can do any impossible things?
Topic Starter
Kanye West

NotEvenDoomMusic wrote:

Wow, actually.
Thank you for doing this AMA. Being someone who likes to learn small bits of trivia every other day- this is pretty damn nice. (and since i don't like to google that spits out questions/answers with 90% non-relevant content)

To stay OT:
You said somewhere that "you don't have to be visually -thin- to be internaly healthy" or something-
Actually, i found the quote:
I eat healthy anyway because you don't need to be fat to be unhealthy.
In that regards, i'd like to ask- if a skinny guy started to consume very unhealthy stuff in a not so distant future, how much of an change would it make in his appearance aswell as his internal concerns in the long run and when would his body start to "colapse"? (e.g.: high blood pressure etc. (you know, the bad stuff))
Oh yeah- and we just assume that that skinny guy does no heavy physical activities after "dem gains" whatsoever.

#tybg

On another note, i really need to sleep now.
Will come back to this thread in like, sunday or so, oversleeping caturday like a bus B)
no problem. as for your question, it's difficult to predict when, but high-carb, high-protein, high-fat and high-sodium diets will definitely lead to undesirable outcomes at some point. it's always best to eat a bit of everything and control portion size.

Charles445 wrote:

I have a skin lump on my hand that sheds and grows repeatedly. Are there any skin deformations that do that other than warts?
hmm, quite a few things I can think of off the top of my head. maybe some kind of allergic reaction, dermatitis, could be viral or fungal too. in any case have your doctor look at it.

Shellghost wrote:

BRBP wrote:

Why am I tired for the most of the day every time I sleep over seven hours, but not at all if I set an alarm to wake me up after five or six? Not only when I stay awake for two days and fuck up my sleep cycle, but more like for the last 20 years.
REM cycles could be your problem here.

Try to sleep for multiples of 3 hours (3,6,9) because a full sleep cycle lasts approximately 3 hours. REM specifically lasts between 90 to 110 minutes during that cycle and if you are woken up during you will feel like shit and be tired for the rest of the day.

So like, if you've been up all night watching Psycho Pass and you need to be awake 7 hours from now, it can be more beneficial to stay awake for a further hour than try to go to sleep right away and have a shitty sleep cycle.

Sorry, Kanye.
np this is a good answer but there's a lot of variables in individual circadian rhythms so it's not safe to define a sleep cycle as 3 hours.

Nyquill wrote:

Ever since I had a surgery for acute appendicitis, I've had various issues with my health during winter. At first, I had rashes whenever I walk outside in the wind, and it later ended but I started having a non-stop dry cough all year long, and recently I started to have trouble breathing when its cold or when I wake up. Is this anything serious? I tested allergies and nothing came up, and I went to a doctor and he says nothing is wrong.
I don't really know what was up with the rashes but if they're gone it shouldn't be an issue. as for the other stuff, sounds like mild asthma. shouldn't be an issue unless your symptoms get significantly worse (chest pain, rapid, labored breathing, uncontrollable coughing fits, wheezing) or if they worsen after exertion in which case see a doctor.

Kritzkingvoid wrote:

How to stop my hands from bleeding while playing osu non stop

Edit:I seem to have a small cut in my hand that won't heal for over like 3 day i have a band-aid over it and it still keeps bleeding
use antimicrobial cream and use gauze and direct downward pressure if it keeps bleeding

Sulker wrote:

Okay, for the past year, I have been having itching breakouts just from going outside in the sun for a good amount of time. I have tried ant-itch lotions, drink plenty of fluids (water and sometimes juice) and I have said this to my doctor, and he says there nothing to worry about.This is still happening to me and I am not sure if it just me overreacting or what?
sounds like you just have really sensitive skin that dries easily. instead of anti-itch lotions, try a good moisturizer + sunblock with good SPF when you're going outside.

Faust wrote:

Any hands-on experience with actual civilian casualties ?

If not, what was the closest thing to that.
nope but I saw a guy with end stage liver disease (was an alcoholic). poor guy died like 2 days later.

Navizel wrote:

There's blood in my stool (sorry for the people eating smth)

what do?
wtf man see a doctor.

mrdumpling64 wrote:

I can't fall asleep until it is well past 12AM, and then I wake up at 6:30AM and can't fall asleep again.
this has no medical basis whatsoever but personally what helps me sleep is getting off the computer like 1 hour before I want to sleep and reading a book instead.

