forum

September Artist's Spotlight: XI!!! (Round 7)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Thank you for coming to my Osu Challenge!

I, like many of you, am interested in the various tournaments hosted by the community, and would love to join one myself. However, due to work and other life commitments I cannot guarantee that I will have a specific weekend or specific dates off to participate in or host a tournament. So, I opted to start my own series of themed challenges meant to be held over the entire month as opposed to a single day or weekend, broken up into 2-day rounds and an end-of-month free period to fix previous scores or fill in ones you missed. If this is something you're interested in, or fits more neatly into your schedule than other tourneys, you're welcome to join in! It's open to all ranks from 3M+ to #1.

The artist's spotlight challenge is back again! For this half of the year it's the artist Xi! This artist has maps with some of the most legendary plays set in the history of Osu, from Cookiezi's famous Blue Zenith and Freedom dive hrhd plays (and meme status of the former; WYSI), to Accolibed's capture of the #1 spot with his play on Over the Top. Perhaps we won't be making history like that in this challenge, but for all I know everyone will be setting new top plays here, too. So come on in and test your skills!

As for the polls, it's time to pick the contestants to be potentially featured in the first half of 2025 (yes I'm keeping this the same, why change it)! With 8 selections, an option to choose a sort of non-artist option, or put your own personal option up on the ballot! (Just be aware if it doesn't have at least 5 songs it won't get picked.).
I also have a poll set up regarding how I should categorize themes that show up in maps, insofar as whether or not any themes that show up in videos or storyboards should be included as well. While the main effect of this is determining how much extra work I'll need to do in regards to how many themes I need to track, I think it's important to also let you the players have some influence on things from time to time.

Other notable links:
Penalty mark sheet with descriptions (plus eventual link archive of previous challenges)
Artist's Spotlight and other polls: Spotlight #5, Spotlight #6, A poll on themes and map inclusion
Beatmap suggestion thread: Festival/Religious Wear

Help Wanted board (to be populated sometime soon)

I will most certainly need some help with things down the line. This part is largely just a placeholder while I figure out what I need and all that stuff.

Staff/Extra credits (aka anyone besides myself):
Xerillia - creating and coding the automated spreadsheet for these challenges, which will make my life a lot easier if/when I have over 10 players per bracket as far as inputting data.

Sign-up Rules and Brackets
- The ranges for each bracket of play (in rankings and SR) are as follows:
  1. 900K+ (1.3-1.8*)
  2. 899-700K (1.8-2.3*)
  3. 699-500K (2.3-2.8*)
  4. 499-300K (2.8-3.3*)
  5. 299-200K (3.3-3.8*)
  6. 199-150K (3.8-4.3*)
  7. 149K-100K (4.3-4.8*)
  8. 99K-50K (4.8-5.3*)
  9. 50K-10K (5.3-5.8*)
  10. <10K (5.8*-6.3*)

- Joining is simple. Merely post "/in" or anything that looks like you want to join in. I would prefer /in to avoid ambiguity, though.
- If you have your settings set to "friends only" for dms, please either uncheck that box or add me as a friend. It's important that I'm able to dm you directly on Osu for reminders.
- All who post will be checked by the end of sign-ups for your range (and obviously when I'm putting you in your brackets).
- The second phase of sign-ups is called the "lock-in" phase. At that point, even if you get enough pp to advance to a new bracket (eg. at 501K, you get enough to jump to 497K) you will still be locked into the bracket you originally were signed up for. However, advancements before that point will be accounted for and you will be moved to the proper bracket.
-Players who sign up during this lock-in phase will also be subject to said lock-in as well.
-Any bracket that has one or zero participants will be removed.
--If a bracket has only one player, they will be given a one-time option to jump down to a lower bracket (eg. a single 499-300K player may jump to the 299-200K bracket). If this option is not taken, you will be removed alongside the bracket.
--If this option is taken, this will be waived if and ONLY if a lower-bracket single player decides to jump into your bracket to make it a 2-person (and thus viable) bracket. If nobody opts to take the advancement (or will otherwise be affected by it before you), your own advancement will take place.
Examples
Example 1: Player 1 is the only one in the 500-699K bracket and opts to take the advancement to the 300-499K bracket. Player 2 is also the only one in the 700-899K bracket but does not take the advancement. Player 2 will be removed with their bracket while Player 1 will advance.
Example 2: Player 1 is the only one in the 500-699K bracket and opts to take the advancement to the 300-499K bracket. Player 2 is also the only one in the 700-899K bracket and also takes the advancement. Player 3 is also the only one in the 900K+ bracket but does not take the advancement. Player 2 will advance as they were still in a single-person bracket, but Player 1 will not because Player 2 has moved up to join them.
Example 3: Same scenario as Example 2 except the 900K+ does take the advancement. Player 2 will remain in their bracket since Player 3 advanced, while Player 1 will be moved up to the 300-499K bracket

-The lock-in phase will begin at 00:00 on August 29th, 2024.
Sign-ups officially end at 23:59 on August 31st, 2024 and the challenge will begin at 00:00 on September 1st. Anyone who asks after this day will not be added.

