forum

Snap Coloring

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AstalFanBoy
as many people know, other games such as Etterna, Quaver, and FFR have snap coloring.

Snap coloring is a very crucial part to VSRGs especially in such a competitive environment as it can make or break how someone plays.

Tools such as gosu (tosu now) implement things such as hit error and judgement counters. Would something similar be possible to implement within osu? Snap coloring is super useful and I feel that it drastically helps me perform better and could help others drastically as well.
midgy
lazer has this feature but it's finicky depending on your skin, if you mean to be added to stable then no i don't think peppy is gonna add anything to stable anymore since lazer is the focus now

side note what patterns are you playing that snap colouring helps? i could only really see it being useful on dense handstream files
i love snap colouring a lot but p much everyone i know on etterna fully agrees that it has no benefit and just looks nice
Plushsune

midgy wrote:

side note what patterns are you playing that snap colouring helps? i could only really see it being useful on dense handstream files
i love snap colouring a lot but p much everyone i know on etterna fully agrees that it has no benefit and just looks nice
I main Lazer and play on Quaver from time to time, I can say that snap coloring can make SV that purely relies on memory into fast reading instead, because y'know, you can actually see the snaps you are about to play. There's still quite a bit of memory but it makes a lot of gimmick charts more decipherable.

Unfortunately Lazer has only one weird set of colors for snap coloring (goes with the Synesthesia mod in Standard), the ends of LNs are also color-coded with no way to change this, so I can't recommend how Lazer handles it at all so far.
Topic Starter
AstalFanBoy

midgy wrote:

lazer has this feature but it's finicky depending on your skin, if you mean to be added to stable then no i don't think peppy is gonna add anything to stable anymore since lazer is the focus now

for me it helps on everything. im not that good as an audio player but having a visualizer helps me so much. i think one of the biggest examples for me would be speed and tech
midgy

LuriCookie wrote:

I main Lazer and play on Quaver from time to time, I can say that snap coloring can make SV that purely relies on memory into fast reading instead, because y'know, you can actually see the snaps you are about to play. There's still quite a bit of memory but it makes a lot of gimmick charts more decipherable.

Unfortunately Lazer has only one weird set of colors for snap coloring (goes with the Synesthesia mod in Standard), the ends of LNs are also color-coded with no way to change this, so I can't recommend how Lazer handles it at all so far.
i didn't even think of sv you right that would help a tonne and yeah it's a bit wack on lazer still hopefully it gets updates to make it better at some point
Kaaruumii
i love snap coloring because its easier to read on higher scroll speeds compared to solid color for me, its technically a feature that exists in lazer but its not customizable sadly, its a massive reason why id rather play etterna over osu mania nowadays (plus its easier to find maps based on skillsets for me)