Cloudchaser wrote:

I've taken pills for tendonitis since 7 months and I still having complaints. What can I do?
7 months is a long time for tendonitis and it's likely progressed to tendonosis. you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendinosis

Go see a doctor lol.

MMzz wrote:

If I squat down to pick something up or organize things on the lowers shelfs at work, I get really dizzy when I stand back up.

Is this a condition?
this is a textbook example of orthostatic hypotension. read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

oRAiiDEN wrote:

I dont sweat as much as everyone around me. I do take up dancing (breakdancing/bboying) and exercising (2-3 times a week). Is there something bad?
As long as you're not having any other symptoms while exercising you should be fine. If you experience things like dizziness, muscle cramping, feeling hot, or skin flushing then go see a doctor.

Graciee wrote:

Why do I never feel hungry or the need to consume anything at all?
How come it seems like whatever I do, I'll get exhausted really easily?
Honestly this is just like a tl;dr version of my current health situation and I don't feel like going into detail blah.
Sure wish my doctor did more than just telling me to "get more rest and eat/properly".
those are really nonspecific symptoms and you need to tell me more. feel free to PM me if you want.

Raging Bull wrote:

Prefer inpatient or outpatient more?
well I'm not a doctor but I'm sure they prefer outpatients because less paperwork haha.

silmarilen wrote:

untill a couple of years ago, my toes became really itchy and red on winternights, i think it was because of the temperature (we got a better heater a couple of years ago and it pretty much stopped) , any idea what it is? it may be chillblains but it was only at night and not for multiple days
many many possibilities, i would need a picture

Tanzklaue wrote:

also, new question: why did you decide to become a doctor?
mainly because I worked two desk jobs in high school and both made me want to kill myself from boredom. also other reasons but that's a long story.

Ryuuichii wrote:

Why do some people Asian parents think Asians can do any impossible things?
fixed, and I don't know man I'm just a med student not a psychic

oh and,

I'm just trying to make educated guesses based on what you guys are telling me so you can learn a little, but nothing I say is a substitute for actual medical advice from a doctor.
Faust
As an advocate of healthy living, have you a handful of particular (cooked or uncooked/raw) foods you might be fond of and would recommend to others ?

Personally, I like munching on a variety of nuts and the occasional raw vegetable salad. (lettuce, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts & celery with olive oil minus the dressing)
Seph

Nyquill wrote:

acute appendicitis
I know your pain, though I never took an operation yet, since it just like goes on and off.

Ontopic: I've had this condition(?) for long now, can't remember really when it started but I always have this feeling that my sinus is always blocked by something, if it helps I used to smoke. I can't be fucked to ask my doctor even tho i always go for a checkup.
XPJ38
Every time I go outside the first time in a day, I can't help sneezing multiple times. I feel like it's happening especially if it is windy or particularly sunny. How come?

Kanye West wrote:

MMzz wrote:

Is this a condition?
this is a textbook example of orthostatic hypotension. read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension
And I wondered why I was feeling dizzy every time I get up in the morning. The more you know.
Lewder

Faust wrote:

As an advocate of healthy living, have you a handful of particular (cooked or uncooked/raw) foods you might be fond of and would recommend to others ?

Personally, I like munching on a variety of nuts and the occasional raw vegetable salad. (lettuce, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts & celery with olive oil minus the dressing)
Chia seeds yo, on like, everything
Like, everything
everything
Blue Stig

Kanye West wrote:

MMzz wrote:

Is this a condition?
Also could be POTS.
I've noticed a lot of people diagnosed with it recently including myself.
It can also cause lack of energy, apatite and concentration, and if you crave salt a lot this definitely could be a factor if you have the condition.

Fluids help.
I personally prefer Vitamin Water.

Of course I am not a doctor.
If it's bad see your doctor.
uzzi
Why is it that when I do anything actively with my hands, they start to sweat. Like they'll sweat really easily...
UnderminE
i have a fever atm, what do
Yuzeyun
I rarely have hiccups - when I do it lasts long and 90% of the time it escalates to the point I'm in a pretty bad pain.
Also, when I am at home, I get to sneeze violently (and that lasts for 10 minutes). I took a test few years ago to know if I have allergies, and I don't have any allergies except mites (which would be doubtful since I would sneeze a lot at my student room - which actually never happens). I open my windows frequently to renew the air in the room.
Trash Boat
I'm not a doctor, but for hiccup i usually drink water while holding my breath by blocking my nose. i hold it as long as i can, then release it. it works for me
LeSpu
My right thumb twitches when playing osu for 20+ minutes when using my mouse. Is this normal?
Raging Bull
Why not join the Navy as a Corpsman? Pretty do almost anything a nurse can do with less school time!