Competition Rules
-There will be 10 maps for each bracket, with each map getting two days to play.
--6 Maps will be within your designated SR spread for each bracket.
--1 Map will be .2-.3* harder than your spread.
--1 map will be .2-.3* easier than your spread.
--2 maps will be 1-1.5* easier than your spread.
-For each map, players will have two days to submit scores for the map. Once that two-day period is up, you will be unable to submit another score for that map until the final days of the challenge.
-After Round 10, the final days of the month will be a free submission period, where you may submit scores for all the maps in your bracket as a final chance to upgrade your scores. Once the final day of the challenge is over, no more submissions will be accepted.
-You may use any mod except the following combinations:
--V2 (as this doesn't submit scores to the website meaning I can't trawl for them myself if I have to.)
--NFDT D-rank (to ensure that all players at least attempt to try for a score.
--Any auto-play mod (Relax, auto, autopilot)
---While score-reducing mods like HT, EZ and NF are allowed, be aware that they will be a detriment if it comes down to score tiebreaks.
-Lazer scores WILL NOT be allowed for submission!
- Scores must be submitted or dated from during the round of that particular map or during the free period at the end. That does mean you will need to re-do your score if you had one submitted previously.
--This dating is based on the website-side timestamps for your scores, as those are based either on UTC or are converted from UTC to my timezone (US Central) instead of each player's own local timezones.
- There is no limit to the number of scores you may submit, so long as it is submitted within the time-frame of the challenge and the specific round for each map. Submit one-and-dones, or replay your maps every day until you get the best score you can, whatever works for you.
- A link to your score page on the website is required in a companion thread that will be made on the day the challenge starts. Pictures are optional but encouraged, or required if you get scorev1'd. It is also on you to ensure your links work and are updated. I can and will trawl for scores if absolutely necessary or if something janky happens, and if I find a broken link I will try to point it out, but I will not be doing so regularly.
- Players must submit scores for at least three maps by the end of the first five rounds, and for at least seven maps before the open submission period. Players who fail to do so will be automatically DQ'd and may not re-enter. Repeat offenders will be barred from participating in future challenges. If you find out you can no longer participate or don't want to, please just let me know instead of ghosting. I have no problem with you requesting to leave at any time. If you wish to see if you are affected by this, please see the penalties sheet.
- Points will be distributed based on the number of players in each bracket minus one per 5 people. I.e. if there are less than 5, all participants will get points (1st gets 4, 2nd 3, etc.), while if there are 5 then four will get points while last place will get none (if there's 5 players, 1st will get 4, 2nd 3, and so on while 5th will get none. If there's 10 players, 1st will get 8, 2nd 7, 3rd 6, and so on while 9th and 10th get none.)
- If a player FC's a map (Full combo, no dropped slider-ends; your combo should be green on the scores page), they will be given a bonus point.
- If a player FCs a map with at least 98% accuracy, they will be given two bonus points.
- If a player SS's a map, they will be given three bonus points.
---Do note that these do not stack; you can only earn up to three bonus points for the SS.
- The winner of each round (and any potential tiebreaks) will be determined as follows, from top priority to lowest: Accuracy->score->timestamp.
Tiebreak examples
--Example 1: Player A has a play with 93% acc., while Player B has 95%. In this scenario, Player B would win the map.
--Example 2: Player A and Player B both have 97% acc, but Player A has 8.5M points while Player B has 7.8M points. In this scenario, Player A would win the map.
--Example 3: Player A and Player B both SS the map, but Player B has 1,100 more points due to a faster spinner. In this scenario Player B would win.
--Example 4: Player A and Player B both SS the map and either have the same spinner points or the map has no spinner. However, Player A submitted their play one day before Player B. In this scenario, Player A would win.
- The challenge will officially end at 23:59 on September 30th, 2024. No other submissions will be accepted after this time.
-- The player from each bracket with the most points wins. If two or more players are tied, the player who has the most round wins will be the winner.

Prizes
- The winner of each bracket will earn 1 month's Osu!Supporter from me.
- If a player FC's all maps in their bracket, I will give them an extra 1 month's supporter.
- If a player SS's all maps in their bracket, I will give them an extra 2 months' Supporter.
- Others are more than welcome to offer their own rewards to players if they so choose. However, if you are participating you may not offer a reward of any kind for the challenge. If there is enough support for it I may allow for rewards on brackets outside your own, but that remains to be seen.

