forum

Why is playcount farming against the rules?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Naiad
Please no speculation from those who don't know, I just don't understand the rationale behind disallowing it.
EnigmaticG
My understanding is that as long as you don't use cheats (play legit), or exploit bugs, there is nothing wrong with it. Perhaps you could clarify what exactly you mean by playcount farming as I am not sure we are thinking of the same thing.
Voidedosu

EnigmaticG wrote:

My understanding is that as long as you don't use cheats (play legit), or exploit bugs, there is nothing wrong with it. Perhaps you could clarify what exactly you mean by playcount farming as I am not sure we are thinking of the same thing.
This response would beg to differ.

That being said, I'm not sure either, though I also don't know why you'd want to.
Topic Starter
Naiad
Yes I have even seen peppy say that playcount farming is not allowed (even without external software etc,) which I find highly confusing. Why is farming playcount inherently different from like anything else?
EnigmaticG

Voidedosu wrote:

EnigmaticG wrote:

That being said, I'm not sure either, though I also don't know why you'd want to.
Well, this person was talking about using a macro. If number of plays itself were a problem, then why would, for example, osu420 still be able to play? The only other case I can think of is playing an "artificially short" map (like way less than 30 seconds and not really a legit map) while retry spamming using an autoclicker or something like that. In this case, I'd say the reason is to avoid putting too much strain on the servers.
Topic Starter
Naiad

EnigmaticG wrote:

Voidedosu wrote:

EnigmaticG wrote:

Well, this person was talking about using a macro. If number of plays itself were a problem, then why would, for example, osu420 still be able to play? The only other case I can think of is playing an "artificially short" map (like way less than 30 seconds and not really a legit map) while retry spamming using an autoclicker or something like that. In this case, I'd say the reason is to avoid putting too much strain on the servers.
It's not number of plays. I believe that spamming short plays, barely hitting the 10k score requirement for the play to be logged as a playcount, and then leaving the map is bannable, if done over and over. The reply by blushing also simply says that playcount farming is bannable, without any further explanation or mention of macros etc,
EnigmaticG

Naiad wrote:

EnigmaticG wrote:

Voidedosu wrote:

EnigmaticG wrote:

It's not number of plays. I believe that spamming short plays, barely hitting the 10k score requirement for the play to be logged as a playcount, and then leaving the map is bannable, if done over and over. The reply by blushing also simply says that playcount farming is bannable, without any further explanation or mention of macros etc,
Then my last sentence is probably closest to being correct. I've certainly had a few sessions where I wondered if I was "playcount farming" because I was submitting so many plays, but the difference was I was also getting lots of ranked score.
I AM VERY SMART
Even though you don't get any benefits by playcount farming manually or with a program, it can be used by multi-accounts so they can pretend themselves to be normal players with a high playcount. It's also not a morally right thing to do because we will no longer be able to differentiate between those who really play the game and those who playcount farm.

I think it's a good decision to ban this.