Edit: Or rather you can branch out from the medical field into a more specific one such as pharmacy/radiology/OBGYN/Surgical/Orthopedics/Respiratory etc
Seph

UnderminE wrote:

if emil was around he'd say fap
Soarezi

Sal32 wrote:

How to heal a broken heart
stop being sensitive
Foxtrot
you should probably put all the answers in the first post under a huge spoilerbox, so maybe people won't ask the same questions again! just my two cents, though.
piruchan
How many times a day do we have to take a bath? I frequently take 3 baths a day, but some say that it's not good.

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

Why is it that when I do anything actively with my hands, they start to sweat. Like they'll sweat really easily...
This happens to me as well, my friend say it makes your palm smooth by keeping it moist, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not.
Yuzeyun

Trash Boat wrote:

I'm not a doctor, but for hiccup i usually drink water while holding my breath by blocking my nose. i hold it as long as i can, then release it. it works for me
the question is more directed towards the intense pain it gives than how to stop it
Ceph23
Do you really think weed has any health benefits?
Greust
Why do my hands always get really cold? Particularly throughout the later parts of the day, like, ice cold?

Also, how can you distinguish between arthritis and general cramp/muscle pain? e.g. using a pen for a prolonged period of time gives me fairly uncomfortable pain in the the three knuckle joints of my middle finger, ring finger and my pinky finger. Although I'm not sure if it's just where my muscles are getting cramped or whether I may have arthritis (A lot of my relatives have it.)
Sync
my doctor said that my thyroid is underactive but I'm still a fidgety and anxious and shit wat do

he told me it was weird but never followed up with anything
ALTKID
Can someone in this year reach the age of 150 or 200 ?

bad english orz
Topic Starter
Kanye West

Faust wrote:

For a quick meal: stir fry with a little sriracha usually is what I do. You can use any vegetables you want and it will turn out great but don't overcook. also no soy sauce because that stuff is just liquid salt :P For an even quicker meal: sautee some onions and chili peppers and microwave some of that instant ramen stuff (but don't use the flavoring powder). Combine them, add frozen vegetables and crack an egg or two on the whole thing and cook until the vegetables are warm and the eggs cooked. For something more involved: lasagna with spinach or eggplant filling instead of ground beef works really well. Basically a good rule of thumb is to substitute red meat with vegetables or white meat and substitute salt with low-sodium spices and seasoning. For snacks I usually have granola or greek yogurt.

Seph wrote:

Nyquill wrote:

acute appendicitis
I know your pain, though I never took an operation yet, since it just like goes on and off.

Ontopic: I've had this condition(?) for long now, can't remember really when it started but I always have this feeling that my sinus is always blocked by something, if it helps I used to smoke. I can't be fucked to ask my doctor even tho i always go for a checkup.
Might be allergies or infection, depending on how severe your symptoms are you might want to go see a doctor

XPJ38 wrote:

Every time I go outside the first time in a day, I can't help sneezing multiple times. I feel like it's happening especially if it is windy or particularly sunny. How come?
Textbook example of photic sneeze reflex. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

Unusual but normal unless you have other symptoms.

UnderminE wrote:

Fluids, rest and time.

_Gezo_ wrote:

I rarely have hiccups - when I do it lasts long and 90% of the time it escalates to the point I'm in a pretty bad pain.
Also, when I am at home, I get to sneeze violently (and that lasts for 10 minutes). I took a test few years ago to know if I have allergies, and I don't have any allergies except mites (which would be doubtful since I would sneeze a lot at my student room - which actually never happens). I open my windows frequently to renew the air in the room.
Pain with hiccups is usually from stiff chest muscles or diaphragm and you should definitely tell a doctor about this. As for your sneezing, some kind of allergen or airborne particle is triggering it. Could be dust, smoke, pollen or something else. I don't know any specifics about what the allergy test you took was specifically testing for but this is what causes triggered fits of sneezing.

LeSpu wrote:

My right thumb twitches when playing osu for 20+ minutes when using my mouse. Is this normal?
No lol take breaks it's probably from overuse or holding your thumb or hand in an awkward position which can apply pressure to nerves

Raging Bull wrote:

Why not join the Navy as a Corpsman? Pretty do almost anything a nurse can do with less school time!