I AM VERY SMART
TIME TO FREEDOM DIVE INTO IT
reffty_gag
XI MY BELOVED
[Ellie]
/in
I AM VERY SMART

reffty_gag wrote:

XI MY BELOVED
ANAXI MY BELOVED
reffty_gag

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

reffty_gag wrote:

XI MY BELOVED
ANAXI MY BELOVED
HIS EVERYTHING MY BELOVED
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

reffty_gag wrote:

XI MY BELOVED
Are these supposed to be /ins or you two just being hyped for Xi?
reffty_gag

Voidedosu wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

reffty_gag wrote:

XI MY BELOVED
Are these supposed to be /ins or you two just being hyped for Xi?
yes I hyped, and no I'm not in cuz my pc is ded
I AM VERY SMART
Can't /in I'll be very inactive in September 😿
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
added everyone.

I've also linked the spreadsheet. This one is essentially a brand-spanking-new automated sheet, coded and brought to you by the amazing Xerillia. Firstly, give him a huge round of applause for working on this for me essentially by himself for me to have an easier time inputting data and for you to have a much better-looking and informed experience. Secondly, if you have to see anything break or look weird, please try to both post about it/dm me and dm him as well. I will likely be rushing to him for help fixing it anyways, but in case I'm not paying attention or am otherwise away I'd like the original creator to be apprised of what's going on.
Xerillia
:D
Canya24
/in
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
The lock-in phase has begun, so everyone is now locked into the bracket they were put in. Advancement waivers and a double-check of everyone's rank will happen shortly.
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Sign-ups are officially over. Round 1 has begun and will end at 23:59 on September 2nd.

Scores thread: Here

Oh, and if anyone has accessibility issues (especially anyone from China), please let me know.
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 1 is over. Round 2 has begun and will end at 23:59 on September 4th.
Xerillia
If you really think about it, Voidedosu's Monthly Challenges are osu! Lazer daily challenge but done once every other day and up to 10 maps
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

Xerillia wrote:

If you really think about it, Voidedosu's Monthly Challenges are osu! Lazer daily challenge but done once every other day and up to 10 maps
So that means I get to call dibs on the idea?
Xerillia

Voidedosu wrote:

Xerillia wrote:

So that means I get to call dibs on the idea?
Absolutely
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 2 is over. Round 3 has begun and will end at 23:59 on September 6th.

The following player must submit a score in this round or be auto-dq'd:
LuriCookie
KazaYukii
darloong
[Ellie]
Br1cked
Rainidy
Bens
Hedayo
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 3 is over. Round 4 has begun and will end at 23:59 on September 8th.

The following players have been auto-dq'd due to lack of scores:
KazaYukii
darloong
[Ellie]
Br1cked
Rainidy
Bens
Femboy bussy

The following brackets have been rendered defunct due to lack of players:
<10K

The following players must submit this round or be auto-dq'd:
H8mebaby
Plushsune
sxrenne
Xafia
Tey
Xerillia
So, I noticed something. Is xi and Xi the same person? I googled it and found out that they are two different artists. Source from a reddit post 8 years ago

Edit:
Will everyone who SS-ed every map in a bracket be rewarded with 2 months of supporter, regardless of their overall placement at the end?
example, both Player A and Player B SS-ed every map, but the bracket winner is A because they won more maps than Player B. In this case, Player A will get 3 months of supporter, but what about Player B?
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

Xerillia wrote:

So, I noticed something. Is xi and Xi the same person? I googled it and found out that they are two different artists. Source from a reddit post 8 years ago

Edit:
Will everyone who SS-ed every map in a bracket be rewarded with 2 months of supporter, regardless of their overall placement at the end?
example, both Player A and Player B SS-ed every map, but the bracket winner is A because they won more maps than Player B. In this case, Player A will get 3 months of supporter, but what about Player B?
Yup. A gets 3 months, B gets 2 months. C through however many will, too, if they SS their maps as well.

That being said, if everyone SS's their maps, I probably will have to give them out in batches so I don't hurt myself financially. I'll still be extremely happy, but yknow, finances.
Xerillia

Voidedosu wrote:

Xerillia wrote:

Edit:
Yup. A gets 3 months, B gets 2 months. C through however many will, too, if they SS their maps as well.

That being said, if everyone SS's their maps, I probably will have to give them out in batches so I don't hurt myself financially. I'll still be extremely happy, but yknow, finances.
That is fair. Thanks for the clarification
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 4 is over. Round 5 has begun and will end at 23:59 on September 10th.

The following players have been auto-dq'd due to lack of submissions:
H8mebaby
Plushsune
Sxrrene
Xafia
Tey

The following brackets have been rendered defunct due to lack of players:
899-700K

The following players must submit a score this round or be auto-dq'd:
Ceruleandion
Clindamycin
Krmacow
Big door
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 5 is over. Round 6 has begun and will end at 23:59 on September 12th.

The following players have been auto-dq'd due to lack of submissions:
Ceruleandion
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 6 is over. Round 7 has begun and will end at 23:59 on September 14th.

The following players must submit this round or be auto-dq'd:
Simplyrein
Clindamycin
[TRN]
KrMaCoW