Edit: Or rather you can branch out from the medical field into a more specific one such as pharmacy/radiology/OBGYN/Surgical/Orthopedics/Respiratory etc
Well several of reasons. Primary reason is that military scholarships for medicine are actually competitive and there's a whole application process involved. There's also the fact that by going that path, you waive your rights as a civilian and the government has complete control over you.

Dulcet wrote:

you should probably put all the answers in the first post under a huge spoilerbox, so maybe people won't ask the same questions again! just my two cents, though.
Good idea but I'm lazy and it's hard to do on mobile :P

piruchan wrote:

How many times a day do we have to take a bath? I frequently take 3 baths a day, but some say that it's not good.
1-2 times per day. Too much bathing will make your skin dry and also kills protective bacteria on your skin surface.

Ceph23 wrote:

Do you really think weed has any health benefits?
It's decent at helping cancer patients with severe nausea and vomiting who underwent chemotherapy and it's also a somewhat good painkiller.

Venoko wrote:

Why do my hands always get really cold? Particularly throughout the later parts of the day, like, ice cold?

Also, how can you distinguish between arthritis and general cramp/muscle pain? e.g. using a pen for a prolonged period of time gives me fairly uncomfortable pain in the the three knuckle joints of my middle finger, ring finger and my pinky finger. Although I'm not sure if it's just where my muscles are getting cramped or whether I may have arthritis (A lot of my relatives have it.)
Your cold hands are likely Raynaud's Phenomenon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

Muscle pain and cramps aren't felt at the joints. What you have is arthralgia, probably caused from overuse. Arthralgia = joint pain, arthritis = joint swelling. Just take a break or if it gets bad use ice.

Sync wrote:

my doctor said that my thyroid is underactive but I'm still a fidgety and anxious and shit wat do

he told me it was weird but never followed up with anything
You're probably hypothyroid but don't need treatment unless you're experiencing other symptoms like muscle weakness, chronic fatigue/tiredness or thinning hair or if you're concerned about sudden weight gain.

AllRiseSilver wrote:

Can someone in this year reach the age of 150 or 200 ?

bad english orz
It's not impossible considering how much our lifespan has extended over the past 100-150 years
Kouya-
I have back problems, I've been trying to sit up straight but every few minutes or so I start slouching and be slowly hurting my back .

Got any suggestions to adjust my back problem Dr. Kanye ?
Raging Bull

SupaWolfTiga wrote:

I have back problems, I've been trying to sit up straight but every few minutes or so I start slouching and be slowly hurting my back .

Got any suggestions to adjust my back problem Dr. Kanye ?

Back pain has variety of reasons. Strengthen your transverse abdominus and work on your posture. Roll a towel and put it behind your lower back. Might help too.

@kanye any specific branch of medical field that interests you the most? Prefer triage/casualty or hospital more?
Cyclohexane
Whenever I have breakfast in the morning, I always feel bloated and queasy for the rest of the morning. Is it just because I'm not used to it or something? I generally have toast with Nutella and a glass of fruit juice.
Mara
How do I relieve massive amount of stress out of me?
Lewder

Mara wrote:

How do I relieve massive amount of stress out of me?
now this is a question we all can surely answer masturbate to
ColdTooth
My right ear usually has this odd feeling. Sometimes I can feel the insides of my right ear, and it is making my ears hurt. Is there an explanation behind this?
Hinsvar
So, since I was around 7-8 years old, I always felt a sudden burst of... something very hard to describe. It feels like I suddenly lost control of a part of my body (usually my limbs), and it either randomly moves on its own (and just makes me feel like there's something creeping inside the body part, and it also feels kinda... ticklish inside?) or just can't be moved at all for around 3-4 seconds, then it'll return to normal.

When it started to happen, it'll only happen around once or twice a day, but as time passes (I'm 18 now), it gets more frequent. It can happen once every 5 minutes to 4 hours, and it's getting annoying, especially when I'm walking on a public place (like when in a marketplace, school, or somewhere else). It's really uncomfortable.

Is this a symptom of something very bad? I'm getting pretty worried of this because it's already happening for over 10 years.
Lewder
You may or may not have Tourette Syndrome
Arcanine
i usually eat some 'chinese food' 2-3 times a week and every time i eat it, it feels like i just consumed laxatives and roofies.

is dis gud ???????????

i aint fat, underweight more like it
show more